Eschatos [JP X360, April 7, 2011] - REGION FREE

Started by EOJ, November 23, 2010, 03:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Decent looking vert coming this Winter from Qute, who made Judgement Silversword on the wonderswan. Pics:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201011/22036004.html

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

fuse

When I heard they were doing something on the 360 I was hoping it'd be a shooter. Does indeed look decent, shall be looking forwards to this.

EOJ

According to the official site, this game is going to be region-free:

http://eschatos.qute.jp/

"This game is released only in Japan, but it will be worldwide-region disc.
(THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR OUTSIDE OF JAPAN.)
"

Pretty surprising from a small developer! Release date is March 24th.
My score archive

Van_Artic

Judgement silversword is my favourite portable shmup, it's very nice to see it to the X360
i'll get this asap

fuse

Yep, looking likely I will be buying this. It's out 4 days before my birthday too.

I'd have probably bought Judgement Silversword before too if it wasn't the best part of ?100, so that is an added bonus.

twoup

The promo video looked pretty cool, I'm not big on that 3D angle that popped up here and there but still fairly excited. I've wanted to play judgement silversword for a while but don't bother with emulators generally and didn't want to front the 200 bucks or whatever it goes for so this is great. I almost want to get a 2nd copy for my woman since it's region free but might have to wait and see how it plays. 2011's going to be another great year for shooters in any case.

Kewing

I'm just amazed that there's so much extras right off the bat in a normal edition, unlike other certain companies...
Even if I'm not totally convinced on the perspective (gives some Raystorm vibes), it still looks quite cool; I'm quite excited about it, specially because of its soundtrack, which if I'm not wrong comes included with the game as well.
Man, Yosuke Yasui turned me into a loyal fan of his, now. Seriously kick-ass music.

hipgnosis

Yeah this game is worth it because of that music only, so damn good. Will be getting this package for JSS at least, Eschatos is a nice bonus,  ;)

So will there be a Limited Edition or is it just Normal Edition with that preorder bonus soundtrack?

antares

I don't get why people get excited about this. Two upscaled handheld games which will look like shit on the big screen and one new game that looks even worse than Triangle Service's games. Gameplay also looks pretty mediocre and boring  :P

Of course I don't want to judge a game before it's even out and I have played it but I'm certainly not hyped at all for this.

EOJ

My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

Terramax

Quote from: antares on January 22, 2011, 06:37:25 AM
I don't get why people get excited about this. Two upscaled handheld games which will look like shit on the big screen and one new game that looks even worse than Triangle Service's games. Gameplay also looks pretty mediocre and boring  :P

I'm sort of thinking the same thing here. Whilst the music sounds great, and the subpar graphics can be overlooked, I'm not sure I can overlook the $79.90/ ?49.59 price tag on this. Should this be a budget title I'd snap this up in a heartbeat, but for the same price as a Cave title...

EOJ

This game's March 24th release date has been delayed due to the earthquake/tsunami in Japan. A new release date was not given:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/18/xbox360_delays/
My score archive

njiska

This kind of a mixed blessing for me. Sucks the games are delayed, but the extra cash in my pocket from not paying for them next week is kinda needed.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

EOJ

According to ncsx.com this is coming out April 7th, same day as Bullet Soul.
My score archive

SuperPang

Quote from: EOJ on April 01, 2011, 02:52:25 PM
If that's true I might EMS the pair, although I have a feeling at least one of them will be up for sale within a week.

EDIT: Done

everlust

Dunno about most, but I'm super excited about this one mainly because of the look and music xD.

Not liking the weird view changes, but something different i guess.
But what to play first, Bullet Soul or this? I think I'm just gonna settle for the WonderSwan titles included : P
Judgement Silversword is ace.

charlienash87

Quote from: EOJ on April 01, 2011, 02:52:25 PM

i put these on the same order so long ago. what luck :o the hype for these 2 games is rising fast now
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

EOJ

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HSCM7TuIK0

Looks really ugly, like something from the PS1. Gameplay also looks blah, so I'm glad I passed on this.
My score archive

TheSoundofRed

I have to agree that the graphics are pretty terrible for a retail release. Oddly enough I don't mind the graphics too much though, I find the aesthetic endearing. Plus, the music is soooo good. Sound effects sound like they were ripped straight from Judgement Silversword though. It's a mixed bag, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

Sadly I can pretty much guarantee that when my AmiAmi package arrives I'll be playing Bullet Soul first  =D

EOJ

I'll wait to see more of the gameplay, especially high level scoring. If it still looks unappealing, I'll pass. I can get past the graphics if the game has a really good scoring system, but from what I've seen, I don't think that's the case.

I also didn't care for Judgement Silversword, and I have no interest in playing that again.
My score archive

twoup

I liked how shit it looked, I know that sounds odd but then again I like Triangle Service stuff too. I also think the music sounds great & I was looking into wonderswan stuff as there were very cheap WS crystals at a shop here but the only game I really wanted was the incredibly expensive judgement silversword so I'm glad I get a chance to play JS without spending $200+. If the 3D angle parts are sparse then the main game might be quite good as well, who knows.

EOJ

So, for people who have it, how's the scoring system?

Are there replay uploads/downloads on the leaderboards?

This hard mode video has me a bit more interested in the game:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm14124905
My score archive

TheSoundofRed

I'm really enjoying the game so far. Been playing it about twice as much as Bullet Soul.

The scoring system for Original mode is extremely straight forward. You build a multiplier by clearing the screen of enemies for each area. The multiplier will only decrease if you fail to destroy all the enemies or are killed. It sounds really simple, but the trick comes when you have to figure out which shot types to use in order to clear all the enemies and not drop your multiplier.

Advanced Mode is a bit harder to explain since I don't necessarily understand it fully myself. I'd say it's a mash up of Original Mode and Trigger Heart Excelica. The similarities with Exelica are that when you destroy enemies with your shield they give you items, the longer you have your shield active the more items you collect (I also think they increase in size as well ie THE but I can't be 100% sure). This mode is interesting since when you gain powerups (that are not present in Original Mode) your forward and wide shots become stronger, but you lose the Max amount of shield power you have. I need to play this mode a bit more to get used to it.

That's all the info I've been able to glean from just playing for about 3 hours.

EOJ

Sounds good, advanced mode reminds me of Pink Sweets somewhat, with the shot power-ups and the shield.
My score archive

TheSoundofRed

Quote from: EOJ on April 10, 2011, 02:02:34 PM

Are there replay uploads/downloads on the leaderboards?

edit:

I guess you need to unlock the ability to download/view replays. It's some option leveling system. You have to be level option 20. Bleh.

espibara

STill not sold on this and the price is quite steep, the enemies look random generic shapes rather than actual enemey ships of any design form. ALso dont like how the viewpoint changes just distorts the ship sprite to fit rather than recsalling the sprite to the correct angle

TheSoundofRed

Quote from: espibara on April 10, 2011, 06:31:37 PM
STill not sold on this and the price is quite steep, the enemies look random generic shapes rather than actual enemey ships of any design form. ALso dont like how the viewpoint changes just distorts the ship sprite to fit rather than recsalling the sprite to the correct angle

The viewpoint changes aren't as jarring as a lot of folks are assuming them to be. The camera angle shifts while the vertical bounding box remains intact. It's something you get used to fairly quickly. It adds a cinematic quality to the game similar to the recently released Strania. The enemy ships do look pretty generic but there are is quite a large variety of them so I don't see any reason to complain.

I bought the game for a little bit over $60 and the shipping would come to about $7. So that's $70 for 3 games, one having 3 modes, 2 of which have 4 difficulties in each. For me, it was well worth the money. But again... that's me.

Oh a quick update on Advanced Mode for those of you interested. You only get items when you destroy enemy BULLETS with your shield. These items get bigger the more power ups you get. So the trade off is you get less shield power, but more points per item. Also, the multiplier goes up for every power up that you get along with the same way as in Normal Mode. I really am liking Advanced mode since it has a bit more meat in the scoring mechanics. Another cool thing is when you collect items, if you continue to hold Shield, they will revolve around your ship a la Akai Katana.

EOJ

Various Eschatos goods are up in Qute's webshop now:

http://webshop.qute.co.jp/

If you can find someone in Japan to get them for you. I don't think they ship international.
My score archive