Dodonpachi Saidaioujou [Cave 2012, ARCADE]

Started by joeks, December 21, 2011, 02:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Quote from: SuperPang on April 23, 2012, 12:08:47 PM
Firstly, it looks horrific :lol: The bubblegum style and ridiculously vibrant colour pallet are really gaudy. The soundtrack is equally sickly. A very odd experience in what is otherwise DOJ2. It would probably work better in high res. The inevitable port might make more sense.

The guy who installed it at a-cho kept fiddling with the monitor, complaining there was "too much blue in the game". He finally realized it was the game, not the monitor, and let us play. The first two stages are sorta vibrant/bubblegummy but stage 4 is pretty dark, as is stage 5. I really like the look of the game overall, but I do wish there was a bit more variation in the colors used in the stages.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

My score archive

MikeNeko

Quote from: Cave-STG on April 23, 2012, 09:40:53 PM
The guy who installed it at a-cho kept fiddling with the monitor, complaining there was "too much blue in the game". He finally realized it was the game, not the monitor, and let us play. The first two stages are sorta vibrant/bubblegummy but stage 4 is pretty dark, as is stage 5. I really like the look of the game overall, but I do wish there was a bit more variation in the colors used in the stages.

Ahaha that s pretty funny ^^
I too wish the backgrounds were more diverse in setting... i prefer nature-themed levels to cities.
That said, i like the enemies and specially bosses, they look more polished than DFK from what i can see...
I love when there are return of classic bosses mixed with new, even though their place should be as mid boss.

still... a year to wait here, i guess, for the eventual port.

Thank you guys for your hard work on the game already ;) and the reports ! nice reads

SuperPang

I have a beautiful Konami Windy monitor for my CV1000 games. It had Espgaluda 2 in previously and the colours are perfect, it looks gorgeous, so I'm not going to fiddle just for this. SDOJ is quite an assault on the senses, it's very busy and overly colourful. It's like the programmers and artists were working on two different games. :laugh: You make a good point about the later levels though EOJ.

genevois

Muchi Muchi Spork

I spotted the kit at Excellent but I can't tell what their markup is. Maybe if someone posted what their final amount paid was including shipping you could compare. Or maybe a couple of hundred dollars don't matter to you.

SuperPang

SuperPang

Could any lurkers with the PCB check something for me please?

On the loudest explosions, such as a midboss going down, I'm hearing a sort of crackle/rattle at the end of the sound sample. This could just be a crap sound effect but it sounds to me like distortion. I can't seem to hear it on Youtube vids but it is rather quiet, I doubt you'd even hear it in an arcade so I was wondering if anyone else has noticed or if this could in fact be a fault on my PCB. I've tried it in two separate cabs btw.

x91

Just posted some brief scoring concepts in that SDOJ guide thread. Check it out if you're interested.

eckart

Superpang, i can check that. Hopefully on friday, or maybe on monday.
Don`t get the stuff straight to my door, had to pick it up at the office and pay taxes...  :P

EOJ

Quote from: Cave-STG on February 21, 2012, 08:01:59 AM
Their previous games had multiple location tests. This is nothing new.

Quote from: SuperPang on February 21, 2012, 09:09:13 AM
I'm not sure AK did though? They seem to have learnt from that experience which is great to see.

Sorry for digging up an old-ish post, but just FYI I checked today and AK had at least 7 different location tests:

http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=944.msg18628#msg18628

EDIT: I checked the official AK site and the game had 15 location tests in total.
My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

EOJ

Stage 2 boss safe spot has been found, in the last phase:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17634113

This also shows the bosses self-destruct after a certain amount of time.

EDIT: Stage 3 boss safe spot in the last phase:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17632369
My score archive

SuperPang

I've got over my dislike of the graphical style and am enjoying this a lot. It's proper old school danmaku, all about dodging bullets. Triggering a hyper and watching that boost counter fly up is fun too. The chaining may not be very strict but you still have to be faultless. It's all about getting that hyper meter up quickly. I'm still using them to save my ass however. I'm too busy avoiding bullets to think about any scoring exploits. My score has hardly budged. :facepalm: Level 3 goes on forever! I doubt I'll get very far with this scoring wise but like DOJ it's fun just to play for survival.

trev1976

PinkBrutus

purchased game ...
can not wait to receive it ...
I hope next week

TonK

If anyone wants to buy it, Cave is making more copies.

MAK Japan is taking preorders (50% down) - game will be in stock within a week.

Apparantly they didn't make enough to meet demand.

trev1976

eckart

Got my copy today and played allmost 4-5 hours nonstop.:)

I love it. The more you play, the more fun it makes.
It is realy colorfull overall , i wouldn`t say blueish backgrounds after i play it.
Close to the backgrounds to espg 2 maybe.
-Plays like butter.
From the difficulty on low rank i would say easier than ketsui and doj.
If rank goes up than you have soon the devil in your neck.:)

Made it after a while to the 3rd endboss.

The bigger hitbox is a bit of a worry, but after a while you work with it.
If i hear on headphones some samples are not 100% clean. A bit snow in the background.
Not sure if this is normal or my setup and a voltage issue.

Cave :righton:

Fu-ZAN

Quote from: eckart on April 26, 2012, 04:57:34 PM
From the difficulty on low rank i would say easier than ketsui and doj.
A bit off topic but between Ketsui and DDP DOJ, which is the hardest do you think?

GaijinPunch

Quote from: TonK on April 26, 2012, 03:46:00 PM

MAK has never not been taking orders.  50% down what?  50% time down the road?  50% off price? They couldn't keep up w/ demand so they are making more for half the price?  Sound logic.

ookitarepanda

Maybe 50% down is too American a phrase. He means they require 50% of the cost up front for a preorder.

Despatche

since i just so happened to see this
Quote from: Fu-ZAN on April 26, 2012, 07:35:46 PMA bit off topic but between Ketsui and DDP DOJ, which is the hardest do you think?
this is comparing ketsui and dojbl; original doj is a good bit harder and the second loop has the whole life system, so i don't really know.

ket is absolutely positively most definitely harder on the first loop, it's probably harder on the second (at least for ket ura, dunno about omote), and i have the strangest feeling ket is a harder game to do well in (i.e. i'm not sure at all about scoring though i wouldn't be surprised if dojbl was harder here). tbch first loop of original doj is still easier than first loop of ket

...oh, the topic! yes, that thing... "everything needs more bubblegum :3" i guess

TonK

Quote from: GaijinPunch on April 26, 2012, 07:45:17 PM

MAK has never not been taking orders.  50% down what?  50% time down the road?  50% off price? They couldn't keep up w/ demand so they are making more for half the price?  Sound logic.

lol, wut?

Erppo

Quote from: Despatche on April 26, 2012, 09:03:22 PM
this is comparing ketsui and dojbl; original doj is a good bit harder and the second loop has the whole life system, so i don't really know.

ket is absolutely positively most definitely harder on the first loop, it's probably harder on the second (at least for ket ura, dunno about omote), and i have the strangest feeling ket is a harder game to do well in (i.e. i'm not sure at all about scoring though i wouldn't be surprised if dojbl was harder here). tbch first loop of original doj is still easier than first loop of ket

I agree with everything in this post. With scoring though, DOJ (especially BL) is more unforgiving since the max bonus and hyper planning mean mistakes have longer reaching consequences.

EOJ

The last part of this stage 5 vid is pretty awesome:

http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm17655433

I think this may be Cave's most exhilarating scoring system yet. When you kick in that lv 6+ hyper and blast through the end of the stage - it's like a rollercoaster ride.
My score archive

EOJ

Seems demand is increasing after release. I`ve heard Ebisen arcade has 3 PCBs now, and other arcades in Japan are reported to be buying extra PCBs to accomodate demand. Seems to be a really popular game - maybe enough to get Cave back into regular arcade releases! If they want to keep the sales rolling, they should just make an SH3 Ketsui 2 next.

On a different topic, on 2Ch some guy claims to have beaten Expert with A type, died 3 times in the run and got nothing extra at the end. No TLB, no credit roll. No miss is required? Perhaps.
My score archive

EOJ

Quote from: Muchi Muchi Spork on April 20, 2012, 11:34:32 AM
Snagged these from a stream after it crashed.

Grab it because tinypic will surely delete it soon.

Is this the only Cave arcade game without "MASTER VER" on the copyright screen?
My score archive

Muchi Muchi Spork

Technically missing "master", including black/special versions there are:

MUSHIHIMESAMA FUTARI BLACK LABEL
"2007/12/11 BLACK LABEL VER"
"2009/11/17 INTERNATIONAL BL"

DEATHSMILES MEGABLACK LABEL
"2008/10/06 MEGABLACK LABEL VER"

DODONPACHI DAIFUKKATSU BLACK LABEL
"2010/ 1/18 BLACK LABEL"

AKAI KATANA LIMITED VERSION
"2010/11/18 CAVE SHOP LIMITED VER."
[Maybe an earlier one without a period too]

MUSHIHIMESAMA 1.5 MATSURI VERSION
"2011/5/23 CAVEMATSURI VER1.5"

DODONPACHI SAIDAIOUJOU
"2012/ 4/20"

DEATHSMILES II
Not sure about this one yet, but I have seen things like "2ND UPDATE MASTER VER 3.00" and "??? Character Lvl Open 1" at the bottom of the title screens on different versions. I have version 4.00 on the way.

Then there are also the matsuri 1 of a kind boards, campaigns, Guwange Blue... Yes I am a huge Cave nerd and proud.

EOJ

Right, but it's the only regular release (non-bl/limited/matsuri ver) without a MASTER VER. Seems to be the only game released with just a date there.
My score archive