Main Menu

Magnetized screen.

Started by Lunchbox, November 20, 2010, 07:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunchbox

My old 29 inches tv (sony wega) died last weekend.

I bought a lovely sony Kv-29x5e, a huge improvement regarding picture quality (it's really awesome). But I have a problem.
In tate  (and it's supposed to be in tate) shows a magnetized area in the right bottom corner of the screen ( because  the speakers, i guess).
Once in-game I  hardly even noticed the problem, so I think I could live with the issue.

Should I be worried about a progressive magnetization of a bigger area of the screen?
Any solution to that?

Thanks.

No arcades in Spain.

SuperPang

Quote from: Lunchbox on November 20, 2010, 07:05:03 AM
Should I be worried about a progressive magnetization of a bigger area of the screen?
Not if it's going to stay where it is. If you do have to move it again, make sure its completely off before doing so. To be honest, the TVs demag coil should take care of it but some TVs are less effective than others, it may even be faulty. Try switching it off and on a few times as it should degauss when its turned on. If all else fails, by a degaussing wand off ebay.

Lunchbox

Thanks mate.

So, are not the speakers causing the splotch? that's what I used to think 'cause by setting the tv in yoko, the magnetized area dissapears.
No arcades in Spain.

SuperPang

I'm not sure, if it goes back to normal when in yoko then it's simply because the TV wasn't designed to be rotated. Ie either the degauss coil is ineffective on its side or as you say it's a shielding issue with the speakers, although in my experience badly shielded speakers tend to cause screen flicker.

You need a degauss wand basically :)

Lunchbox

No arcades in Spain.

njiska

Quote from: Lunchbox on November 20, 2010, 11:50:32 AM
Thanks mate.

So, are not the speakers causing the splotch? that's what I used to think 'cause by setting the tv in yoko, the magnetized area dissapears.

I got a good lecture on this when I bought my arcade monitor. Long and short, the display was originally calibrated for horizontal viewing. Turning it vertical changes the way the earth's magnetic fields act on the display creating the patch you're experiencing.

If the built in Degauss doesn't do the trick, follow SuperPang's advice and get the degaussing wand. You could also strap three magnets to the end of a drill bit, but that's not necessarily a good idea.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!