Espgaluda 2 Black Label [JP X360] - SE Region free, LE Region locked to Japan

Started by EOJ, July 13, 2009, 09:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPang

They've had localization interest, it was bound to happen. Good of him to clear things up. The region free version of EII is more of a gesture towards overseas fans than a money spinner I think, so good on em.

gsl

Quote from: Lunchbox on February 18, 2010, 06:26:37 AM
Wow!

This sounds like :"Stop mailing  us, you gaijin bastards!!!" :whyioughtta:

I don't see the point for that message, specially before they know how goes the sales overseas... (??)
I think it's probably not so much "Leave us alone, goddammit!" and more of a notice in a shift of their efforts.  Deathsmiles is coming stateside, it's pretty likely Guwange (in whatever release format it gets) will not be limited to Japan, and they intend worldwide distribution of this new 360 game as well.  The post just seemed like a heads-up for all the overseas folks who are going to be agonizing over every new console port and its region status; I think the subtext there though is "We're going to try for wider distribution on whatever comes next."  At least, that's how I see it.

Quote from: SuperPangThe region free version of EII is more of a gesture towards overseas fans than a money spinner I think, so good on em.
I really think this might be the case.  Futari's status was announced a long while in advance and with much fanfare; this one just kinda slipped out in the eleventh hour.  They were obviously satisfied enough with how Futari sold to greenlight Aksys's localization of Deathsmiles, so maybe they didn't have enough faith in the ability to actually get Galuda II localized and decided to make at least part of it a nice gift.  In any case, I'm pretty thankful they decided to do it, for whatever reason.

brentsg

This is good news.

This is a chance for the genre that we love to grow in a new market.  Sure, the hardcore fans don't care about localization if they could get an unlocked release.  Beyond that small group of people though, localizing the game is the only way for real growth.

Atstroboy

I don't see them starting to officially distribute the games outside Japan unless Death Smiles becomes a massive hit.

It will be a good test but I don't see it as a way to open or expand the market for STG considering the probable limited distribution, visibility and promotion... You guys have to buy a bunch of copies or get prepared to see the game sold off "a la" Senko no Rondo within a couple of weeks.

Lunchbox

Quote from: gsl on February 18, 2010, 02:38:22 PM
I think the subtext there though is "We're going to try for wider distribution on whatever comes next."  At least, that's how I see it.

Oh, maybe (i hope) you are right.
The only thing that surprised me is the fact that he don't seem to keep any open door for overseas market.
No arcades in Spain.

NR777

Quote from: Atstroboy on February 18, 2010, 02:59:13 PM
You guys have to buy a bunch of copies or get prepared to see the game sold off "a la" Senko no Rondo within a couple of weeks.

I somehow doubt that will happen.  If I remember correctly, Senko no Ronde was picked up by a major publisher who had no clue how to market this kind of title.  Aksys knows the audience they're targeting, so Deathsmiles should get a lot more exposure.  Of course, much of this is up to us.  Word of mouth can sell a lot of games.

brentsg

I think Cave is the kind of company that will facilitate either 1) future localizations or 2) region free, as long as the path taken continues to "pay for itself". 

I don't think this has anything to do with "massive hits".  Cave simply doesn't produce any massive hits, even in Japan.

PsychoDiver

Asada is tired of our whining for region free games.  :laugh: We "gaijins" are very adamant about our manic stg releases. I just hope Deathsmiles does well here, then we may see more localized ports. As for our European friends...well, I'm sure someone is going to figure out how to hack the regioning in 360's at some point.

adverse

Looks like the Play x Play with Asada is up on the XBL marketplace.

Witness the Hikari scrub play.

HVL

Quote from: adverse on February 20, 2010, 08:33:12 AM
Looks like the Play x Play with Asada is up on the XBL marketplace.

Witness the Hikari scrub play.

Cool, thanks for the heads-up.

EDIT: She's using the analog stick. :laugh:

lam47

brentsg

Schrodingers cat

Oh wow, it sounds like she's getting murdered when she screams.  Absolutely horrifying.

gsl

Just watched the Play x Play for this and Mushi Futari for good measure.  Asada's crazy-ass hair steals the show.

I have to say I find Hikari's full-on screams really funny, before she breaks into all the other assorted yowling.

adverse

Quote from: brentsg on February 20, 2010, 12:45:54 PM
Quote from: lam47 on February 20, 2010, 12:30:11 PM
She never seems to be any good at anything does she.

I bet she has some skills.

You know what she was randomly really good at? 

Halo Wars.  She practiced a lot for the Play x Play for that one and actually knew what she was doing.   :o

ookitarepanda

Quote from: gsl on February 20, 2010, 09:08:00 PMAsada's crazy-ass hair steals the show.

I am going to watch these ASAP! I like the mini-reviews you guys give.

gsl

Ouch, taken to school by xkcd.  :'(

Watch the video, though.  You'll agree that sort of nonsensical English is highly appropriate in this case.

purpbullets

Quote from: emphatic on February 18, 2010, 05:05:28 AM
New CAVE Blog post:

"Thank you

Thank you for the warm messages from all over the world.
Espgaluda II Black Label Normal Edition is region free.
But I'm afraid new games after Espgaluda II Black Label won't be region free.
I assure you that Espgaluda II Black Label Normal Edition will be the last region free game for the time being.

Cave

Makoto Asada"

Yeah im real curious about that, does that mean he plans on porting them?

Instead of putting a program onto the J-Region disc?

I'd rather have it region free.

Might be illegal to do so?

dcharlie

fingers crossed that it means they actively have someone who wants to publish the games globally.

Wishful thinking perhaps, may just be too much of a pain to go through the cert process for region free :/

lam47

I thought Asada's ass hair was much better. The red just looked like a cosplay wig.
My Weimaraner gets upset when Hikari screams. He likes the clapping though.

HVL

If I were a gay, I'd be gay for Asada and his hair.

Apparently P-A is already preparing the orders. Hopefully they ship out before the 25th.

Kiken

Quote from: Schrodingers cat on February 20, 2010, 05:46:41 PM
Oh wow, it sounds like she's getting murdered when she screams.  Absolutely horrifying.

Go watch the BioHazard 5 Play X Play or the L4D2 one... It's a miracle that Uchizawa can still hear.

Also, I liked the haiku in the ESP2 Play X Play

Hey, stupid fucker!
When in a Live versus match,
Get off your cell phone!

Jockel

As already requested, youtube up please? I don't have live on my JTAGed eggsbawks.

emphatic

Quote from: Jockel on February 22, 2010, 01:03:38 PM
As already requested, youtube up please? I don't have live on my JTAGed eggsbawks.

Can't you browse, shmups? There's a link in the ESPGALUDA II thread.  :whyioughtta:

Jockel

Quote from: emphatic on February 22, 2010, 02:12:30 PM
Quote from: Jockel on February 22, 2010, 01:03:38 PM

Can't you browse, shmups? There's a link in the ESPGALUDA II thread.  :whyioughtta:
Hold your horses, no need for the wanker-fist smiley.
Plus the Galuda 2 thread in shmups is so full of pointless crap that it's easy to miss something like that.
But thanks anyway ;P

emphatic

Quote from: Jockel on February 22, 2010, 04:43:38 PM
Hold your horses, no need for the wanker-fist smiley.
Plus the Galuda 2 thread in shmups is so full of pointless crap that it's easy to miss something like that.
But thanks anyway ;P

Not a YouTube vid, but still good: http://dic.nicovideo.jp/v/sm9779676

I'd never use that smiley on anyone but you though. 

HVL

Couldn't resist the Seseri faceplate. Now I've got SE and LE coming. :oogle:

EOJ

Official site is finally up (2 whole days before the game's release! How's that for pre-release marketing!):

http://www.cave.co.jp/gameonline/Xbox360/espgaluda2/
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999