Dodonpachi Saidaioujou [Cave 2012, ARCADE]

Started by joeks, December 21, 2011, 02:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

That looks pretty awesome. Lots of color and all the gems getting sucked in gives me a Futari vibe. Also reminds me of Ketsui a bit, in terms of the shot movement. Looks like SH3 again too.

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Muchi Muchi Spork

Quote from: EOJ on February 03, 2012, 01:34:36 AM
Looks like SH3 again too.

Hopefully. I can't tell with the quality of the video but for sure it's supposed to run at 3:4 instead of 16:9. The medals are elongated.

EOJ

Yeah, the video is of an LCD monitor getting a feed from the cab. Its not the actual cab. Cave always does this at location tests. The game is not HD or 16:9.
My score archive

Chempop

NICE!  Big thanks for posting a link to that video, can't wait to see some nice clear flicks and stills. 
I have to say, it hasn't quite sunk in yet that a new arcade game is actually on the way.

drunkninja

So.....anyone wanna help me fund a PCB purchase =D

Shalashaska

Yay no hyper bullet cancelling, no bullet cancelling from killing some of the larger enemies, and no transformer bosses.  :righton:  This looks like the closest I'll get to a DOJ 2 on SH3.  And I just sold my supergun too.  :(  I really hope Cave reconsiders the no more 360 ports thing...

Chempop

Shalashaska, I'll enjoy it in Your stead. 
P.s.  the supergun should arrive in the next day or so, I can't wait! 

Erppo

These look pretty nice, even if it's hard to deduce how the scoring works based on just these.

I'm eagerly waiting for a second loop though, it's been a while since the last looping game. I think the patterns looking relatively easy even with the Expert mode might suggest there is one. It's certainly not on the level that you get with Strong in DFKBL.

Icarus

Quote from: Erppo on February 03, 2012, 10:59:12 AM
These look pretty nice, even if it's hard to deduce how the scoring works based on just these.

I'm eagerly waiting for a second loop though, it's been a while since the last looping game. I think the patterns looking relatively easy even with the Expert mode might suggest there is one. It's certainly not on the level that you get with Strong in DFKBL.

1) I reckon it's a return to difficult chaining, as it appears that you're encouraged to use a lot of hypers to score in (drive up hit count), but your chain breaks if lost in hyper mode, and you don't have the luxury of bullet-cancelling like in Daifukkatsu.

2) Why do I get the feeling there's a hidden route in the game? The first stage looks abnormally short.

Erppo

Quote from: Icarus on February 03, 2012, 12:33:52 PM1) I reckon it's a return to difficult chaining, as it appears that you're encouraged to use a lot of hypers to score in (drive up hit count), but your chain breaks if lost in hyper mode, and you don't have the luxury of bullet-cancelling like in Daifukkatsu.

This is what I'm hoping for. I'm not really a fan of the direction DFKBL took, but I guess it can be seen more as an one-off instead of a real sequel to the series. It could be like reverse Daifukkatsu, with the chain being in risk during the hypers instead, and scoring involving using them near constantly. That combined with a large hyper rank effect and I'm happy.

Icarus

Quote from: Erppo on February 03, 2012, 01:01:07 PM
That combined with a large hyper rank effect and I'm happy.

Well, a telling fact is that the hyper rank counter is in double digits, which means that it is theoretically possible to get the rank up to 99, or Ultra Mode bullet patterns.
The main problem I'm seeing at the moment, is that it look like it takes forever to generate a hyper, in Expert Type at least.

Erppo

Quote from: Icarus on February 03, 2012, 01:12:43 PM
The main problem I'm seeing at the moment, is that it look like it takes forever to generate a hyper.

That could be explained simply by insufficient knowledge of the game. Charging takes quite long in DFK too if you just hang back and use the shot, but with proper techniques you can use the aura and have your hypers charged instantly even with the bomb ships.

Icarus

Quote from: Erppo on February 03, 2012, 01:16:33 PM
That could be explained simply by insufficient knowledge of the game. Charging takes quite long in DFK too if you just hang back and use the shot, but with proper techniques you can use the aura and have your hypers charged instantly even with the bomb ships.

True, but that was only really an issue for Bomb and Strong type throughout the game, and for Power type at the beginning of the game. Power had an increased hyper generation rate in unhypered Normal Mode, and you could use hyper Boost Mode to generate more energy. And once you had one hyper, proper play would see you generating them near constantly.

EDIT: Hang on! I think I've sussed it. If you look at the clips, there's a little light above the chaining gauge that lights up when it hits max. When it lights up, any kills after that keep it over max will add to your hyper gauge instead. Hyper generation seems to slow considerably in hyper mode, though. I wonder if the chaining gauge has an effect on bees as well, as I noticed a percentage multiplier on them when collected.

EDIT 2: Interesting. In normal mode, star items are +pts, in hyper mode, they're +hit.

ASR

So thankful to see this.
If this got ported cave would make beaucoup dollars.
Regardless, its good to see cave still in it.

brentsg

Quote from: ASR on February 03, 2012, 01:50:27 PM
If this got ported cave would make beaucoup dollars.

Nah, they'd sell a disappointing number of copies.  I still expect to see a port but it's not like they sell like hotcakes in JPN or anywhere else.

HVL

Bikini instead of sukumizu? CAVE clearly needs to take Marketing 101. :laugh:

Am I the only one thinking the DFK art is somewhat unfitting for a DOJ style game? Looks pretty good and interesting nevertheless.

Monouchi

What I miss is variation in the look of the levels...these three levels looks very similar.
But for ex in DOJ, first Military base, then up in the sky etc..  :)

This is something i love about Mushi Futari, lots of variation in the level looks/scenery.

Shalashaska

Music is pretty meh IMO.  Seems like that stage 3 mid-boss is eating people up.

Let_It_Be

I'm liking what I see, I really want SOJ to do better in the Arcade than AK did.  Let's just hope there aren't any major problems on release like DFK 1.0 had.

Naut

Good to see some forced bullet dodging. Chaining looks disappointingly easy, first credit autofire yields longer chains than expected for the first few stages. Kinda hoping there's another method other than shotgunning to quickly generate hypers. Bees and maintaining a chain don't vary enough to make route-finding fun. I'd like to see how Shuri plays.

Quote from: HVL on February 03, 2012, 03:01:25 PM
Bikini instead of sukumizu? CAVE clearly needs to take Marketing 101. :laugh:

Cave's just covering all their bases -- Hikari's sporting the revered school swimsuit (well, a one piece that looks close enough). Hearing them say "hazukashi" whenever you pick expert is a bit disturbing though...

Icarus

Quote from: Naut on February 03, 2012, 05:37:14 PM
Cave's just covering all their bases -- Hikari's sporting the revered school swimsuit (well, a one piece that looks close enough). Hearing them say "hazukashi" whenever you pick expert is a bit disturbing though...

You'd be embarrassed too, if you were made to fly into a heated battle wearing nothing but a two-piece bikini.

Mmmm, yummy. If I was an enemy pilot, I know I'd be distracted.
I do find it funny how power = less clothing, though. Maximum Power Mode = naked? :p

Sapz

Still waiting hopefully for a Type A or Expert clear video. :(

Very interesting speculations about the scoring system. At first glance it appears like autochaining, but knowing Cave there's got to be some difficult and precise mechanic for getting at the higher scores.

EDIT: Oh wait, here's an A-S video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpsqm5QuBGA

I like the bomb. :D

EOJ

You guys have to keep in mind Cave almost always tweaks or changes the scoring system, bullet patterns, and difficulty level between the time of the location test ver and final ver. Look at Futari, for example. Its location test ver scoring system is totally different from ver 1.0. So I wouldn't spend too much time analyzing the system just yet.

Basically Cave gets feedback from top players, then makes changes. If there are still complaints after release, they make a 1.5.
My score archive

Sapz

Here's a B-E run I found, up to stage 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fkXc_1Ch8c

Wow, it really is a lot harder, almost like a second loop. I'm curious if it'll loop considering how much more challenging this already looks.

Noted about the scoring system; suffice to say that however it ends up working, I'm even more excited for this after seeing the Expert mode. There seem to be a lot more hypers generated here which is I guess the scoring advantage.

Daverost

Quote from: Icarus on February 03, 2012, 05:55:59 PM
I do find it funny how power = less clothing, though. Maximum Power Mode = naked? :p

Ar tonelico logic.

moozooh

Yeah, it's just the silly front for Shot/Laser/Expert subtypes, except this time Expert makes the game harder like Strong style does in DFK BL.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.