Akai Katana [Cave, ARCADE, August 19, 2010]

Started by EOJ, July 01, 2010, 03:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brentsg

The overall design and the bullet patterns look fun.

skykid

Man, I just filled the cup over this. It's exactly what I wanted Cave to do next.

I saw it in dreams.
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

rtw

From the videos it doesn't look like 15k, can anyone going to the location test try to determine resolution... please :) ?
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

SuperPang

It said 15k on the flyer and I think they're Egret II's. Looks low res to me.

EOJ has a point that the rendered graphics for the big planes etc look like a step up though. Although its hard to tell exactly how pretty it is from a Youtube video.

dorakyura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDYfDCcbny8

Yet another youtube movie. Low quality, shaky and lots of heads, but shows two players and a bit more of stage 3 (unfortunately the remaining player dies before the third boss can summon anything).

emphatic

Nice video. I just wonder if it's harder than it looks, considering there's not yet a video of anyone completing the third stage. Doesn't look that hard IMHO.

EOJ

Just about every Location test version of a Cave game has been harder than its final release, too.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

brentsg

It would be so cool if the 360 ports included the location test versions and such.

HVL

Quote from: brentsg on July 24, 2010, 05:36:26 PM
It would be so cool if the 360 ports included the location test versions and such.

Yeah, it'd be a really cool gimmick but I think it's pretty safe to say it's not happening, ever.

EOJ

M2 gave us Futari 1.01, that's about as much as we can hope for in a port. Cave wasn't so generous with DSII - it would have been a lot of fun to try out vers 1.0 and 2.0 in that game.
My score archive

Kewing

Wow wow wow, those look lovely. It was high time Cave released something like this. Scoring system looks quite complicated, but I like the galuda-esque approach (tho I'm not fond of the suicide bullets there, I hope it won't be much of an impact). Do I see a little DFK there, with the red laser cancelling? I don't know, but it looks like it may be mandatory for some places (stage 2 boss). Also gotta love the battleship summons in the boss battles; they are right down impressive.
Also, like it's been mentioned, there seems to be a lot of guitar in the background; maybe I wasn't too farfecthed and Hosoe's back? Or maybe Kamikura and Kudo are given a more prominent role in this one?

(Very minor detail, but I like they started using different colors for bullets again)

GaijinPunch

I would assume that most loke-test versions (in complete form anyway) are somewhat haphazardly taken care of.  When it all comes down to it the source code is no more than a collection of various routines and graphics.  Some of those graphics and routines would be overwritten, some would be substituted, some simply altered.  So, unless you're aiming to offer the loke-test version at a later date, it's an awful lot of crap to keep up with.  I think any programmer would agree it's awful practice to completely overwrite an older version of something, but maintaining an awful lot of code gets shitty cumbersome.

Back off that tangent, I've not made it down to Hey!.  That water balloon fight did hell on my ankles, so I got some well-deserved sleep this weekend.  I excercise a lot but never sprint (never for my life...especially when I'm just running from water).  W/ hindisght I should've been a total vaj and worn red & ridden my bike everywhere.

dorakyura

Guessing that they use some kind of version control system (svn, hg, git) going back from the final version to the loke test one shouldn't be that big of a problem, though. Of course this implies that the company doing the port would need access to the source of the loke version snapshot, too.

Even w/ such systems, it's added work... not to mention far less rigorous bug testing.

SuperPang

Quote from: EOJ on July 24, 2010, 05:49:34 PM
it would have been a lot of fun to try out vers 1.0 and 2.0 in that game.
I think the constant crashing would get annoying =D

Kaneda

I gave it a try this weekend and thought it kind of sucked.

They have a month to tweak some things but I don't think I'll be playing it much when it comes out. It looks badass, at least.

Ravid

So (and this is obviously pure speculation at this point) it looks like survival gameplay consists of going into ninja mode and building up a bunch of orbiting green things so that when the green meter depletes, the green things instantly recharge it and you go back into ninja mode.

I really hope there's more to it than that; this game seems to have some really cool patterns which I'd actually like to dodge.

It could have a kind of ESPGaluda II thing going on if they a) severely reduced the rate at which the green meter recharges (like to 1/3 of what it is now) and b) made it harder to push the bullets right off screen with the reflect power.

Ah well, enough speculation. I look forward to seeing some videos of the final version being played properly.

EOJ

Thanks for the impressions, Kaneda. If it feels at all like Futari Arrange, I don't think I'm going to like it.
My score archive

dorakyura

Two more youtube vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua3_nsVw8Lw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReXMV4WWCvQ

The first one tries to give an impression of the soundtrack (audio only). The second one shows stage 3 in decent quality and the guy actually lives long enough to have the boss summon something :-)

EOJ

I do see slowdown in that stage 3 vid, usually when you have a lot of items rotating your ship.
My score archive

Kaneda

Quote from: EOJ on July 25, 2010, 03:04:09 PM
Thanks for the impressions, Kaneda. If it feels at all like Futari Arrange, I don't think I'm going to like it.

Yea it feels a ton like Futari Arrange, mixed with some Galuda II if you screw yourself over leaving bullets on the screen. Very hectic, but not much fun.

EOJ

Also looks like some hit/chain system tossed in. Bleh. I think Asada said this was his first arcade game he was involved in. If so, maybe he should stick to making the crappy home port arrange modes.
My score archive

Tesuman

The Tokyo Tower in the opening is cute.

I guess the "circling tanks" had to be used again, which help justify the strange perspective.

HVL

Quote from: EOJ on July 25, 2010, 06:35:56 PM
Also looks like some hit/chain system tossed in. Bleh. I think Asada said this was his first arcade game he was involved in. If so, maybe he should stick to making the crappy home port arrange modes.

Yeah, the game is graphically awesome but the gameplay seems pretty damn underwhelming. It screams Futari Arrange all over the place. Also, since the release date is supposed to be in less than a month, I don't think we can expect any major improvements over the loke test version.

Chi_Ryu

Quote from: HVL on July 26, 2010, 01:44:19 AMAlso, since the release date is supposed to be in less than a month, I don't think we can expect any major improvements over the loke test version.

Agreed - until the (almost certain, given Cave's past form) 1.5 and Black Label releases, that is.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004

Monouchi

Only me that thinks it looks fun?  :P
Im drooling after collecting those rotating boxes, as many as I can!

SuperPang

After watching the videos properly I'm inclined to agree that theres a bit too much reflecting and not enough dodging going on. I hope they get the excitement factor right for the finished version because I love the design and I might be able to get the cash together (at the expense of everything else on my wishlist). I await more impressions.  :-\

markedkiller78

It does look a little too, undodgeable> hit barrier.

Still, the overall art direction looks promising and cave have yet to deliver a poor arcade score mechanic IMO.

I'll remain optimistic for the console release :)

Tesuman

Quote from: Chi_Ryu on July 26, 2010, 08:48:11 AM
Quote from: HVL on July 26, 2010, 01:44:19 AMAlso, since the release date is supposed to be in less than a month, I don't think we can expect any major improvements over the loke test version.

Agreed - until the (almost certain, given Cave's past form) 1.5 and Black Label releases, that is.

Beat me to it.   *laughs*

Tesuman

Say, what does it say in the bombs?

(Haven't seen the third one yet)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2044203&id=1092862733&l=503df5025f

(I know...it's a ghetto-as-hell way to post, but it's all I have that works)

Fu-ZAN

I'm surprised by the bad impressions given by the people who played it so far. Isn't there a notebook in the game center where players can write the pros and the cons ? If so, maybe Cave can still arrange a few things for the final version.