This thread is REGION FREE.. (PS / MMP)

Started by Drunkenietzschigo, December 03, 2010, 06:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkenietzschigo

Hello everyone,
just read this on cave's facebook page. Thought I just might share it here (allthough I have a jap 360). 

Quote from: http://www.facebook.com/CAVECoLtd
Some of our fans may be familiar with our upcoming Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets Japan release. We currently have talks over some of our other Japan-only titles ongoing with overseas publishers, but our producer Asada-san is currently thinking about making the MMP/PS double pack region free. Feel free to send him some feedback here: blog360@mail.cave.co.jp

fuse

Oooh ooh ooh, it's finally my turn! Drum roll please...

:facepalm:

njiska

It felt good to wake up and write a blog post about this http://bit.ly/hPFVK5. Here's hoping they follow through as I know a lot of people who would like to get their hands on MMP.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

HVL

Oh dear, here we go again... better not to visit shmups anymore.

Other than that, great post and nice picture. :righton:

lillin

brentsg

Asada needs to consider the effect on western forums!

antares

It may have two reasons:

1. Cave know that this game will most likely not be picked up from a western publisher because of the lack of HD graphics so they can make it as well region free.

2. DDP DFK sales were so disappointing that they want at least attract a few hundred foreign customers to boost up sales a little.

charlienash87

Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

Van_Artic

Quote from: antares on December 03, 2010, 01:13:10 PM
1. Cave know that this game will most likely not be picked up from a western publisher because of the lack of HD graphics so they can make it as well region free.
this is probably the reason they're doing this
not bad anyway, at least we won't get a screwed up localization

Special World

I also feel that Muchi Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets aren't games which scream "Western localization is a good idea!" They're pretty stylistically strange.

But yeah, non-HD is probably a large factor. I hope it's region free so I don't have to hook up my Japanese 360 so much. Futari BL is on my US 360, so that's the one I'd prefer to use if I have a choice. I'm getting it either way, so I'm not too concerned.

ED: Although I do think that if it were given an American budget price (<$40) release it could actually do well.

NR777

If CAVE goes through with that, I am definitely putting in my order.  Out of all planned releases, this is the one I was most excited about.

spl

My opinions on this matter -

I think it sucks having some of the games region free and some not. Having to buy another console just to play a few games isnt fun.

What happens if people pick up titles such as Futari and Galuda 2, start getting into the genre and then realise to get the best games (Ketsui, DOJBLEX, DFK) they have to buy another console??

I understand region locking from a business end trying to protect their countries market but IMO all games which have little chance of being localized such as the Cave games - should all be made region free.

NR777

Quote from: spl on December 03, 2010, 05:58:18 PM

What happens if people pick up titles such as Futari and Galuda 2, start getting into the genre and then realise to get the best games (Ketsui, DOJBLEX, DFK) they have to buy another console??

From the sounds of it, CAVE is in talks regarding localizations...so maybe we're really only talking about DOJBLEX, Ketsui and an un-fucked with version of Deathsmiles.  DSIIX sounds like a no-brainer considering how well DS sold and people are already aware of DFK, so that one has potential as well, though I'd be willing to bet whoever localizes it passes unless they can include BL on the disc.

spl

Yeah but what do you think the difference would have been for Cave if they just made them region free in the first place?

These titles obviously do not sell that well overseas so perhaps Cave could make more money by selling more titles in the first place due to region free as opposed to selling the license to companies who only end up selling a small amount of the localized version?

NR777

This issue has been discussed to death...and I'm pretty sure there's already a thread dedicated to it.  I'm fine with discussing it but it may be a better idea to keep this thread centered on the games themselves.

brentsg

Quote from: NR777 on December 03, 2010, 06:47:54 PM
This issue has been discussed to death...and I'm pretty sure there's already a thread dedicated to it.  I'm fine with discussing it but it may be a better idea to keep this thread centered on the games themselves.

This is definitely true, though I don't recall having a thread for it.

Please keep the threads centered around game discussion.  If people wish to discuss region free gaming that bad, we can create a dedicated topic for it.  To be honest though, I struggle to see how the discussion can be beneficial or positive.  I guess we could also start a Mac vs. PC, Pepsi vs. Coke, and maybe even a Plasma vs. LCD topic too and we'll have dumping grounds for all the popular dead-horse discussions.

Seriously though, please refrain from the region free discussion and keep it on topic.  If I have time later I might prune some of this out of the thread to reduce the temptation.

njiska

Quote from: brentsg on December 03, 2010, 06:58:31 PM
Seriously though, please refrain from the region free discussion and keep it on topic.  If I have time later I might prune some of this out of the thread to reduce the temptation.

You can't seriously hope to expunge all region free discussion from this thread? Keeping generic talk about whether region-locking is good or bad or fucking over the Europeans is one thing, but people are going to want to talk about the status of this title and as long as Cave is considering it, I don't see how it could be considered off topic.

brentsg

Quote from: njiska on December 03, 2010, 08:37:46 PM
Quote from: brentsg on December 03, 2010, 06:58:31 PM

You can't seriously hope to expunge all region free discussion from this thread? Keeping generic talk about whether region-locking is good or bad or fucking over the Europeans is one thing, but people are going to want to talk about the status of this title and as long as Cave is considering it, I don't see how it could be considered off topic.

"might prune some" does not equal "expunge all"..

And really there isn't much to discuss.  People can contact Cave to provide encouragement, but a string of "I sent am e-mail".. or "I hope they do" doesn't make for very interesting conversation.

njiska

Quote from: brentsg on December 03, 2010, 08:41:15 PM
And really there isn't much to discuss.  People can contact Cave to provide encouragement, but a string of "I sent am e-mail".. or "I hope they do" doesn't make for very interesting conversation.

Well the same could be said about the DOJ thread. Still, point well taken and I think we're more or less on the same page. I just don't want to see the bullshit I've seen on other forums where any mention of the topic becomes automatic grounds for scrutiny.

Special World

Quote from: NR777 on December 03, 2010, 06:32:08 PM
Quote from: spl on December 03, 2010, 05:58:18 PM

From the sounds of it, CAVE is in talks regarding localizations...so maybe we're really only talking about DOJBLEX, Ketsui and an un-fucked with version of Deathsmiles.  DSIIX sounds like a no-brainer considering how well DS sold and people are already aware of DFK, so that one has potential as well, though I'd be willing to bet whoever localizes it passes unless they can include BL on the disc.

Personally, I'd pick Futari over every other Cave game I have combined. They're all quite good though. Ketsui takes my second place, but it's just no Futari. Can't wait for MMP/PS. I love the traditional Cave style, but I have a bunch of those and no Raizing style games. MMP in particular looks fun as hell.

twoup

Wow, didn't expect this. I'll pre-order a 2nd copy if it happens, would make a nice (albeit sadistic) gift for my woman.

Medal

If it's region-free I'll put in a region-free preorder and make sure I get the region-free shipping. Shipping usually isn't region-locked, right?

Thanks for splitting this out and stickying it. Region free babble has nothing to do with the game. I will most probably buy this if it is REFE GONIER.

I honestly don't see how I'll be able to pull myself away from DOJBL for it, though. Locked or not, I can play it, and DOJBL is so good that nothing seems very urgent to me anymore...

(Not even DFK. Still haven't played it.)

StarCreator

What does making the game region free have to do with copy protection?

THE

Quote from: StarCreator on December 04, 2010, 08:13:57 AM

For several years it was only possible to play copied games of the same region your console is in. Due to the newer JTAG mods that's not an issue anymore. But most people probably still have the old mod chips. So it's a more or less good copy protection.

Making region free releases so far, didn't seem to generate any extra income for Cave. They probably only lost potential paying customers due to it.
Still it makes perfect sense to release the MMP package regionfree, as it's financially irrelevant to them.
It still could generate harm to them, as it lowers the urge to get a J-X360. But I doubt they have any kind strategic thinking...
The future is 2D

bcass

Quote from: THE on December 04, 2010, 09:09:29 AMStill it makes perfect sense to release the MMP package regionfree, as it's financially irrelevant to them.

Having to pay for multi-region testing/certification is not financially irrelevant, especially in the case of highly niche, low-selling releases such as this.

THE

Quote from: bcass on December 04, 2010, 09:52:38 AM
Quote from: THE on December 04, 2010, 09:09:29 AMStill it makes perfect sense to release the MMP package regionfree, as it's financially irrelevant to them.

Having to pay for multi-region testing/certification is not financially irrelevant, especially in the case of highly niche, low-selling releases such as this.

Should have better worded it like this:
MMP package is financially irrelevant to them

But both is true, region free adds maybe 10k to the bill. Which is pretty much irrelevant too.
The future is 2D

brentsg

Quote from: THE on December 04, 2010, 09:09:29 AM
Quote from: StarCreator on December 04, 2010, 08:13:57 AM

For several years it was only possible to play copied games of the same region your console is in. Due to the newer JTAG mods that's not an issue anymore. But most people probably still have the old mod chips. So it's a more or less good copy protection.

Making region free releases so far, didn't seem to generate any extra income for Cave. They probably only lost potential paying customers due to it.
Still it makes perfect sense to release the MMP package regionfree, as it's financially irrelevant to them.
It still could generate harm to them, as it lowers the urge to get a J-X360. But I doubt they have any kind strategic thinking...

I think this is about the only interesting thing I've read in the region-free debate.  I don't tune into the JTAG stuff so I was unaware.

TheSoundofRed

I was about to post a long-winded post about the potential loss and gains of region-free and how it affects Cave's decision making process on the matter, when I saw on the Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 wiki that Asada-san would use Futari 1.5 as a litmus test for future region-free support. I guess Mushi Futari did well enough to release ESPGaluda 2 without being region-locked, but something happened with that release that left Cave with a bad feeling toward region-free?

Sorry if this has all been covered I apologize. Just curious as to how the decisions against region-free releases came about, and if it actually is unprofitable for Cave to remove the NTSC-J region only coding. 

t3ns0r

Quote from: TheSoundofRed on December 04, 2010, 04:10:59 PM
I was about to post a long-winded post about the potential loss and gains of region-free and how it affects Cave's decision making process on the matter, when I saw on the Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 wiki that Asada-san would use Futari 1.5 as a litmus test for future region-free support. I guess Mushi Futari did well enough to release ESPGaluda 2 without being region-locked, but something happened with that release that left Cave with a bad feeling toward region-free?

The sales of Futari 1.5 probably made CAVE think more about licensing their games overseas.  Espgaluda II seemed to me more of a good-will (the limited edition was region locked) to fans while CAVE sorted out talks with western publishers.

brentsg

Quote from: TheSoundofRed on December 04, 2010, 04:10:59 PMSorry if this has all been covered I apologize. Just curious as to how the decisions against region-free releases came about, and if it actually is unprofitable for Cave to remove the NTSC-J region only coding. 

In a nutshell, if they make a release region-free then it reduces the odds that a publisher will pick it up for a localized release.  Also, Cave incurs additional expense (time is money) by having to go through Microsoft's approval process in the non-native regions.  So it's not just a simple matter of flipping a bit on the disk.  There is additional process that they have to go through, as I understand it.

And let's face it.  Only hardcore fans are going to import region free games with the associated bother and higher prices.  Localized sales will always be higher, when feasible.  It's just a matter of Asada determining 1) Is it feasible to get publishers to localize in other markets, and 2) If the answer for 1 is no, then will region free increase sales enough to at least cover the additional cost of making it region-free?