Main Menu

PS3 recommendations?

Started by EOJ, March 31, 2008, 06:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

I picked up a 40GB PS3 last week, and I really love the machine. In fact, much to my surprise I like just about everything about it more than the Wii and the X360. For example: it's region free, it upscales my DVD movies, I can watch bluray movies on it, playing online is free, and it won't randomly blow up or die.

So far I've picked up Folksoul (Folklore in the US), and downloaded Mortal Kombat II (an old favorite) off the PSN. I've been having a blast playing MKII online with random dudes - brings me back to the mid-90s US arcade scene that I used to love. For $5, it's an amazing deal, and the matches are pretty smooth. I've played Folksoul a few hours and it's quite good - better than I expected. It's made by Game Republic, who also made the excellent Brave story rpg for the PSP.

I've preordered Senjo no Valkyria, due out on 4/24, and I'm pretty excited for that as 1)the game looks amazing, and 2)It's made by the Sakura Taisen team, which is one of the best development teams out there IMO. I also ordered Agarest Senki, a JP-only strategy game, and I pre-ordered Battle Fantasia due out on 5/22 (it's only $53.99 shipped at yesasia.com!).

Any other recommendations? Super Puzzle fighter HD remix is fun, and I'll probably download that off the PSN soon.

Oh, I also picked up the 4-bluray boxset "Planet Earth". I highly recommend this!
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

freddiebamboo

Quote from: EOJOh, I also picked up the 4-bluray boxset "Planet Earth". I highly recommend this!
Yeah, it's a wonderful series - especially when all that seems to be made these days is reality TV and crap sitcoms - it's good to see the BBC & Discovery making a high budget nature doc.  I've yet to see it in HD (actually not seen anything in HD yet), but I'd imagine it is one of the few things that is massively benefitted from it.

BTW, I heard the US changed the Attenborough narration with Sigourney Weaver.  What one did you get?

EOJ

I have the USA bluray edition, and it has a british guy narrating.

This is so good to get in HD because it was filmed in HD. It's gorgeous, and really shows off the bluray format. I've only watched the first disc so far (the one with mountains, freshwater, and "from pole to pole").

The only crappy part is that the DVD edition has 100+min of bonus footage that was not included in the bluray and HD-DVD releases!:mad: Pretty stupid as that material was also filmed in HD.
My score archive

freddiebamboo

David Attenborough is wonderful, he actually just kinda retired by making the last in his nature documentaries on Life In Cold Blood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Attenborough

It's probably worth picking up his other series if you like Planet Earth - Blue Planet is excellent, if a little similar to Planet Earth in its large scope.

RGC

I concur with Mr bamboo on this one. The only Attenborough series I've not seen yet is The Life of Birds. I can heartily recommend everything else he's done, including The Private Life of Plants (which I suspected might be tedious, but turned out to be fantastic). The insect series was terrific too, just a shame there were only 5 episodes.

EOJ

I would no longer recommend Folksoul/Folklore. Played it a couple more hours and it's pretty annoying. Just a bunch of hammering buttons, and collecting pokemon-type monsters. Bleh. Too bad, as it starts out strong and has an interesting premise (great art as well). I'll be dumping this on ebay tomorrow.
My score archive