Most annoying "feature" of any Cave game?

Started by brentsg, March 06, 2011, 10:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aliquantic

I can confirm that happens in DFK 1.5 at least (I don't remember it ever happening in BL). You can use the Start button to resume the game instead, though, unlike in Deathsmiles II IIRC.

MikeNeko

Quote from: THE on March 08, 2011, 07:06:04 AM
@MikeNeko
I wonder how they did it in Pro Gear, it has amazingly much bullets for CPS2...

Ok, i checked... and i am surprised.
Progear uses big chunks of the cave engine ... even the levels playlist, move tables etc it is all from the standard engine. (didn t go much into detail for the specs, how there can be specific moves, the delta tables, but i found easily my marks)

So, it looks like they did not recreate the wheel and gave to capcom... well practically what is CAVE s trademark code, it is as if they gave most of their secrets to analyze.
There is much less info per bullet, less variables space for specific behavior and less pointers (but that s because some are not needed for this CPS2 game i guess... i don t know the platform). anyway, it looks like there is less overhead to retrieve the graphical data.

As far as i see there is no collision flag ! ProGear doesn t suffer from this *feature* HOWEVER space is here and available xD
For the optimization it works like the standard implementation.
A flag is set when bullets reach one of the overflow limits. The flags are removed only during specific event, like the appearance of the boss or start of a level. They can be set as well during specific events. In Progear there are 5 limits: 80,120,180,220,260 bullets. These are the number of bullets checked per frame.
To give you an example, in DOJ there are 210 bullets max. so 260 is quite good :p

No magic... same collision code, it is the standard cave way.

charlienash87

lolis ruin so many games, but that's a given.

@MikeNeko
is there a list or resource that lists the bullet caps for each game?
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

MikeNeko

Quote from: charlienash87 on March 11, 2011, 09:05:36 AM
lolis ruin so many games, but that's a given.

@MikeNeko
is there a list or resource that lists the bullet caps for each game?

nooope, but here is a sum up of those i have in mind

Esp Ra De: 199 and occasionally 299 (very seldom, not sure it is even triggered...)
DoDonPachi: 224
DoDonPachi DOJ: 210
Esp Galuda: 200 (but again this is a quite different engine bullets-wise)
Progear: 260
Ibara: 720 afaik, perhaps 1000

skykid

Quote from: brentsg on March 06, 2011, 10:17:45 PM
I want to start a Skykid thread.

Not bad.  :righton:

For me it's the no score entry on restart. I could understand it from stage 2 onward, but having to quit out on stage 1 is just plain nonsensical.
Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

njiska

Quote from: skykid on March 11, 2011, 03:53:27 PM
Quote from: brentsg on March 06, 2011, 10:17:45 PM
I want to start a Skykid thread.

Not bad.  :righton:

For me it's the no score entry on restart. I could understand it from stage 2 onward, but having to quit out on stage 1 is just plain nonsensical.

Actually if you're going to have restart in Score Attack modes it should just restart you at the beginning of the first stage, regardless of the stage you're currently on. Then there's no reason the score you have isn't clean and you should be able to save it. If only this were how it worked.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

MikeNeko

Quote from: njiska on March 12, 2011, 02:15:31 PM
Actually if you're going to have restart in Score Attack modes it should just restart you at the beginning of the first stage, regardless of the stage you're currently on. Then there's no reason the score you have isn't clean and you should be able to save it. If only this were how it worked.

To me, you shouldn't even be able to pause in score attack, you should have arcade-style experience...
No pause, no toirets. And i am only half joking  :laugh:

clp

Most annoying feature for me in the looping cave games Ketsui especially is the massive difficulty gap between a 1-loop clear and qualifying for the second loop .