problems with muchi muchi pork pcb

Started by eckart, November 14, 2010, 02:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eckart

Hi,

got the pcb two days ago and realy enjoy this great game. :righton:

Anyway i got sadly little problems. Not sure if this is the supergun or the pcb.

I had maybe five times freezes with the sound goes on and stops after a while. After reboot the game works fine again.
And once i had at the beginning of level three wrong backgrounds.

Did anybody know something about a reset option or anything else to do?
My other pcb`s works fine with the supergun, btw.

Anybody an idea?

EOJ

This happens on some MMP PCBs. I had to send one in to Tops to get fixed as it would freeze on the stage 4 midboss once in awhile.
The music would drop out after the midboss too.

Check the voltage of your cab - MMP PCBs are apparently picky and if it's a little off, they get screwed up. I've heard some people fix the voltage and the problems went away.

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

eckart

I had a freeze after the midboss in level three.
Hope it is the voltage issue..-check this tomorrow.

Maybe a problem is that i live in a ten family building.
So the voltage may changes from time to time a bit.- don?t know.

Thanks!

kernow

You need to measure the +5 and +12 voltages coming from your supergun. its either too high or too low. If you have a +5 adjust potentiometer on your superguns power supply,  you can set this accordingly. (do not do this with your pork PCB as its expensive). Measure with one of your cheaper PCB's.

You need a multimeter!  :)

+5 should be as close to 5.00 as possible, up to 5.15 or so is fine though really.
+12 can be a bit more loose, as long as its pretty near it'll be ok.

Please don't fry that lovely game!  :mad:

eckart

Thanks kernov!

I have a multimeter, but my supergun is not adjustable.:(
Guess i have to buy a proper one.

kernow

Picture of the supergun and its PSU? Possibly?

markedkiller78

Quote from: eckart on November 15, 2010, 05:12:06 AM

Thanks kernov!

I have a multimeter, but my supergun is not adjustable.:(
Guess i have to buy a proper one.

You might as well test the voltages if you have a multimeter. It?s an easy 2 min job & it will make troubleshooting much easier.

eckart

My supergun is the same this guy is selling:
http://cgi.ebay.de/MAK-SUPERGUN-Stick-Neo-Geo-MVS-Atomiswave-JAMMA-/160504212769?pt=Automaten&hash=item255ecbed21

Anyway, i bought a new supergun now, with able to adjust the +5 volt.

- Hope i can check the voltage on my old supergun the next days.
Didn`t find the multimeter, but i have a guy on my street here who is selling videogames. Guess he can help.

Till later!

thechop

Had this happen a few times on an Aero City cab, usually just when it was left running and not played, its never happened in my Atomiswave sit down so assume it is a voltage issue as the Aero's PSU was original and old.

kernow

Looks like a PC power supply to me, usually the +5 on those is quite a bit higher than 5.0v, thats probably your issue. Hopefully the new supergun will be better.

eckart

Just checked the volt and got a 5,12. - You guys think this is enough to cause the mistakes?

kernow

Not really, is that while the board is connected and running?

eckart

Yes, the system was running. Also tested a other pcb ( terra cresta ) and had a 4,62.

kernow

That's quite odd how its so low with that PCB, hmm.

eckart

After i fit the pcb on a wood plate ( bevore it lays on a cardboard ) no more errors noticed.
Hope this holds on. I canceled the deal with the new supergun.

-Not realy know what the problem now was...

Muchi Muchi Spork

Measuring different types of boards on their edge connector plugged into the same power supply at the same output level, especially old 80's games vs. recent boards is almost always going to give a different voltage. I wouldn't go over 5.10 measured directly on the power supply outs and you'll always get less than that when measuring pads on an powered up board's edge connector. 5.12 on an edge connector is definitely too high. You want more like 5.00.