Dodonpachi Saidaioujou [Cave 2012, ARCADE]

Started by joeks, December 21, 2011, 02:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brentsg

DS and DSMBL have no sound issues that I've ever heard described as defective.  Are they fantastic, no.. But nothing that would prompt anyone to consider returning a PCB.

Mushi Mushi Spork, how much time have you spent with SDOJ?

SinHo

Quote from: eckart on May 01, 2012, 03:21:50 PM
Counterstop..

Just got response from fujita:

We are sorry you have problem.
Cave told us to tell you that they will replacement as soon as
received it from you.

I will send the pcb back to japan. Realy not know if it wise, but payed so much for this pcb..-it has to be 100% ok.

- Anybody notize the missing sound of an explosion in level three, btw?

I got my PCB on Monday this week, but I can't really say that I have any problems with the sound (at least to the point that I need to send it back)... I did not pre-order but shipping data was 25/4 from Japan, hence my PCB should be for the first batch....

I will turn up the volume and see if I can detect any problems with the sound... 

eckart

Thank you SinHo!

-Maybe we have realy some with this issue and some without.

THE

I didn't hear any problems in the MP3.

Maybe it would be smart to go into the sound test menu?

Having bad sound quality in arcade games is not a bug though, it's normal  :'(
The future is 2D

SuperPang

It's not just low bitrate audio, there is distortion to the louder effects, you can't hear it in that MP3 but it's obvious on a cab at medium-high volume.

I'm going to email Yumi and see whats what. If Cave can fix it I'll gladly send it back, although I'll miss it.

eckart

-THE, you can hear it a bit in the middle part. It is more a thin distortion.
in original you cannot overhear it. Not sure why it is recorded so badly.

Anyway, playing with loudspeakers the problem is not to hear in my case.
-very delicious ..

Sorry, maybe we talk further in the pcb forum. It is a bit off topic here.

SuperPang

Thank you for your email.

Regarding problem , Cave told us to tell you if you would like to check ,
Please send it .
They do not know what problem you have. there is sound problem
Some customer said. but we do not hear it in japan at moment.

If there is any information we have, will let you know asap.

Best regards,
Yumi

Sounds like that would be a waste of time. I might live with it until Cave notice it. I'm sure it effects all PCBs.

Muchi Muchi Spork

Quote from: brentsg on May 02, 2012, 03:31:37 AM
DS and DSMBL have no sound issues that I've ever heard described as defective.  Are they fantastic, no.. But nothing that would prompt anyone to consider returning a PCB.

Mushi Mushi Spork, how much time have you spent with SDOJ?

Yeah I wouldn't call them defective either, just poor quality. I recall when I first got DSMBL the quality irritating me so much that I spent time in service mode playing with the sounds and trying messing with the internal volume controls but they are always crap no matter how you set it. I once borrowed a friend's DS board, also sounded crap, then later picked one up for myself, crap. All crap. Some early games came out OK with squeezing everything into the 2 chips and they just stuck with it. They could probably make a lot of money if they offered a sound upgrade where they would upgrade boards to use 4 sound roms with samples redone and at higher bitrates.

I don't have SDOJ yet, I was only referring to videos I have seen and the mp3 posted. Have you gotten it yet? If so, what are your thoughts? I like hearing people's reviews as much as new videos. Everyone seems to love it?

SuperPang

I'm loving it, btw. It's really high level stuff but I'm still having fun getting bummed in the gob, much like DOJ. In fact it's probably more fun than that because dropping a chain doesn't ruin everything. I'll always have fond memories of DOJ and I like DFK BL a lot but this is possibly the best DDP. People could be playing this for 10 years as well if Cave haven't missed anything.

eckart

Loving it, too.
Guess i spend a 100 credits on it till now.

I have a highscore with something over 1 billion on my pcb ( maybe from the tester ) and i can`t reach it. It freaks me out..
My score is near that. Level 4 midboss.

Imo the bossfights are realy sharp. Even the first one.
I try now to stay directly under the canon and relax. The last runs it works.

Level three midboss is very charming. Destroying the right factories cause bulletcanceling and you can manage to dodge the patterns.
Ketsui midboss level three is much more difficult, imo.
It is very cool that you have some freedom of gameplay. Use hyper rise your rank or didn`t hyper and safe it for the big rank.

Didn`t like that your score shows the highscore after death. It is the same like ketsui, if i remember correctly.
Not a big deal, anyway.

A great contrast to dfk bl.
Hope a 360 release is happening.

- The background look reminds me a bit of the one from muchi muchi pork.
Wonder if it is the same director.

TonK

More thoughts on the game.

- Definetely made for higher level players, not the casual shooter fan.

- Scoring is tough for a mid-level player such as myself. I've only gotten 1.8b (just shy of the second extend, rounded up. Level 4 boss.) and I feel like getting the second extend would be like a 1CC for me. Believe me, that was a VERY lucky run.

- The patterns are perfectly programmed for higher level players, very tricky to get around.

- The larger than normal or oddly positioned hit box is a challenge getting used to, for me at least.

- The visuals are very nice, but extremely boring. The game lacks charm. I find that important for games that I like.

- Music is pretty cool, well composed and suits the title well.

- It's the most difficult in the DDP series, surpassing DOJ and DFK BL.

- The replay value, for me, is low - a more experienced player may really like the challenge.

- Chains are very easy to hold onto, easiest in the DDP series.

- I personally rank DDP and DDP DOJ higher on my rating scale.

- Game is more difficult than Ketsui's first loop, DOJ's first loop and Futari Maniac.

- Even with loads of practice, I will not 1CC this game.

- Cave really got it right for the higher level players, so I'll sit back and watch their vids.

SinHo

Quote from: TonK on May 03, 2012, 12:36:37 AM
More thoughts on the game.

- Definetely made for higher level players, not the casual shooter fan.

- Scoring is tough for a mid-level player such as myself. I've only gotten 1.8b (just shy of the second extend, rounded up. Level 4 boss.) and I feel like getting the second extend would be like a 1CC for me. Believe me, that was a VERY lucky run.

- The patterns are perfectly programmed for higher level players, very tricky to get around.

- The larger than normal or oddly positioned hit box is a challenge getting used to, for me at least.

- The visuals are very nice, but extremely boring. The game lacks charm. I find that important for games that I like.

- Music is pretty cool, well composed and suits the title well.

- It's the most difficult in the DDP series, surpassing DOJ and DFK BL.

- The replay value, for me, is low - a more experienced player may really like the challenge.

- Chains are very easy to hold onto, easiest in the DDP series.

- I personally rank DDP and DDP DOJ higher on my rating scale.

- Game is more difficult than Ketsui's first loop, DOJ's first loop and Futari Maniac.

- Even with loads of practice, I will not 1CC this game.

- Cave really got it right for the higher level players, so I'll sit back and watch their vids.

You just put words to my thoughts  :)

Even if DFK BL in my mind one of the best Cave games ever, I'm not a big fan of the DDP series. Will most likely put this game back in the box and get back to DFK BL or my long term project Futari BL.

Btw, yesterday I increased the volume and played a couple of credits... and as far as I can hear, I don't have any problems with the sound. But the sound quality is probably the worst ever in a Cave game.

Lunchbox

Is it larger? I hadn't said that after watching some vids...
What's the issue with the hitbox? I'm intrigued.
No arcades in Spain.

moozooh

From what I've seen in the videos, hitbox in Expert seems smaller than in Shot/Laser. Could anyone confirm? That Hibachi 2nd form no-miss video has such tight dodges I haven't seen them done on S/L even once.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

Lunchbox

the way Original mode vs. Maniac/Ultra?
No arcades in Spain.

moozooh

Kaneda

Yea, I think it's smaller, too.

Generally, I'm not one to complain much about hitboxes, but the one in SDOJ does take some getting used to.

I still really like the game, but I think it'll be another year before we can say for sure where it stands. For now, it's the most fun I've had with a Cave game since MMP.

moozooh

French player back has pm'd me on shmups farm confirming that Expert hitbox is indeed smaller, and that as much is said on the Japanese SDOJ wiki. This should be added to the guide.

Fu-ZAN

There was a cast FYI yesterday in France during 2 hours about STG. A long discussion going on about SDOJ, so this has a lot of chance being true.
Still no video since may 1st... I'm getting thirsty.

mrjingles

Just thought I'd my post my first impressions after having the game in my cab for just a day: it's bloody brilliant! Top draw Cave  :righton:

I wasn't crazy about DFK but SDOJ is a slicker more satisfying experience. It is indeed very hard ..I'm struggling to get past level 3 on 1 cc but the bullet patterns are sublime and great fun to carve into.

I think the visuals are pretty epic. This kind of thing is always in the eye of the beholder but SDOJ is just dripping with style and gorgeously designed enemy ships. I have a feeling I'll be playing this for some time to come!

SFN

True last boss found with B-L!

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17725955

Squeaky. Patterns are DDP, DOJ and DFK combined.
Can't wait for the Expert version.

moozooh

Her opener is also the opener from DP.

Bravo, Cave. Despite the aesthetics hilarity, this is a bona fide TLB fight without tap-dodging and cheese. :righton:

Just hoping the Expert version won't be half the speed from all the slowdown. :laugh:

I'm guessing the requirements are: all bees, no-miss until Hachi, and finishing the Hachi fight at high rank (probably 20 or 25).

darkidol

Dream TLB.  Seem to have progressed from gabber to almost noise!  Love how the sprite moves about the screen also.  The transform from Galuda style girlie to bare Donpachi bee was pretty creepy.  All in all what a TLB should be - the stuff of nightmares.

Sapz

This really looks stunning. Seems like the most frenetic and fast paced Cave TLB in... well, ever, really. I know some will complain about the voices but I think the crazy cackles and such combined with the intense music and obscene bullet speed make it look like a truly insane, panic-stricken experience. Awesome stuff! :righton:

Kiel

Quote from: SFN on May 03, 2012, 05:29:15 PM
True last boss found with B-L!

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17725955

Squeaky. Patterns are DDP, DOJ and DFK combined.
Can't wait for the Expert version.

Ugh, annoying little girls with even more annoying voice samples. I'm glad I'll never be able to get to that point so I don't have to put up with it.

pestro87

Wow, I can't believe somebody actually made it there!!! Thanks a bunch for sharing dude!  :righton: Those bullet patterns were pretty nasty... :S

SFN

[spoiler]Obviously the whole BARIAAA~wwwwwww thing was intentional so that you don't bomb the hell out of everything[/spoiler]

Seconding Sapz here. It's repetitive, but very appropriately maniacal.

cstarflare

I'm a little disappointed, it feels like when Zatsuza was revealed and I it was very similar to Arrange A's Hibachi. It's a neat homage to everything before and dodging them all is probably very different than their original versions, but I hope Expert's patterns are a little more original.

Still, 500 mil for the TLB is nice. Does it do anything for the clear bonus?

EOJ

Quote from: cstarflare on May 03, 2012, 08:43:57 PM

Still, 500 mil for the TLB is nice.

It's 5 billion, actually. Which makes it necessary for top scores. Looks pretty crazy to me, I'll never 1CC that thing.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

1CC with C-EXPERT by YOS.K:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17724752
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17724905

No TLB, I think you need to no miss the whole game to get that to appear.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999