Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu [CAVE 2008]

Started by EOJ, January 28, 2008, 03:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

It's official. Cave's new game is a sequel to Dodonpachi called Do-don-pachi Dai-fukkatsu. Dai-fukkatsu translates to "great revival".
It is explicitly stated to be a sequel to DDP DOJ, but apparently the dolls are gone.
Check out Cave's webpage, they announce it will be shown at the AOU show on 2/15. Info and a pic of the title screen are on AMI's AOU show page:

http://cave-gameshow.cocolog-nifty.com/aou2008/

Namiki is doing the tunes.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Geezer

QuoteNamiki is doing the tunes.
Stage 1 and 2 will have good music then, not sure about the rest :|

GaijinPunch

Wow...IKD is such a liar!

Quotebut apparently the dolls are gone

Not necessarily... at least not by the description.
Maybe they have dicks this time!

RGC

Awesome news - especially the potential dicks part. Any chance of a translation from that page?  :)

GaijinPunch

It's not all that impressive.  Really rough, gut you get the idea...

The Pachi series... as stated in the title, is revived!
Six years after Daioujou, the long awaited sequel: Dodnpachi Daifukkatsu makes an appearance at AOU.
The setting will be "After Dodonpachi Daioujou".
What happened to the Element Dolls?  What enemies will appear this time?
A whole new story!

Sound designer is Basiscape's Manabu Namiki, who created Daoujo's amazing sound.
You can expect high level sound again!

rtw

QuoteSound designer is Basiscape's Gaku Namiki, who created Daoujo's amazing sound.
You can expect high level sound again!

Is this the same individual as Manabu Namiki ?

Since he was the one who created the music for DaiOuJou ?

rtw
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

freddiebamboo

Wow!  I'm shocked they've gone back to the pachi series :shock:  

I wonder if the difficulty progression will continue for this release?  Could be caves hardest ever game if they follow on from DOJ.

GaijinPunch

Edited the name.  It can actually be read both ways... although I should have known.

rtw

QuoteWow...IKD is such a liar!

May I ask why ?

rtw
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

RGC

Cheers GP :)

Fuckaduck! I'm not ready if it's likely to be harder than DOJ (mid ST4 on a good run).

Definitely looking forward to seeing the new artwork and eventual vids surrounding this. But realistically it'll be 2011 before I play the game, unless it's ported in the meantime.

CRI

wow i feel like forest gump now.
oh jennnnny! :shock:  

great news!  :righton:
can't wait for the first videos.

gsl

DoDonPachi's theme meets DeathSmiles' gameplay.  This time, you play as the dolls.

GP, any chance you'll be making the event and doing some reporting for the rest of us?  I'm mildly interested in seeing what an arcade industry trade show looks like, but I balk at the train fare out to bum-fuck Chiba and back.

KOMA

I'm not a big fan of DDP serie but i'm curious to see this game on SH3 board.

EOJ

I feel the same way Koma! :lol: I think this game is going to be gorgeous, can't wait to see it in motion. And I hope they will tune the gameplay in
a way that will make it more fun for a wider audience. I'm sure there'll still be chaining though.

Anyone else worried that this game is a sign that Yagawa is gone?   :(
My score archive

Max

Wonderful.

I realy LOVE the Pachi series. Can't wait to see videos and how it works.

Edit: I think if Yagawa is gone, Cave don't lose very much  :oops:

jpj

well, that'll be SOF-WTN out of retirement again!

i have mixed feelings on this one.  i haven't gotten enough out of doj yet, and here's a new game...?  i hope they don't double the number of bullets again, but add in some weird mechanic to compensate (ie reflecting, or some shit  :whyioughtta: ).

well at least this will be the death of arguments along the lines of "no, cave wont ever do a hori maniac...because 8 years ago, IKD said so in an interview..."   ;)

ddp on the sh3?  could be magical

EOJ

Quotei haven't gotten enough out of doj yet, and here's a new game...?

To be fair, you have had about 6 years. That's far more than the time they normally give between sequels.
My score archive

jpj

10 years, and i doubt i'd ever see hibachi

THE ALLETT

I so hope  Yagawa has not gone :cry:

GaijinPunch

QuoteMay I ask why ?

Well, supposedly he said at the show "we have no DDP game in production".  

In the DOJ:BL book he was asked in question 2
"Why the name 'Daioujou'?" to which he answered, "There's the fact that I personally don't like sequels, and wanted to make this the end.  If you're going to kill it, might as well be by your own hand (laughs), so in a nutshell, it means 'Daioujou suru ga yoi'".

djvinc

This IKD is a good liar. Another talent of his.

jpj

gsl

Dodonpachi Dai-jou-bu: Mushihimesama Ultra Mode bullet speed combined with Deathsmiles rank 1 bullet density.

Shalashaska

While I would have loved to see a sequel to Guwange I can't help but be excited about this. The DP series is what really got me into Cave and while I think DOJ would have been a fitting end, I can't wait to see this new one on the SH3 hardware. I'm just curious what more they can do to the system (assuming it isn't completely new or something) as DOJ is already pretty damn refined. This could be the first time I purchase a kit at release. :D Thanks for the awesome news EOJ.

hermosaguy

It is going to be really hard to top Futari and even Futari BL for me at least.  DDP is one of those games that is very hard to go back to after being spoiled with Mushi.  I guess I would rather play DDP than MMP though!

EOJ

According to am-net this will have a Spring 2008 release, so likely sometime in April or May.
Not a big surprise, but nice to know it will be released sooner rather than later.
My score archive

EOJ

Am-net's page on this game has been updated with an interview with Ikeda, asking him questions about Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu:
http://cave-gameshow.cocolog-nifty.com/aou2008/cat8154403/index.html

I have translated it here for the fine folks that frequent this site. :righton:

----

Q: After Daioujou, didn't you say the Pachi series was over?
IKD: For me, it was supposed to be the end. But, from a business perspective, I sorta had to read between the lines
of "it would be good to end it" and gradually see what I (should) do. [laughs]

Q: Why did the company give such airs to you? Was it that the fans were demanding a sequel?
IKD: Yeah, maybe, but it wasn't just the fans. The demand from the merchants was also great. When it's like that,
we can do nothing but strengthen our resolve.

Q: Please explain the concept and characteristics of "Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu".
IKD: The concept of this work is certainly more than "the clash of power vs. power", rather it is "If I am able to do it, I will answer". Well,
in a word, "Uaguguooae!".

Q: Um, so is it like a fist fight? With Mechas!?
IKD: It's not a fist fight like in Dogyuun. It's just, in terms of nuance, to call it "Dodonpachi Oogenka" (NOTE: "Oogenka" means 'huge fight') or
"Dodonpachi Uaguguo!" is a probably a bit more suitable.

Q: Ah. Anyway, what kind of game system will it have? Will it be the same as previous installments?
IKD: I can say it will feel the same as always, and I can say it will feel the same as always. For details, it's just a matter of looking forward (and waiting) until the AOU show.

Q: Why was this game established as a "sequel to Daioujou"? In terms of "Daioujou", being a "Daioujou" that does not produce a peaceful death (NOTE: "Daioujou" means 'peaceful death'), is it that there is some unfinished business left?
IKD: In the world of "Dodonpachi", because not much has been done outside of mechas, in making the overall view of this game come together, there was a request  from the designer's side to entwine the Element Dolls in the story. So in establishing that, it was placed in a position of being "the sequel to Daioujou".
Though as a game, while continuing the tradition of the Dodonpachi series more than "Daioujou", it includes new elements, and because of this it probably
doesn't feel much like "Daioujou".

Q: The element dolls from the last game will appear then?
IKD: I answered this just before, but yes, the Element dolls will properly appear in this game. Only, they will be a bit different. In a sense, the way
Cave tends to change things.

Q: Indeed, so other characters will be newly introduced, right?
IKD: Other characters? Hmm. Let me think...please find out about that at the AOU show.

Q: This game is "Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu", but isn't the Dodonpachi series righteous in its nature?
IKD: Yes! Yes, that's it. Essentially Donpachi is the pioneer. Personally, I started from Donpachi, so I want to support the "Donpachi" series, but the way of referring to it as the "Dodonpachi series" has become widespread...and really, a title like "Donpachi Academy Crossbow Club ~ Someday a Danmaku Celeb" seems a bit impossible, doesn't it.

Q: So, a Danmaku Celeb? Something like Kuroganeeze?

Q: To conclude, could you say something to all the fans and players?
IKD: This time, there is a "Dodonpachi" feel, but also new elements. It incorporates the new and old, so with those "various meanings", please look forward to it.
My score archive

RGC

ah, how tantalising! Dolls...check. New and old...hmm sounds deliberately ambiguous to me. I wonder if the old will equate with "easier". Personally, I don't think there will be any major changes to the chaining system, but Hypers will probably be ditched, and the original bees-for-bonus points reinstated.

As long as that laser is one fat mutha, that's all that really matters. 8)

Thanks EOJ  :righton:

EDIT: "the clash of power vs. power" --- a la Border down? :whyioughtta:

EOJ

I think there are 2 main possibilities for the Element dolls: 1)You'll be using them as characters, flying around on the screen like in deathsmiles, or 2)
they will be the bosses, like in Ibara. :? I'm hoping there is a super-cool third possibility I've missed here... :|
My score archive

RGC

QuoteI think there are 2 main possibilities for the Element dolls: 1)You'll be using them as characters, flying around on the screen like in deathsmiles, or 2)
they will be the bosses, like in Ibara. :? I'm hoping there is a super-cool third possibility I've missed here... :|

Surely 2 is more likely, else it just wouldn't be DDP. Fingers well and truly crossed for 3 though. Hey, rescuing a doll might be an acceptable alternative. That way you wouldn't have to see her 'til the end credits. :)