Author Topic: Cave: shifting from iOS to Windows Phone 7  (Read 1849 times)

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Ultra Member
My score archive
twitter: cavexstg
XBL gamertag: eojx9999

Offline bcass

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Maniac Member
    • Project AY
Re: Cave: shifting from iOS to Windows Phone 7
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:37:43 AM »
Given how closely linked the two development platforms are (WP7 & 360), it's a natural choice, but I can't believe for a second that app sales on WP7 are anywhere near iOS app sales.

Offline brentsg

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:54:13 AM »
I laughed when I read this.

It's like the Japanese Xbox market wasn't insignificant enough for their comfort.  Next up, new Neo Geo Pocket games!

Sales are so bad that MS is playing the old Google TV game, where you talk only about numbers shipped to retailers rather than units sold to end users.

Offline ssfsx17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Maniac Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 11:00:40 PM »
Hahaha, good luck with that. Unless it really is that much easier when an X360 port is already done, there is no way this will get traction.

Offline Daverost

• Maniac Member
  • Casper Fanboy
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:49:33 AM »
Dammit Cave, I'm willing to buy an iPhone, but there is no way in hell I'm ever going to buy a Windows phone. I don't care what kind of shinies you throw at me. Even DeathSmiles III couldn't change my mind.

Offline Monouchi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 02:54:28 PM »
So the new shooter could then prolly end up soon on X360.  :)

Offline firenze

• Novice Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 04:17:17 PM »
Put it this way... I have a friend who works at MS in the WP7/mobile OS division.  He has a WP7 (or various prototypes) for work, and he won't even use the thing for his personal use.  He takes his sim card out and sticks it in his iPhone when he goes home from work at night.  WP7 is not going to catch on.  iOS or Android are where it's at, with Blackberry still holding up respectably for business-focused users.  They might as well be making games for the Zune. 

Even more ridiculous when you realize that you've already spent time building up a fanbase on an expensive portable/phone device that people can't easily switch from due to service contracts.  This isn't picking up a PSP instead of a DS, when you're talking about phones this is a platform that people get more locked into. 

And iOS is nice because you don't HAVE to use a phone with a service plan - you can just use an iPod touch.  I don't want an iPhone and its lousy service plan options (for my phone, I use an Android on Sprint with unlimited data for lower cost and better performance than the iPhone choices).  So I bought a 3rd gen iPod touch as a music/game player, with Cave games being a major factor in my purchase.  Can't do something similar with WP7 - no options other than getting the phone. 

Offline sh00g

• Maniac Member
  • Dynamite planted.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 11:33:14 AM »
Kind of a bitch move CAVE. Just sayin.

Offline ookitarepanda

• Maniac Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 03:57:37 PM »
I'm sure some of you guys have seen the report on shmups, but their smartphone games are kicking some ass financially, in a way they didn't expect. I wouldn't be surprised if they worked on BOTH iOS and Windows phone.

LOL at people over on shmups freaking out over mistranslations, speculation, and extrapolation.

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 03:21:58 AM »
Cave will continue to make STGs, as I posted a few weeks back on the front page. This won't be just handheld stuff, console stuff will continue, probably at least one more arcade game too unless they scrapped the one that was in development or shifted development of it to the X360.

I don't know why anyone takes anything posted on shmups forum seriously. It's a laugh riot, but hardly a reliable source for accurate news.
My score archive

Offline Tain

• Maniac Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 09:36:21 AM »
In this case, the comments on Cave's financial report came from Shou on TNL. It sounds like everyone reading it is coming to different conclusions.

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 10:15:43 AM »
Why try to dissect the report when Asada just said "don't worry, we're still making stgs" a few weeks back?
My score archive

Offline brentsg

• Ultra Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 05:28:27 PM »
Why try to dissect the report when Asada just said "don't worry, we're still making stgs" a few weeks back?

People have interpreted that different ways.  Some believe Cave is making shooting games, but not for arcade release.  More or less, people need something to talk about.

Personally I'm convinced Cave is attacking the Windows phone platform so they can redefine a niche within a niche within a niche.  It's like the JNP Xbox 360 market was way too mainstream for them.

Offline emphatic

• Ultra Member
  • Awesome.
    • My PCB collection
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 05:45:25 AM »
Or.. Maybe Microsoft asked CAVE to make something for the Windows7 phone? Wasn't that how it all began with the 360 ports, they asked nicely?

Offline lam47

• Maniac Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 06:41:36 PM »
I've had an iPhone. A HTC desire. A desire HD; and now a HTC 7 pro. The windows phone has been the most enjoyable to use and the most user friendly. I don't understand all the windows phone hate.

Offline bcass

• Maniac Member
    • Project AY
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »
As a development platform, it's awesome.  Far easier than Android (Java) and iOS (Objective-C).  Microsoft have bent over backwards to accomodate developers on it's new platforms.  It's main problem is that it's late to the show (as usual with Microsoft).

Offline brentsg

• Ultra Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 08:12:04 PM »
I've had an iPhone. A HTC desire. A desire HD; and now a HTC 7 pro. The windows phone has been the most enjoyable to use and the most user friendly. I don't understand all the windows phone hate.

There's no hate.  There is also no significant user base.

Offline lam47

• Maniac Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 09:47:08 AM »
Fair point.