Instant Brain (& Dodonpachi) [JP X360 2011]

Started by EOJ, February 18, 2011, 11:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

EDIT: Nevermind. I looked into this, and to change a gamesave for use on another profile you have to hack it and it can be used to gain achievement points in an unauthorized manner, which I'm not going to be a part of. I do not condone any X360 console hacking. Sorry guys.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

bcass

Cheers.  Gives me a reason to pick it up now.

InsaneNutter

EOJ

I finished chapter 3 last night. It was pretty good, but once again, too long. Took me about 10 hours. There's no in-game clock so I'm just estimating here based on how much I played the game each day. Each chapter is taking about 10 hours. The Japanese wiki page for the game says if you skip all the dialogue and just stop for the camera parts the game takes 10-15 hours to clear. Since I'm taking my time and reading all the dialogue (all of which is voiced except the dialogue from your character), and there are 7 chapters, it seems like it'll take me a good 60-70 hours to clear it. I guess that's good value for your money! They could have trimmed out a lot of stuff in Chapters 2 and 3 though, a lot was just rehashing previous events over and over and some of it was pointless crap.

One of my favorite things in chapter 3 was the hotel concierge named Evakku (=Evac).  :laugh: There are so many Cave references in this game, it really is a treat for Cave fans.

BTW, thanks to the Japanese wiki I found out I missed one of the six hidden pics needed to unlock DDP and Nin2Brain in the first chapter so now I have to go back and do part of that again.  :whyioughtta:

I'll start on Chapter 4 tonight.
My score archive

ookitarepanda

Quote from: EOJ on February 28, 2012, 12:55:22 AMBTW, thanks to the Japanese wiki I found out I missed one of the six hidden pics needed to unlock DDP and Nin2Brain in the first chapter so now I have to go back and do part of that again.  :whyioughtta:

I'll start on Chapter 4 tonight.

Maybe I missed this earlier, but once you've completed a chapter can you go back and do a chapter select? I'm thinking something like Heavy Rain, if you played that.

EOJ

There's no chapter select, but they give you plenty of save slots. Luckily I had a save slot exactly at the point where I needed to get the missing picture in chapter 1, so it took me about 10 seconds to do that.

Chapter 4 is pretty fun so far.
My score archive

adverse

EOJ, little late on this but make sure to play Chapter 4 with a guide in hand. There's a secret picture that is a pain to get if you have to go back.

Other chapters can be done without guides though IMO.

EOJ

Did you clear this already? Thanks for the tip, by the way. I got the secret pic at the start of the chapter, the one you need to unlock DDP.
My score archive

AweOfShe

Oh, it was those pictures that unlocked DoDonPachi/Nin2Brain? I thought just beating the game unlocked them. I used an achievement guide for the secret pics, so I never knew.  :laugh:

Those Extra Events you unlock from pics were pretty funny. I loved both of Android C's.  =D
XBox Live - AweOfShe1

EOJ

I finished this game the other day, with 100% of the gallery and CG unlocked. Overall it is a fantastic adventure game. The story was interesting, characters were fun and diverse, lots of Cave references sprinkled throughout, the art was great (nice little touches like facial animations when they talk), voice acting was great, and there were some really unexpected twists and turns along the way. I enjoyed the last chapter and ending as well. My only real complaint is some parts were a bit too long. They could have tightened things up a bit. All told it took me about 60 hours to complete the game 100%.

Dodonpachi is a bare bones port. No screen options, no smoothing filter, no button config, no training mode, and you can't enter your initials on the high score screen. I've read some slowdown is missing here and there, but I'm not too sure of the extent as I'm not terribly familiar with the slowdown in the game, having not played it much in many years. There's still a good amount of slowdown when things get hectic. The online leaderboards are nice, and it saves scores offline as well. Top score on the online leaderboards is 60mil up to 2-2, so the loop is in there too. It's nice to have on the X360, and I'd rather play this version than the version on PSN for the PS3, but it's nothing to get too excited about.

The other extra game, Nin2Brain, is pretty similar to Nin2Jump, but some things have been tweaked or changed. I don't have a list of specific details.

Overall I'd give Instant Brain a 9.5/10. One of the best games released in 2011, IMO. I really hope they make a sequel or another adventure game.

My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

AweOfShe

The last chapter really caught me off guard. :laugh:

But yeah, agreed on all counts. I really enjoyed the story, and the investigating. I hope they either follow up, or work on another mystery type VN or something.  :righton:

I've also never had the privilege to play DoDonPachi, so I'm glad it was programmed in.
XBox Live - AweOfShe1

bcass

Quote from: EOJ on February 24, 2012, 09:24:40 AM
EDIT: Nevermind. I looked into this, and to change a gamesave for use on another profile you have to hack it and it can be used to gain achievement points in an unauthorized manner, which I'm not going to be a part of. I do not condone any X360 console hacking. Sorry guys.

You don't have to do any hacking, however, I don't think you'll want to do it the legitimate way either as you have to delete the source profile in order to transfer ownership to another profile.  Basically no one save can have more than one owner at the same time.

EOJ

It's actually the System save file you need for DDP, not a regular save file. Not sure if that makes any difference.
My score archive

bcass

The easiest way to find out is to try and copy it to a USB stick.  If it gives you a message about you becoming the new owner (it does this before the actual copy takes place, and can be cancelled) then I don't think it will work for anyone else unless you delete your profile.

EOJ

Okay, the guide is now 100% complete:

http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=1559.0

Whew, that was a lot of work. Hopefully you guys will start playing the game now.  :righton:
Let me know if you have any problems or questions as you work through the game with the guide.
My score archive

fuse

Holy shit dude! I don't know when I'm going to find the time to play it but I genuinely appreciate the opportunity to do so - thanks!

brentsg

Thanks for the guide.  I should have a copy here next week.

Blue_Rei

Thanks a lot EOJ! That's extremely awesome to do! Now to acquire a copy!!!

EOJ

I played some DDP last night and checked the online leaderboards - there's a new #1, about 112mil with A type up to 2-5. Seems to be the first serious scorer playing this port!
My score archive