Author Topic: Your favorite version of Pink Sweets  (Read 2039 times)

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Ultra Member
Your favorite version of Pink Sweets
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:23:30 PM »
Now that the port is out, and all the variants of Pink Sweets we are going to see are playable, which is your favorite, and why?

For me, I think Pink Sweets Arrange is the best version made thus far, followed by PS PCB 2006/04/06 revision and PS 1.01. PS 1.00 is by far the worst version. PS Arrange is the best because it has a well-developed, fun scoring system, and a great difficulty curve. PS PCB ver (April 2006) is the runner up due to the infinite lives trick which makes the game a very fun score attack mode. PS 1.01 makes the game more manageable for a "Normal" 1CC, while PS 1.00 is a complete bore for me because it's basically just a 1CC challenge - what semblance of a scoring system that exists is pretty boring. I enjoy watching top players score attacking 1.00, but I have little fun playing it myself. Also, Harder and Extended are impossible to 1CC in 1.00, which speaks volumes of the game's imbalanced difficulty.

I'm not going to bother with the 2006/xx/xx PCB ver as I haven't played it. The May 2006 PCB version is identical to Ver 1.00 in the port (THIS is the version we got a port of).

I have some complaints about PS Arrange: 1) they should have kept in the points for shooting bosses. I dislike hitting them with my shot but not seeing any score increase. The only recent Cave game I can think of that is similar in this regard is Deathsmiles. 2) It would have been nice to also keep in some points per bullet absorbed, even if it was just one point per bullet. I think they left this out due to fears it would lead to long, drawn out boss milking. Still, its absence makes absorbing bullets a very dissatisfying exercise. 3) Where is my rapid fire C shot? Come on Cave, this is a basic thing this game should have had - Ibara Kuro had it. 4)Why no Harder or Extended modes? Both would have been great fun with the PS Arrange scoring system. If Cave fixed these four things, the game would pretty much be perfect in my eyes.

I think PS Arrange should have been called Pink Sweets Black Label. They also would have done well to release it in arcades, though in the present arcade climate, I can see why they didn't. If this was 4 or 5 years ago, we probably would have seen an SH3 version.
My score archive
twitter: cavexstg
XBL gamertag: eojx9999

Offline brentsg

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Ultra Member
Re: Your favorite version of Pink Sweets
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:55:52 PM »
I just got the final piece to put my 360 in a cab, so I'll reserve judgement until I've put in more time.  Based on the little bit I played I think Arrange>1.01>1.0 but we'll see.

Offline TonK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Maniac Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 12:33:56 AM »
I am honestly enjoying the shit out of arrange.

It's really fun.

Getting 78m in Pink Sweets is pretty golden... I'd like to 1 credit arrange.

I don't like the original version much at all.

Offline njiska

• Maniac Member
    • Njiska's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 12:51:06 AM »
I can't comment on the arcade versions, but of the port Arrange and 1.01 beat 1.00 if for no reason other than the shortened death animation. 1.00's is painful. Probably going to say i prefer Arrange to 1.01, but it's a close call.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

Offline Special World

• Maniac Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:25:23 AM »
Too early to say (and I can't really for sure, since I haven't played the PCB), but I find myself leaning towards 1.01. Arrange is awesome, but there's something about rushing for ever-increasing medals that has me addicted. Really though, both are so damned good that I have a hard time believing my opinion won't sway back and forth a couple times over the next few years. Kind of surprised to see you voting for Arrange though, EOJ, as you seemed happy but still sort of lukewarm about it in your review. Glad to see it rising up in your ranks; it's a fantastic mode and probably my favorite Cave arrange. They really outdid themselves with this one. I love when Cave goes into sensory overload mode, and I like that I actually stand a chance of 1CCing it, though the first 2 levels are quite easy. I also lament the lack of Harder mode in Arrange, that would be a hell of a time, especially given the low difficulty of it overall.

Man, what a fantastic release. DFK was making me fall out of love with Cave, but these two masterpieces have reeled me right back in.

Offline Plasmo

• Ultra Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 05:18:15 AM »
I don't really like PS 1.00. I love Yagawa's games, where you actually can control your rank. 1.00 seems plain unfair in this regard and as EOJ said it's more of a 1CC challenge, if you don't have the guts to play at max rank. Of course you get more points playing at max rank in Ibara/Garegga/Batrider as well, but you're not forced to play it this way and usually only have to use it for the last couple of stages anyway.

PS 1.01 is probably the better game, because it's manageable and enjoyable. Unfortunately it's too much different from the original game and I have a habit of wanting to compare my scores with the PCB ones. In 1.01 they did quite a lot things right. You can actively control your rank, you can hold your medal chain even if you die (the respawn time is ridiculous in 1.00) and you can continue the credit when you die at a boss (is there even a single other modern shmup where you don't get anything back after you die?!). The only thing I don't like is the fact that you can hold three options at a time, but this is probably just because I'm not used to it. 1.01 is the game PS should've been in the first place.

What to think about Arrange? It's not very well designed. You can get the x64 way too easy, the only tricky parts are bosses and midbosses. The rest of the score comes from milking. And for the same thing I didn't like Ibara Kuro, I have to pass on this one aswell. I'm not too much of a friend of extreme milking like this. Another thing is, that it's way too easy. You can't really die in this game, because you have your aura active all the time AND can shoot everything. I like my games challenging, this one ist just a cheap ripoff from a very good game. Much like with Ibara and Ibara Arrange from the PS2 port, most of the people seem to prefer this version. Is it's because it's more accessible? Is it because it's more caveish? At least I can't get along with it...

My vote goes for PS PCB 2006/04/06, because it's the original and probably still the intended one. I haven't got the chance to do the infinite lives trick and I was very much looking forward to it in the port...still don't know why it's not in there. Maybe it wasn't that intended after all? The "original" version is a great challenge and all the WR scores were done on this one. While it may be not the "best" version, for me as a competitive gamer it's the most enjoyable and thus my favourite version of the game. PS is still a mixed bag for me. On the one hand it has the classic Raizing formula and probably my favourite setting in any shmup ever (toy robots ftw!), on the other hand it has a really strange infinite lives trick that destroys the challenge a bit and takes away the pressure we all know from last stages in shmups. Feels very unconservative to say the least. Not neccessarily a bad thing, but I really have to give it some further testing.

Can't comment on 2006/xx/xx, because I don't even know what it is. =D

CAVE really did too many revisions for PS. It could've been such a great game...

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 05:26:10 AM »

You can get the x64 way too easy, the only tricky parts are bosses and midbosses. The rest of the score comes from milking.

A lot of the scoring comes from bombing ground enemies (Ibara-style), which leave roses that are worth 100K~2million points each. Trying to do that while maintaining a x64 throughout the levels is where the challenge comes in (and of course, the bosses).  :)

Also, the boss milking is less in PS Arrange compared to PS 1.00, if you're talking about top scores.

You can't really die in this game, because you have your aura active all the time AND can shoot everything.

Well, I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. There are many bullet types that cannot be absorbed by your shield (or destroyed by your shot), and the shield recharge time is much slower than in Arcade PS. Some boss bullet patterns were altered to make them challenging in Arrange's system - the stage 6 boss is a great example.
My score archive
twitter: cavexstg
XBL gamertag: eojx9999

Offline brokenhalo

• Maniac Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »
i voted for arrange. the scoring is so much fun once you start to pick up on all the little intricacies involved. and even though it seems too easy to play for survival, the difficulty notches its way up as you get better at scoring. i think this is probably the best mode in the double pack.

Offline Daverost

• Maniac Member
  • Casper Fanboy
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:27:25 AM »
Out of what I've played, Arrange > 1.01 > 1.00.

I do sorta agree with Plasmo on how much easier Arrange is due to your shield being able to stay active, but that only really makes a difference up to a certain point in the game. Then you have fun enemies that love to shoot nothing but unblockable/undestroyable shots.

Offline vercimbeer

• Novice Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 02:06:22 PM »
Without a doubt, PS Arrange. Something is extremely compelling about the simple scoring system, and seeing the "x 64" blanket the screen is a truly visceral experience. I've managed to top 150m now, and my goal--which for me is perhaps a bit too ambitious, is 300m. My J-Xbox 360 handle is MoldyJookie, and I think I managed to upload a 113m run.

Extremely fun, and perhaps the best arrange of any Cave game thus far, though Ketsui and DSIIX come close, imho.

Offline RGC

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Maniac Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 04:12:09 PM »
Voted Arrange, not that I've played the others much. It's addictive!

Offline Icarus

• Maniac Member
    • http://namakoteam.thestudio-uk.com/
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 05:00:14 PM »
ver1.00 > Arrange > ver1.01

Being a fan of the original PCB, ver1.00 is where it is at for me, with or without infinite lives. It's the more extreme form of rank management, and right up my street.
Arrange is like the bastard child of Ibara and Battle Bakraid.
Not too fond of the tweaks in ver1.01, but time will tell if it grows on me.

Offline cstarflare

• Maniac Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 07:30:05 PM »
1.00 destroys me, but I really like what it is. I find a lot of satisfaction in small victories (getting out of tight spots), and failures don't bug me as much because it's Pink Sweets, what did I expect? I'm disappointed that the infinite lives trick isn't in the port, because I felt like that would provide an alternate goal when I hit a wall.

Arrange is tons of fun, but I wish medal milking with the cracker/hadou were a little more important for scoring. x64 seems to be more lucrative in almost all situations.

I spend most of my time with Arrange anyway. Arrange's score attack is king, though.

Haven't put any time into 1.01. I've been playing PS 1.00, Arrange, Arrange Score Attack, and MMP 1.00; I think that's enough for the time being.

Offline NR777

• Maniac Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »
Arrange is so much fun.  Love it.  It's pretty much all I play.

Offline neomoe

• Maniac Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 12:27:37 PM »
usually when i get ports, i play the original/arcade modes first, just to get a taste of the game.  i did this with ps and hated version 1.00, it just felt way too frustrating.  but i absolutely love Arrange mode.  the game just feels so much more accessible. 

Will eventually go back and try to get into 1.0, as well as 1.01 since only played that once so far, but right now i am hooked on arrange.