Dodonpachi Saidaioujou [Cave 2012, ARCADE]

Started by joeks, December 21, 2011, 02:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaijinPunch

Quote from: TonK on April 26, 2012, 03:46:00 PM
lol, wut?

MAK has never not been taking orders.  50% down what?  50% time down the road?  50% off price? They couldn't keep up w/ demand so they are making more for half the price?  Sound logic.

SuperPang

Quote from: eckart on April 26, 2012, 04:57:34 PM
If i hear on headphones some samples are not 100% clean. A bit snow in the background.
Not sure if this is normal or my setup and a voltage issue.
This sounds like what I'm experiencing. It's like a rattle at the end of loud explosions right? hermosaguy has confirmed the same thing.

At this stage it seems unlikely that SDOJ will receive an update so I doubt it'll be fixed. Like I said before I doubt you'd even notice in an arcade. I can't even hear it in videos. I will be pissed if the second run have it fixed though. I might wait for one more person to confirm it and I'll email Cave.

Stoked to hear it's been a big success. I remember after Akai Katana flopped and Cave started saying the arcade wasn't viable any more I was wishing they would spend a year developing something simpler with longevity and no bugs to disprove that theory. They've really ticked all the boxes, hats off to them. If this doesn't save Cave's arcade business then fair play, stick with the iPhone crap.

Muchi Muchi Spork

The thing that might save their arcade business is not having 100+ employees or whatever they are up to now. Seems like a lot of mouths to feed for programs that usually need fewer than 10 people total, including the music.

The sound quality is hit and miss on the 3rd generation boards and I think it boils more down to the luck of what came out of their first try encoding the music and samples, that's sadly how it seems anyway. Ibara's music volume is so low vs. the samples I can't make it out without "ear squinting". Sound and sample quality in Deathsmiles is utterly pathetic and a lot of the samples have the problem you are describing times a million. You can turn the volume knob down all you want or the service mode output, it's still that crackling awfulness. Then there are others that turned out generally fine like Futari and Katana. If they cared about sound quality you'd see 4 sound roms with a higher bitrate used or even a better sound chip.

moozooh

Actually the crackling, "screamy" sound seems like the result of clipping from poor compression practices (dynamic range compression, not data compression). That and the uncomfortable amplitude difference between effects and music in Ibara are both the realm of sound engineering, so it seems the people responsible for that in their arcade division suck.

What codec are they using btw, isn't it some version of ADPCM? If it's something like 8-bit dithered, mono, 22050 Hz, it should take about 176 kbps, which is pretty modest for uncompressed signal.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

TonK

Quote from: GaijinPunch on April 27, 2012, 01:42:15 AM
Quote from: TonK on April 26, 2012, 03:46:00 PM
lol, wut?

MAK has never not been taking orders.  50% down what?  50% time down the road?  50% off price? They couldn't keep up w/ demand so they are making more for half the price?  Sound logic.

lol, wut?

Muchi Muchi Spork

I simply look at it as a combination of laziness (not forcing retries until it sounds good) and cheapness (literally cutting the sound quality in half to save a few dollars on rom chips). In bulk they probably get them for $1.50 each so $3/board difference for not using 4 roms.  You can program into a game the volume outputs so, don't know that I would be so quick with the finger pointing accuracy. I've heard different feedback on the sound and samples. Some say it's 32Khz. Some say the samples are actually half that and some sounds (like boss music, for whatever reason) is 44. I haven't gotten them open in an editor or whatever, just got second hand knowledge that I can't personally verify. I can only testify to what sounds good or bad. I don't know the bitrates. Seems to be variable or at least vary. Deathsmiles probably sounds worse because it has more songs to fit. It's like what happened with Hyper Street Fighter 2 Anniversary. The sound got reduced quality because of limited space available for sound on the CPS2 hardware.

GaijinPunch

lol, wut?

Sorry, I didn't catch that.

TonK

TimingTripod40

Kaneda

I watched some of the top players at HEY today and they've already come up with some nasty strategies. They really have their timing down on when to use a hyper so that when it starts to wrap up they're in a spot where they can trigger a recharge. A really nice one is triggering the hyper(s) a few seconds before the stage 2 boss is going to blow, setting up the hyper to end just as you destroy the first being destructible building in stage 3. Most of these recharges earned them 3 hypers, but the timing needs to be just right. In stage 5 you can get even more, as seen in that video EOJ posted.

While I saw some great playing for the first 3 stages, stages 4 and 5 continue to cause problems. No one kept their chain through either level.

As for me, I got to Hibachi finally but was taken apart pretty quickly. Her opening patterns seem to be the toughest.

moozooh

Quote from: Kaneda on April 28, 2012, 09:53:01 AMWhile I saw some great playing for the first 3 stages, stages 4 and 5 continue to cause problems. No one kept their chain through either level.

This is Shot/Laser, right? Have you seen anybody clear Expert? What are the top scores you've seen so far?
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

Kaneda

Yea, most people are playing shot/laser.

A-S seems to be the ship of choice. (For me, as well. Blasting through a stage with that thing with a hyper going is one of the funnest times I've had with a Cave game in a long time). Top score for A-S that I've seen is 10.8 billion.

LEN (I think that's his handle), a superb player at HEY who has held records for a few games, uses the B-L and scored 5+ billion without clearing the game and with numerous deaths and autobombs. Once he pulls a run together he'll have a massive score since his strategies were the riskiest, but most lucrative. (7 hypers leaving stage 1!)

The one guy I saw play Expert made it well into stage 5. It's tough, but no Ultra mode. I think his score was over 2.5 billion.

Sapz

Nice to know about the 7 hypers after stage 1 strategy - I was thinking something like that might be possible but hadn't seen anyone reach it yet on nico. I guess it's something along the lines of 2-3 hypers from a midboss recharge, another 1-2 from bees, 2 from the boss pods and shooting stuff making up the difference, right?

TimingTripod40

Quote from: Kaneda on April 28, 2012, 10:40:43 AM
The one guy I saw play Expert made it well into stage 5. It's tough, but no Ultra mode.
:'(

MikeNeko

The preorder for the OST is up at the online shop

http://www.cave-shop.jp/fs/caveshop/cvst0023

24p booklet and 3 cds, saidaioujou, maximum and arrange 4500jpy
Tracklist for saidaioujou:
0) kizashi
1) ran
2) taiji
3) kachi
4) niji
5) ai
6) hibi
7) michi
8 ) chikara
9) tenshi
10) shi
11) heiwa
12) saidaioujou

and 2 extra tracks: daioujou->daifukkatsu->saidaioujou and its karaoke version

eckart

Here is a link to the first level on mp3 with the sound problems:
http://www.ciaomichael.de/stuff/pics/sdo.MP3

It is normaly louder without the mp3 recorder plugged.
Realy not sure if this on all pcb`s. But i think so.

-Send this link also to fujita. Hope we get soon an answer from cave.

TonK

I'll give my impressions when my kit gets here Monday.

I'm really hoping I like it along the lines of DDP and DOJ.

I'll also report on any sound issues.

Anyone think a 1.5 is in the cards?

Thanks to EOJ for writing a guide - i'll be sure to follow it.

eckart

Tonk, gratulations to your purchase!  :righton:

Got response from fujita.
They are on holiday till 6.th may. After that they info cave about that problem.

Kaneda

adverse

Your image is broken brah. Luckily I took a picture.

Fucking boss shit.

Kaneda

Thanks! Now that that's out of the way, it's time to work on that score.

I saw LEN play more B-L at HEY. He's changed his strategy to not using any hypers during stage 2, then triggering 10 at once just before the stage 3 mid-boss. It's hairy stuff, but it seems to be worth the effort. He also chained all of stage 4, which isn't easy with the B-L.

SuperPang

That about sums up the scoring hook. It'a all about how many hypers you can grab and how long you can save them. You have to wean yourself off them as you learn the patterns so you can unleash the beast. Clever stuff.
Fantastic score btw :righton: 

SuperPang

Quote from: eckart on April 28, 2012, 03:40:23 PM
Here is a link to the first level on mp3 with the sound problems:
http://www.ciaomichael.de/stuff/pics/sdo.MP3

I'm struggling to hear it even here. It seems much worse on my cab. Two other people have confirmed crap audio samples so I think we're all talking about the same thing.

eckart

Yes it is, didn`t record it proper.
Wonder how cave react.

Kaneda, good stuff. :righton:

SuperPang

I doubt any arcades complained and so far there are no other bugs or gameplay breaking issues so I'd be surprised if they do anything unfortunately.

TonK

TonK

Quote from: Fu-ZAN on April 29, 2012, 12:20:17 PM
Just created a petition, please sign !
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/cave-port-dodonpachi-saidaioujou-to-xbox-360/

Dude, why don't you wait.

I really don't think Cave wants to read another petition right now.

If they want to port it, they will. I really don't see them not porting it, but I thought Mushi HD was their last game.

Fu-ZAN

Expectations on the french stg board were they were going to port it on another console. Read the description of the petition. And I thought it was better too soon than too late.