The most aesthetic Cave STG.

Started by exersia, December 29, 2010, 12:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaijinPunch

neomoe

I can understand why some might not like the style of Deathsmiles - but I dont see how anyone could think it is actually "ugly".

kernow

I like ketsui's overall style, the fact its just a plain military shooter, the music suits it well, and I really like the stark military environments or the first stage city scene. Think it all fits together really well. I'm not the biggest fan of the massively pre-rendered bosses etc but oh well.

What I don't enjoy the look of, is something thats not a ship firing at me, it just seems incredibly dumb to me, oh look a lobster firing complex bullet patterns, or a giant cow. Yeah whatever. I can handle a giant magical elf because they'd possibly do such a thing, but a cow that just looks at me and bullets come from nowhere, dumb.

neomoe

Quote from: kernow on January 07, 2011, 09:50:57 AM
I like ketsui's overall style, the fact its just a plain military shooter, the music suits it well, and I really like the stark military environments or the first stage city scene. Think it all fits together really well. I'm not the biggest fan of the massively pre-rendered bosses etc but oh well.

What I don't enjoy the look of, is something thats not a ship firing at me, it just seems incredibly dumb to me, oh look a lobster firing complex bullet patterns, or a giant cow. Yeah whatever. I can handle a giant magical elf because they'd possibly do such a thing, but a cow that just looks at me and bullets come from nowhere, dumb.

if you didnt like the cow from deathsmiles 1, you are gonna hate the chess pieces from deathsmiles 2  :)

kernow

thegreathopper

Best looking game is Progear followed by Ketsui and the first Mushihimesama, found Futari quite ugly after playing the first one.

brentsg

I think DeathSmiles looks awesome, especially BL.

For eye candy alone, DFK is hard to beat.

I also quite like the artwork and graphical theme for Akai Katana.

Medal

For me it's a tough call between Dangun Feveron and Espgaluda 2. Dangun is just filled to the brim with amazing pixel art, especially the gigantic, multi-sprite bosses. I like the toaplan-esque giant spheres all over the place, too. The bullets and some of the boss attacks are just so wacky. Fantastic and stuff.

Galuda 2, though...That game is like a total visual overload. As Sapz said, when the stage 3 midboss comes up on the rails with the sunset in the background, it's pretty crazy.

Dangaluda 2 is my answer, I guess.

ProMeTheus

Guwange by far for me too !
Great musics, great graphics, great flow/themes/enemies, and you really feel the player is part of a scene in this game, because he interacts with the environment just by navigating in it (obstacles).

I wish all Cave games were as artisticly refined. It is disappointing to see most of their new games' atmosphere partly destroyed by utterly ridiculous lolis, such as DFK.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting better : Check it out !

TheSoundofRed

Quote from: ProMeTheus on January 08, 2011, 10:01:57 PM
Guwange by far for me too !
Great musics, great graphics, great flow/themes/enemies, and you really feel the player is part of a scene in this game, because he interacts with the environment just by navigating in it (obstacles).

I wish all Cave games were as artisticly refined. It is disappointing to see most of their new games' atmosphere partly destroyed by utterly ridiculous lolis, such as DFK.

I have to agree with all the Guwange love.

It's interesting to see no mention of MMP or PS. The enemy sprites and overall aesthetic of those two games make them my favorites.
But I will say that Cave does an outstanding job of maintaining artistic credibility throughout each game, from the backgrounds/enemies/player sprites/music.
Everything is usually very dialed and thematically rich.

Also... Giant Tranforming Robot Loli's are awesome... to me anyway.

ssfsx17

I registered just to say this:

1. Guwange
2. ESP Ra.De
3. Mushihimesama Futari

Also, I'm one of those crappy players who actually uses Guwange Arrange / Mushi Futari Novice modes.

Special World

I have to give my vote to Futari Black Label.

It's a complete sensory overload. The vibrant color palette, blooming bullet patterns, and shining gems exploding out of everything makes it the most visually stunning game I've ever seen.

I'll give Guwange and Ketsui a nod for style, though.

Runefaust

Definitely Progear! The overall-style, the music, the patterns, everything is just beautiful. Close up: Ketsui, Guwange, Espy II and Akai Katana.

MikeNeko

I am on the Futari BL bandwagon, there is something special about having organic enemies.

Chempop

Top 3

ESP rade - closest thing to cyberpunk, climactic end boss
Galuda 2 - mechanical armored dragons, entire vision seems consistant throughout
DDP - stage 5 with the honeycombs teleporting enemies into play, 5(?) different colored bullets

Honorable mention

Mushi - stage 3 giant bug
Deathsmiles BL - ice palace
Ibara - bosses shoot giant sword bullets

darkidol

For me - ESPGaluda 2.  I get more excited for a credit in that game than others that I enjoy playing more simply because I love the sound (with the exception of 2 stages; plus the noise of the Asagi clones has never grown on me), the artwork (esp. the bosses with wings) and generally the way it scrolls.

Have to say though that a replay of a superplay in the game is most likely my least favourite to watch, aesthetically.  The mash of colours in Black Label with the constant multipliers and small red notices is my favourite.  You don't have to have a clue what's going on to be amazed by sinmoon's replay that's been on the leaderboards for a year now(?).

jep_

Quote from: Kaneda on December 29, 2010, 11:26:06 PM
Cave games always have strong aesthetics, but the answer is Guwange. One of the best art designs in not only STGs, but video games in general. If only it were fun.

For me, ESPrade also gets high marks. Yusuke's animation is cool, his midboss appearing on the baseball diamond is cool, JB's boss bursting out of the food court is cool, the final boss fight over the skyline of Tokyo (?) on the statue head is cool...an underrated game both in aesthetics and in gameplay. If not for the boss milking it would be superb.

I think this post is spot-on. Unfortunately, I haven't seen Guwange in true low-res, only upscaled on the xbox. There are so many cool details in ESPrade. The pixel art is really great. I was amazed when I noticed the "New Jack City" graffiti on the walls in ESPrade. The last boss fight is a great cinematic piece with the head statue.

lam47

Deathsmiles IIX :)

I think it's hard to look at the older games on new big LCD screens. They look so much better on CRTs.
For the LCD it would be DFK. It's super smooth and colourful. I do love all the crowns and skulls in DSMBL1.1.
If you have the right equipment then I think Progear looks lovely. Ibara too.

Blue_Rei

I do get a kick out of seeing people's reaction to Next Exy's sudden switch to her humanoid form for the first time. I just takes them by surprise and never fails to get a shocked response. I think it also helps she's the least "loli" looking of the group design, and sprite wise too.  =D

Terramax

Futari all the way.

Everything from the crisp menus, organic levels, upbeat music and lush colours - it just breathes character. The posters with their backgrounds of flying islands and the various insects throughout make it seem as if the game is just a small part of a bigger picture (or world). I also dig it because it reminds me of El Hazard - one of my personal favourite animes.

Deathsmiles for creating a perfect sense of atmosphere for each and every level. They clearly spent a lot of effort on animating the enemies.

Special nod to Progear. The animation style has a lot of character and feels very nostalgic.