Author Topic: My Guwange HORI stick (360)  (Read 1701 times)

Offline emphatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ultra Member
  • Awesome.
    • My PCB collection
My Guwange HORI stick (360)
« on: October 14, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Update!!! Mod finished:

Now modded to completion (just about).

Inside shot:

The HORI sticks use a PCB for their crappy buttons (in their cheaper sticks) which unfortunately for anyone who wants to mod these means: hole widening, wire extending and crimping/soldering. The joystick HORI makes aren't as dreamy as the arcade standards I'm used to, so that meant A: REALLY time consuming modding, or a B: "quick fix". I went with option B.

You drill (by hand) four holes in a SANWA JLF gate and put it in place using the HORI screws. I also changed those loosey goosey switches for the ones' found in Seimitsu LS-32. The new spring is from an LS-32 that I pulled on 'til it grew twice it's length. Stick is much nicer now.

I only want 4 buttons, and buttons plugs seems to intrusive (I like my artwork too much) so I just put the artwork over the holes. The overlay is printed by GameOnGraphics, and although not as thick as the HORI sticker, it's very durable.

To cut my new artwork for size, I used the Tekken 6 artwork as a guide. It had glue residue still, so it stayed in place well on top of my new overlay. I got a bit over-confident though, and screwed up the sync-button hole as well as that corner slightly.

I had lots of success with the button "fillings" though:

"You mess with me you get the horns":

The orange 24 mm Seimitsu's turned out really nice as well:

Another shot:

As I fit the artwork to a nice stick opening spot, I always wanted it in the curve of the Guwange logo, and that went very well. Inspired by the button fillings, I saved the stick cutout piece and put it around the shaft, covering the stick assembly. Looks very nice, especially thanks to one of Franco's washers and won't interfere at all with the mechanics of the joystick:

I got an extra overlay, so if I get bored I will make a better cutting job and switch out this botched attempt.

Original first post:

I've started to mod a HORI Tekken 6 Wireless stick and am considering switching the artwork while I'm at it.

I've made a couple of designs so far, but I'm not sure which one to use. I haven't played the game enough to have a favorite character, so on one design, I went with all three, on the other I went with the one I think is most bad ass. The mask-guy one has colored text by the buttons (these will be switched out though, probably all white/pearl buttons) and that is likely to change.

Small picture of all three characters:

One big picture of the mask-guy:

The background color is supposed to be goldish not brownish.  :) This is probably going to be changed for some subtle texture or some feudal artwork like the promo art for the game.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:01:24 PM by emphatic »

Offline KOMA

• Maniac Member
Re: Considering Guwange art for my stick, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 01:51:49 PM »
The second one is much better imo

Offline HVL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 02:23:03 PM »
The second one is much better imo

Yeah. Oni mask equals automatic win.

Offline emphatic

• Ultra Member
  • Awesome.
    • My PCB collection
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 05:25:44 PM »
Thanks for you input, I'm quite fond of the second myself.!  :righton: I think I'll go all the way and put some bonus item explanations etc at the top but I'll try to keep it as clean as possible.

Offline emphatic

• Ultra Member
  • Awesome.
    • My PCB collection
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 08:36:05 AM »
I think I have my final design now:

The trees are meant to look like the title screen. I've added a tiny drop shadow on all items that I'm not completely sure about but it is often a popular choice with artwork for consumer sticks and I want it to look as "official" as possible.

I also found a better font that looks kinda like the one used in the game for "CREDIT" etc. As you can see, I think I'll go with transparent buttons and cut out the inserts. But plain colored ones would of course look more like a factory made product.

Offline njiska

• Maniac Member
    • Njiska's Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 11:28:09 AM »
With the artwork on the buttons that looks really, really nice.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

Offline thestreetzking

• Maniac Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 04:54:45 PM »
I like it a lot, and a lot better with the transparent buttons. I just got my TE stick so im working on some art now, kinda hard to pin it on one game LOL

Offline Medal

• Maniac Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 05:46:12 PM »
That's looking pretty sex, emph. I'd personally leave the Hori and the Home off, though.

Offline emphatic

• Ultra Member
  • Awesome.
    • My PCB collection
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 06:06:31 PM »
That's looking pretty sex, emph. I'd personally leave the Hori and the Home off, though.

I think the HORI logo is cool, that's why I added it. And the "Home" label is there because I put labels by the other buttons. But I see what you mean, it doesn't need explaining what it does. :D And by that logic you could argue that there are labels missing for the action buttons as well.

Offline emphatic

• Ultra Member
  • Awesome.
    • My PCB collection
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 05:50:54 PM »
Mod finished, see first post!

Offline Medal

• Maniac Member
Re: My Guwange HORI stick (360)
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 09:37:14 AM »
Gasp! Very nice looking, even with the rough cut. How many hours do you think you put into this project, in all?

Offline emphatic

• Ultra Member
  • Awesome.
    • My PCB collection
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 10:09:27 AM »
Gasp! Very nice looking, even with the rough cut. How many hours do you think you put into this project, in all?

Cheers! Well, the artwork took the longest to compose, surely 4 hours. The actual modding after that took perhaps 3-4 hours all in all. I did the inside modding first (about 1.5 hours in total) then the artwork switch-out, maybe 2 hours because of the "delicate" (insert facepalm smiley here) work with the blade.

Offline Shalashaska

• Maniac Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 11:36:10 AM »
Looks fantastic!  :righton: