Main Menu

Mushihimesama PS2 vs PCB

Started by RGC, February 13, 2008, 06:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGC

After two quick runs on the PCB's Maniac mode, I've decided that compared to the home port the PCB definitely is superior. However, just how superior is still very much open for debate. Here they are side by side (just received the board today): 

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/RGC_photos/B3.jpg
Version = ????
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/RGC_photos/A2.jpg
Version = ????

Comparative videos would be the proper way to present this, I know. That's why this is just for fun - it's not meant to initiate an argument between the "purists" and the spendthrifts.

With Mushi, I know the main differences are all about how slowdown is implemented. I guess this could be an important issue for Ultra mode. But for Maniac and Original this scarcely seems to matter. Hence, since there are otherwise few visual diferences, IF I can afford it, I'll probably hang onto the PCB for a month or so and then trade up to something not available on home port. I really don't think I can justify the amount this has cost me (although I got a very good deal) when I have a perfectly serviceable PS2 port sitting right there. The question is, what should I trade up to, and how much extra would it cost? I don't give a monkey's about artwork. I'm talking bare boards here. Any comments or recommendations?

SuperPang

Nicely done. Its obvious to anyone who owns both that its not an Arika quality conversion but its cool to see such nicely done pics to point out the detail.

GaijinPunch

Slowdown (or shitty, strobe slowdown I should say) kills Maniac mode in plenty of places.

jpj

nice one rgc :)

although if it was me, i'd have done it as a poll, and then just take two shots from the same version anyway, just to be annoying!  :lol:

also, don't wanna annoy anyone, but here in europe we have CRT TV's that accept an RGB signal.  if you're playing the ps2 version and hooking it up through s-video/composite/component it will definitely look worse than the pcb.

EOJ

Quote from: jpjnice one rgc :)

although if it was me, i'd have done it as a poll,
Polls aren't installed here yet.:/ That reminds me, I need to do that today and get the rest of the smilies up at least.

Quote from: RGCWith Mushi, I know the main differences are all about how slowdown is implemented. I guess this could be an important issue for Ultra mode. But for Maniac and Original this scarcely seems to matter.
Here's the lowdown:

PCB Ultra mode has LESS slowdown than the PS2 version. In my opinion scores from these two versions are not comparable, as the PS2 version is easier.

PCB Maniac mode has more slowdown and it is smoother. The PS2 version is a bit harder due to this, so again the scores among the two versions are not really comparable. There are also a few bullet patterns, most noticably the stage 4 boss, which were altered for unknown reasons in the PS2 rev.

PS2 Original mode plays a bit faster than the PCB, making it harder. Again, scores are not comparable.

To summarize
PCB Ultra = harder
PS2 Maniac = harder
PS2 Original = harder

All in all the PCB version is vastly superior, and this becomes more and more apparent the more you play it. However, for casual players, it probably doesn't make much of a difference. As for other games to buy instead of this, try mushi futari 1.5! Should run around $600-$700 for a bare PCB, if you can find one on YAJ or whatever.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

RGC

In case anyone was unsure, the bottom screenshot is the PCB version. The port does look a little washed out colour-wise, and lacks some definition, but nothing major. I suppose it really is all about how slowdown affects the control.

Anyway, I'm pleased with your clarification EOJ, because it makes my shitty scores on PS2 maniac and original seem a whole lot better. I believe most in the top 20 on shmups are playing the arcade version. :D

Futari 1.5 for $600-700 eh - that could well be a plan! I could probably do my Mushi board + $100 if anyone has a spare Futari kicking about? No? Fuck!

Sycada

Yeah I just managed to score a little extra cash and picked up a Futari 1.5 for about 650. Can't WAIT till it shows up. :D
I loved mushi (on PS2 even) so I'm really looking forward to it.

RGC

Quote from: SycadaYeah I just managed to score a little extra cash and picked up a Futari 1.5 for about 650. Can't WAIT till it shows up. :D
I loved mushi (on PS2 even) so I'm really looking forward to it.
Let me know if you decide you don't like it. ;)

I was feeling pretty knackered last night, but thought I'd have a quick go on Original mode to see how it compares to the port. Suffice to say, I 1'CCd it with a life in stock without too much effort (S-type). Normally my skills go out the window in the late hours, especially if I'm feeling brain-dead. This means either my general shooting skill has improved or that the PCB original really is easier than the PS2. Possibly both.

Definitely want to hear your first impressions of Futari, Sycada.

Sycada

Heheh, will do :)
The time is getting closer RGC. There was a screw up with the price but it's all been sorted now and instead I'm getting a brand new kit (for more money of course) from fujita. It was the last one apparently.
after all the addiction to Mushi on PS2 I've suddenly discovered the love for DaiOuJou. I totally ignored it when I first picked it up but now I'm consumed by it. I don't have a lot of time to game these days but it's the only game I'm playing :)

EOJ

I have been playing both the PS2 and PCB Ultra modes lately, and it is becoming more and more apparent how different they are. PS2 Ultra is significantly easier, has a ton of more slowdown, and sometimes even the on-screen-display will disappear because the PS2 can't handle what's going on (this never happens in the PCB version). Also, the bullets overall move slightly slower in the PS2 than the PCB, contributing to the ease. All in all, Ultra is the worst of the 3 modes, in terms of accuracy with the PCB (and that's saying something, as the other two modes have glaring problems with PCB accuracy).
My score archive

GaijinPunch

EOJ

Yes. 10 times.

...of course if by "clear" you mean turning the game off in anger, thus "clearing" the monitor. I did that about 10 times today
My score archive

jonny5

when it comes to the graphics, there is no comparison whatsoever....the PCB looks soooooooooo much better...especially the backgrounds

GaijinPunch

There's a stage 3 opening comparison video floating around (both of them running side by side).  They aren't even close to in unison.

EOJ

Got a link? I remember having a compilation vid showing a bunch of differences in speed in parts of levels between the PS2 and PCB versions, and even in bullet patterns. But I seem to have lost it...
My score archive