Started by EOJ, July 29, 2011, 07:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

bcass

Given how closely linked the two development platforms are (WP7 & 360), it's a natural choice, but I can't believe for a second that app sales on WP7 are anywhere near iOS app sales.

brentsg

I laughed when I read this.

It's like the Japanese Xbox market wasn't insignificant enough for their comfort.  Next up, new Neo Geo Pocket games!

Sales are so bad that MS is playing the old Google TV game, where you talk only about numbers shipped to retailers rather than units sold to end users.

ssfsx17

Hahaha, good luck with that. Unless it really is that much easier when an X360 port is already done, there is no way this will get traction.

Daverost

Dammit Cave, I'm willing to buy an iPhone, but there is no way in hell I'm ever going to buy a Windows phone. I don't care what kind of shinies you throw at me. Even DeathSmiles III couldn't change my mind.

Monouchi

So the new shooter could then prolly end up soon on X360.  :)

firenze

Put it this way... I have a friend who works at MS in the WP7/mobile OS division.  He has a WP7 (or various prototypes) for work, and he won't even use the thing for his personal use.  He takes his sim card out and sticks it in his iPhone when he goes home from work at night.  WP7 is not going to catch on.  iOS or Android are where it's at, with Blackberry still holding up respectably for business-focused users.  They might as well be making games for the Zune. 

Even more ridiculous when you realize that you've already spent time building up a fanbase on an expensive portable/phone device that people can't easily switch from due to service contracts.  This isn't picking up a PSP instead of a DS, when you're talking about phones this is a platform that people get more locked into. 

And iOS is nice because you don't HAVE to use a phone with a service plan - you can just use an iPod touch.  I don't want an iPhone and its lousy service plan options (for my phone, I use an Android on Sprint with unlimited data for lower cost and better performance than the iPhone choices).  So I bought a 3rd gen iPod touch as a music/game player, with Cave games being a major factor in my purchase.  Can't do something similar with WP7 - no options other than getting the phone. 

sh00g

ookitarepanda

I'm sure some of you guys have seen the report on shmups, but their smartphone games are kicking some ass financially, in a way they didn't expect. I wouldn't be surprised if they worked on BOTH iOS and Windows phone.

LOL at people over on shmups freaking out over mistranslations, speculation, and extrapolation.

EOJ

Cave will continue to make STGs, as I posted a few weeks back on the front page. This won't be just handheld stuff, console stuff will continue, probably at least one more arcade game too unless they scrapped the one that was in development or shifted development of it to the X360.

I don't know why anyone takes anything posted on shmups forum seriously. It's a laugh riot, but hardly a reliable source for accurate news.
My score archive

Tain

In this case, the comments on Cave's financial report came from Shou on TNL. It sounds like everyone reading it is coming to different conclusions.

EOJ

Why try to dissect the report when Asada just said "don't worry, we're still making stgs" a few weeks back?
My score archive

brentsg

Quote from: EOJ on August 03, 2011, 10:15:43 AM
Why try to dissect the report when Asada just said "don't worry, we're still making stgs" a few weeks back?

People have interpreted that different ways.  Some believe Cave is making shooting games, but not for arcade release.  More or less, people need something to talk about.

Personally I'm convinced Cave is attacking the Windows phone platform so they can redefine a niche within a niche within a niche.  It's like the JNP Xbox 360 market was way too mainstream for them.

emphatic

Or.. Maybe Microsoft asked CAVE to make something for the Windows7 phone? Wasn't that how it all began with the 360 ports, they asked nicely?

lam47

I've had an iPhone. A HTC desire. A desire HD; and now a HTC 7 pro. The windows phone has been the most enjoyable to use and the most user friendly. I don't understand all the windows phone hate.

bcass

As a development platform, it's awesome.  Far easier than Android (Java) and iOS (Objective-C).  Microsoft have bent over backwards to accomodate developers on it's new platforms.  It's main problem is that it's late to the show (as usual with Microsoft).

brentsg

Quote from: lam47 on August 05, 2011, 06:41:36 PM
I've had an iPhone. A HTC desire. A desire HD; and now a HTC 7 pro. The windows phone has been the most enjoyable to use and the most user friendly. I don't understand all the windows phone hate.

There's no hate.  There is also no significant user base.

lam47