Ketsui 1-1 Pre-Mid-Boss Scoring

Started by Exo, December 03, 2010, 11:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exo

Hi.
I just wanted to ask if any of you know what this guy is doing to get such a high ammount of multiplier and stage chips from the small mobs before the mid-boss(as shown in the vid).
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0HPGCJDJ
Would be awesome if somebody here could help me with it.
Thanks alot for your help ! :)

kernow

Having trouble downloading the video amigo, says theres a problem with the download.

I know what you mean though, I can never seem to get much from it, I usually have about 1.8mill when its dead - I just try to grab a 5 chip from one of the small vehicles just before it dies. Man I'll never get any good at the scoring in this.

Exo

Quote from: kernow on December 03, 2010, 04:08:09 PM
Having trouble downloading the video amigo, says theres a problem with the download.

I know what you mean though, I can never seem to get much from it, I usually have about 1.8mill when its dead - I just try to grab a 5 chip from one of the small vehicles just before it dies. Man I'll never get any good at the scoring in this.
Well i wasnt talking about the mid-boss (got no problem there ^^ just low score multiplier (7xx)).
I mean the area right before the mid-boss spawns.
I dont have problems scoring in 1-1.
I usually get about 18-19 million by the end of the stage but id really like to get closer to the wr :/
Chipcounter during the midboss is 9xx-7xx when it should be 10xx-8xx.

P.S.: If megaupload is bitching just reload the page a few times for about a minute and it'll be available again.
(You can also watch it on megavideo http://www.megavideo.com/?d=0HPGCJDJ)

cstarflare

I haven't downloaded the video, but I suspect what's happening is he's hitting the Shot button right before the enemy dies. I believe the system works something like this:

a) If you kill an enemy while pressing A, you get extra chips based on your current chip "chain."
b) If you kill an enemy while your options are in lock-on position, you will apply your multiplier to the kill (and lose some of it in the process)
c) There is lag between a and b while your options are moving into position. You can exploit this to get extra chips without sacrificing any of your multiplier.

Exo

Quote from: cstarflare on December 03, 2010, 07:54:06 PM
I haven't downloaded the video, but I suspect what's happening is he's hitting the Shot button right before the enemy dies. I believe the system works something like this:

a) If you kill an enemy while pressing A, you get extra chips based on your current chip "chain."
b) If you kill an enemy while your options are in lock-on position, you will apply your multiplier to the kill (and lose some of it in the process)
c) There is lag between a and b while your options are moving into position. You can exploit this to get extra chips without sacrificing any of your multiplier.

Yeh I suspect as much. The problem is its a pretty large bunch of popcorn enemies and hes executing the bug in quick succession while still getting loads of extra chips. its just REALLY weird to execute i guess^^
Oh well maybe I'll get it down this week and finally break 20 mil :P

ave

As cstarflare said. In the end, it comes down to knowing when an enemy is gonna die. The first two bigger ships are a perfect chance to practice this technique, I'm doing it like the following: shoot with rapid fire just until he shot his 4th wave of shots, then hold A (you can hold both buttons at the same time if you want, I think it feels better that way). The trick also works with the first power-up ship, but because of its low ship energy it's much much harder to perform.

Knowing how much it takes to kill an enemy you want to use that trick on is everything: Miliseconds before it dies, change from holding rapid fire to holding A lock on. That's all about it and you can perform this trick on basically every enemy or even boss-part in the game. Good spots to make use of it are the huge sole ships right after the midboss in stage 2 or the 1st form of the midboss in stage 4. That one is pretty risky though and I am not able to perform it, but it can be seen on the Ketsui DS DVD.
東亜プラン4ライフ

emphatic

Quote from: ave on January 01, 2011, 07:58:33 PM
Knowing how much it takes to kill an enemy you want to use that trick on is everything: Miliseconds before it dies, change from holding rapid fire to holding A lock on. That's all about it and you can perform this trick on basically every enemy or even boss-part in the game. Good spots to make use of it are the huge sole ships right after the midboss in stage 2 or the 1st form of the midboss in stage 4. That one is pretty risky though and I am not able to perform it, but it can be seen on the Ketsui DS DVD.

Worth noting is that pressing A to engage LOCK SHOT is slower than pressing A+C. And for the 4th boss' first form, just finish it with C then press down A as well as the chips start to fall to get extra chips.

Also, the Type A ship engages lock shot faster than Type B, but the type B ship's C-shot kills faster at point blank than type A that seems to have the upper hand with LOCK SHOT. Not sure about the last statement. These characteristics must be in the equation when trying different "bug" tricks. So unless you are a Tiger Schwert player, don't try to copy Type A superplays.  :laugh:

Exo

Thanks for the tips but the topic can be closed now.
I broke 21,6 mil some time ago on 1-1 ^^

kernow

Wow, nice score, I manage about .. 7 or 8 usually.  :facepalm:

ave

21,6 million, holy shit! I improved my stage 1 playing a lot since Ketsui became available for MAME and I do now manage to get a maximum of about 18,5. Before MAME I usually got about 13-15. Before the boss I have a max of 12,8 and usually it's around 12,4 or a little less than 12. My main weakpoint in the 1st stage is the scoring with the two big ships at the very end, I can't do them in one attack. >_>
東亜プラン4ライフ

Exo

Its still 0,3 million behind sps's world record from 2002 but meh im getting closer to him :P
If you guys need any help with scoring in a certain stage just drop me a pm or add me on msn/aim (posting here works fine too but I'd prefer instant messaging ^^).

ave

What's your overall highscore?
I'm trying to get into this game again, but stage 4 and 5 are my weakpoints. I can get up to 80mil after the 3rd boss, but from then on it's gonna become catastrophic. Maybe 100mil after stage 4, then 130 after 5 like I used to.
東亜プラン4ライフ

Exo

Quote from: ave on February 06, 2011, 02:50:23 PM
What's your overall highscore?
I'm trying to get into this game again, but stage 4 and 5 are my weakpoints. I can get up to 80mil after the 3rd boss, but from then on it's gonna become catastrophic. Maybe 100mil after stage 4, then 130 after 5 like I used to.

I usually reset my game once i die in a stage (either ura or nothing for me :P )
Highest score i had so far was about 151 mil at the beginning of 1-5 never reached it again (obviously need to practice 1-3 and 1-4 aloooot more).
At the moment im busy as crap with university so I doubt I'll be able to invest any time in it for the next 3 months or so but im definitely gonna beat the current record on this forum when I get some more free time ^^
The problem with getting a shmup up to world record level is that it leaves very little room for error (im a perfectionist which makes this even worse) so i probably wont get this run done in under a year :/