Watanabe interview 8/22/2011

Started by Muchi Muchi Spork, August 22, 2011, 11:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muchi Muchi Spork

Posted on shmups forum by chempop:

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Cave+news/news.asp?c=32570

He says "Let me make it clear - Cave won't turn its back on our fanbase."

What does this mean though, is this some fanbase that is happy with shooters on any platform or is it the arcade hardware fanbase? We never get a clear answer. Will there be more arcade shooter pcb kits and is there a new pcb design...

Daverost

Quote from: Muchi Muchi Spork on August 22, 2011, 10:05:35 PM
http://www.facebook.com/notes/cave/about-console-and-arcade-development/205742109485804

Just happened to catch this. The name change seems silly, but hey, whatever floats their boat.

What concerns me is that they're still relying on local publishers for U.S. releases, and as far as I know, no one is interested. I'm really not sure why they're not just self-publishing like they did for Deathsmiles II X and then patching in English (knowing good and damn well that they have a (semi-)talented team of translators, as we've seen in the mobile games and XBLA releases). Surely they'd make more money on a one-time investment for translation and patch testing than having to let a publisher take a cut of every sale? I mean I don't expect them to put out retail copies or anything. It would probably just be a loss. Digital's fine by me.

ookitarepanda

QuoteTo all our overseas arcade game fans.
Consider picking up our future arcade boards via mail order!
If we sell 500 copies, we can make a new arcade shooter.

Motherfuckers, if you didn't start your games on your online store at 220,000 yen and the yen didn't beat the shit out of the dollar, maybe I would.

Seriously, that Akai Katana home kit with the katana screwdriver looked awesome  ^-^

I do find it amusing how much Cave is trying to reverse all of the rumors people have posted about them never making arcade games again. It must be a PR madhouse.