Main Menu

I haz some Cave questions

Started by skykid, September 16, 2010, 04:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hive

wow, that's an awesome-looking CRT, skykid  :lol:

I kinda wanna get one of those wide-screen CRTs someday.
I saw someone playing FFXII on one, and it looked so amazing in wide-screen mode!
Hive's "Colorphiles" Blog:  http://colorphiles.blogspot.com/

skykid

Quote from: Hive on September 18, 2010, 03:48:26 PM
wow, that's an awesome-looking CRT, skykid  :lol:

I kinda wanna get one of those wide-screen CRTs someday.
I saw someone playing FFXII on one, and it looked so amazing in wide-screen mode!

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. :) It cleaned up near new too.
But now I've got it powered up I need to get a remote to access the AV channels. It's meant to have a very good picture indeed, but I'll have to wait and see.
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

emphatic

Some RGB TV's will switch automatically to the A/V channel when they get a +5v on the correct pin in the scart connector.

Pin 16 I think: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

Medal

Good luck on that TV, skykid. I've gone through a couple old CRTs already, but I've never had as nice of one as that :O I'm becoming more and more tempted to take the plunge on an XRGB-* to display Ibara on a CRT monitor. It looks great on my TV, but it's still pretty crap.

Alternatively, I could just buy an arcade monitor and leave it bare on a desk somewhere, but I've got small, furry animals and younger children around. Probably isn't very safe.

Can't wait to see pictures of that TV in working order.

njiska

Quote from: Medal on September 19, 2010, 02:08:58 PM
Alternatively, I could just buy an arcade monitor and leave it bare on a desk somewhere, but I've got small, furry animals and younger children around. Probably isn't very safe.

You'd think that wouldn't you?

Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

Medal

WHOA! Amazing! Is there an easy-ish way to either input composite to that, or mod my supergun to output something else? That just looks too good to pass up when there's a guy not too far from me selling several arcade monitors. (Another guy is selling a stand-up Atomiswave, but I don't like any horizontal games enough to drop $400 on a horizontal cab + whatever the PCB would cost >_>)

njiska

I don't have a lot of experience with Super Guns, but since the PCB is outputting RGB 15KHz there's got to either be an option for it or a hack you can wire in. There's not exactly a lot to one.

Oh and since you expressed concern for the small children and animals, despite my pictures of my cat sniffing the flyback transformer, it's easy enough to build a rudimentary box from 2x2 and play wood to block access to most of it. Essentially you just build a crate with one open side and bolt the monitor frame directly to it.

Medal

Thanks a lot for this info! I can't wait to be able to see the entire screen when playing Ibara. Now the question is what to offer the guy for one of his monitors...

skykid

njiska

Quote from: Medal on September 20, 2010, 12:09:05 AM
Thanks a lot for this info! I can't wait to be able to see the entire screen when playing Ibara. Now the question is what to offer the guy for one of his monitors...

This one was $430 CAD, but I also bought it brand new from a manufacturer just down the road. Depending on what the monitors are in question the forum may be able to give you a better idea.

Also does any one remember what this thread was originally about or has it just become and off topic thread contained with in a topic based forum? And if that's the case is this a paradox?

GaijinPunch

Quote from: SuperPang on September 17, 2010, 01:08:06 PM
Quote from: skykid on September 17, 2010, 12:41:34 PM
Sigh, I wish I was a millionaire like Gaijinpunch.
Isn't everyone in Japan?

Not those of us that get paid in USD.

skykid

Quote from: njiska on September 20, 2010, 07:07:49 AM
Also does any one remember what this thread was originally about or has it just become and off topic thread contained with in a topic based forum? And if that's the case is this a paradox?

I chucked up a load of questions in the original post, most of which EOJ kindly divulged and saved me hours of searching. I added the TV thing because after experiencing lag on Mushi futari, someone suggested getting a CRT TV and playing arcade mode - then one turned up.

It's been fun though.  :)

moozooh

Actually, the 360 port of Futari has adjustable input lag. If you notice lack of responsiveness on your LCD, just reduce it to the minimum value.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

skykid

Quote from: moozooh on September 23, 2010, 12:32:41 PM
Actually, the 360 port of Futari has adjustable input lag. If you notice lack of responsiveness on your LCD, just reduce it to the minimum value.

Really? So that's in the normal options screen (somewhere, Futari has quite a lot of options..  :P)

moozooh

Quote from: skykid on September 24, 2010, 01:55:20 PM
Really? So that's in the normal options screen (somewhere, Futari has quite a lot of options..  :P)

Yeah, here in the video. Unfortunately I don't know if 1 frame is the minimal value* (I don't have the game yet), or what's set by default.

* ? Some games, like the first Mega Man on NES, have 0 input lag, meaning that corresponding action is rendered on the same frame a button is pressed. Super Metroid on SNES has one frame of lag by itself and one due to SNES's frame buffer. If Cave's arcade boards have a frame buffer, then it's most likely that reduction is done by other means and you won't get less than 1 frame of lag; getting around frame buffer can be a bit tricky, although still possible: it commonly incurs massive performance overhead to avoid potential artifacts. Being a member of TASVideos.org since 2005 helps with stuff like this, haha.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

EOJ

If I put it on -1 (tearing), it felt pretty close to a CRT, but it had screen tearing, obviously, which is pretty distracting. Anything above that setting and the lag was too much for me on my LCD.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

emphatic

Quote from: EOJ on September 24, 2010, 05:54:11 PM
If I put it on -1 (tearing), it felt pretty close to a CRT, but it had screen tearing, obviously, which is pretty distracting. Anything above that setting and the lag was too much for me on my LCD.

It can also depend on what type of output is being used. A friend of mine used component output from his 360, and the lag was horrible, and this was on a PLASMA. Switched to HDMI and the lag was no longer present.

EOJ

I use HDMI. Input lag mainly depends on your HD tv/monitor. Most of them (lcd/plasma) have horrific lag, unfortunately.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

skykid

Quote from: EOJ on September 24, 2010, 05:54:11 PM

This is the reason these ports are failing me.  :-\

Thanks for the advice guys.