Where to start... Where to start...

Started by Luffy III, May 13, 2012, 12:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luffy III

Hello fellow Cave gamers and bullet frenzy gamers all around the world!

I need some helpful hints and tricks to master a basic bullet frenzy game (like to say the other term but I'm keeping it clean), I started with Deathsmiles and still taking the tortoise steps such as the basics (no achievements given but its pointless on achievements with Xbox 360 as I play it for fun purposes and may do a pride video on my Personal best in future once I get a capture card and a arcade stick) until I master the characters, understanding the bullet patterns, etc. But sometimes I see an illusion of patterns that are hard to evade that makes me collide into them and take damage.

I also got some research on several bullet frenzy games such as from the 24H1CC marathon from an expert gamer (subscriber as well)

Which game should I start with other than Deathsmiles?

Many thanks!

Not many Aussies dare to play these types of games, they are mostly used to their Modern Warfares or Call of Duty games, know or seen any Aussie members that play these types of games, or am I the only few in Australia? lol

Luffy III

Softdrink 117

I'm new here too, and might not be the best person to give advice, so I'll keep this short.

First, have a look at this thread:
http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=1533.0
It's got some similarities to your questions. It also has a link to ProMeTheus' article about playing STGs competitively, The Full Extent of the Jam. It's both informative and interesting, and covers a lot of basic and not-so-basic elements of play. I highly recommend you check it out.

Second, I have a couple tips from personal experience. One is that you should try to develop a strong sense of where your character is at any given moment without needing to actually watch yourself moving. Be able to look ahead and prepare yourself for the next series of moves and attacks. In other words, be able to look at what you will be doing, not just what you're trying to do in the moment. My other piece of advice is simple: take it slow. It can be very, very difficult to learn a new game, especially if you aren't very familiar with the genre to start with. Don't try to learn everything at once.

To answer your other question:
Deathsmiles is a nice game to start with because you can select difficulty on each stage-- so if you know you have a hard time with the Volcano,  for example, you can set it lower if needed. If you want to move to another game, Mushihime-sama Futari might be a good pick. I've only played it on the iOS port, because my console copy is still coming, but I find Original mode a very enjoyable challenge. It's hard, but relatively easy to pick up and learn.

EDIT:
Looking back on what I wrote, I'm contradicting myself here. What I mean to say is that playing STGs can be very challenging, but it's an incredibly enjoyable and enriching challenge. "Hard" is a bad word, because it has negative connotations. My apologies for any confusion. ;p

Orochi S

Mushihimesama Futari is a great game (far better than Deathsmiles, I'd say), is region free, quite cheap and not too difficult on the easier modes. You should definitely go for that.

EOJ

My advice is to find a game with a scoring system that fits like a glove for you. Once you do, play it exclusively for awhile, practice stages, practice bosses, watch videos & replays for tips and different strategies, discuss strats with fellow forum members, and go from there. I start a new game by playing full runs for a few days, then I practice the first couple stages with full runs tossed in to break up the monotony. After that, it's mostly full runs with  patterns learned and refined with each new run. It's really not very hard, just requires some study, practice, and decent video game skills.

Also, play to improve your score from the start. It's good to refer to this as your PB (Personal Best). Always focus on your PB, but keep in mind the top score and be objective about your progress.  Furthermore, don't fall into the trap of thinking the bar is lower for you and therefore you can be satisfied with lower scores.  Aim high and dream big, you'll be surprised what you can achieve. The 1CC will follow in due time.

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Luffy III

Easily done! I love a challenge, its time to turn the heat up! The best thing is to have fun and enjoy something new and a genre that is well forgotten (sort of) in the past... It is so much better than playing a Just Dance game! Score big, dodge many bullets and learn new arts of the bullet frenzy genre. Well, It seems I'm the only Aussie that dares to attempt this kind of genre (some are very hard to find to see who is ready to take on the challenge!)

TimingTripod40

Quote from: eojx9999 on May 13, 2012, 04:15:38 AM
Furthermore, don't fall into the trap of thinking the bar is lower for you and therefore you can be satisfied with lower scores.  Aim high and dream big, you'll be surprised what you can achieve. The 1CC will follow in due time.
So much truth in this.