Wasshoi 2012 (Team up with Tougeki)

Started by adverse, July 01, 2012, 09:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adverse

This year's Tougeki (biggest major Japanese fighting game tournament) will be combined with Wasshoi, the shooting event that has featured live superplays by Kamui, SWY, Clover-TAC and many more.

Update: OFFICIAL SITE IS OPEN: http://www.tougeki.com/

Schedule revised below:

Dates: August 4th and 5th

■August 4th (Saturday)
  ▼Shooters
・Strikers 1945 II (Player: Y Saitou)
・Mushihimesama Futari Black Label (Player: NAK)
・Battle Garegga (Player: Masato)
・Esprade (Player: MKZ)
・Strikers 1945 II (Player:  M.T)
・Ketsui (Player: SPS)

▼Fighting Games
・SF IV Arcade Edition 2012
・VF5 Final Showdown
・Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Unlimited
・Soul Calibur V

▼Performing musicians
・Kenji Ito
・IDOLM@STER (Eriko Nakamura, Yumi Hara, Azumi Asakura)
・Nobuyushi Sano
・ZUNTATA+Norihiro Furukawa
・TEKARU(noisycroak)
・Manabu Namiki
・FreQuency(FROM SOFTWARE)
・Yonaokeishi
・Libustoro (Basiscape Band)
・Yasuhisa Watanabe (Studio Dual Moon)

■August 5th (Sunday)
▼Shooters
・Ikaruga (Player:  Hattori)
・Battle Garegga (Player: Kamui)
・Dragon Blaze (Player: Musshu)
・Progear (Player: R)
・Touhou Perfect Cherry Blossom (Player: ISO)
・Dodonpachi Saidaioujou (Player: TAC)

▼Fighting Games
・Aquapazza
・Persona 4 Fighter
・Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
・Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

▼Performing musicians
・k.h.d.n.
・Go Sato
・Kouta Takahashi
・Hideyuki Fukasawa
・Blind Spot (Hobo S.S.T. Band)
・HEAVY METAL RAIDEN
・Yuu Miyake

Tickets: 4500 yen for one day, 7500 yen for both
Tickets can be bought at Lawson convenience stores: http://www.tougeki.com/fes_ticket

I will be heading out there, probably for both days. If anybody else from this board is interested, get in touch.

TimingTripod40

That shmup line-up looks amazing. Any chance of footage from this coming out?

CIB

I thought the tougeki was helding place in the tokyo game show ?

adverse

Updated first post with ticket prices and list of music performers.  :righton:

I would hope that footage of the event is eventually sold in some capacity, but none of the previous Wasshoi events were, possibly due to rights issues. But Tougeki I believe has a DVD every years, so I would hope this event would get one too.

Re: Tokyo Game Show, yeah they teamed up the last two years for TGS, but for whatever reason have switched locations to the countryside. Bit of a pain to get out there actually.

TimingTripod40

I'd pay you to film the Futari BL runs with a cell phone or something.

EOJ

As it happens I'll be in Tokyo those days on business, maybe I'll be able to head over to Narita and check this out.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

adverse

Awesome.  :righton:

If it looks like you can make it let me know which days you'll be there.

More info, the name of the event is apparently GAME SUMMER FESTIVAL 2012. Going to try to see if I can buy tickets after work today.

This site has info on the event in Japanese: http://sound.txt-nifty.com/namiki/

Wasshoi official blog seems to have been abandoned since about a year ago.

Daverost

> biggest fighting game tournament
> no Arcana Heart 3

i sad

Cool to see some iM@S girls there, though.

adverse

Official site is open, ALL games and players announced!  :righton:

Information is all in the OP. This is going to be an incredibly sick event.

TimingTripod40

Quote from: adverse on July 01, 2012, 09:53:19 AM
・Mushihimesama Futari Black Label (Player: NAK)
Holy fuck I need to see this. Pretty please?  :'(

NAK's replay on the God mode 360 leaderboards was pretty much what showed me how amazing Futari and scoreplay in general was when up to that point all I really cared about was 1ccs. As he seems to have improved quite a bit since then I think you're in for something special. How I envy you.

adverse

Just FYI, tickets are definitely on sale for this now. I picked up my ticket today. Official name of the event is Game Summer Festival 2012 so if you search for ゲーム in the Lawson ticket system it's easy to find.

Tougeki events tend to sell out so I would advise picking up tickets sooner than later.

Gus, you should fly out ;D

EOJ

Turns out I won't be able to make it due to my schedule. Oh well.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

adverse

That sucks man. The location is quite out of the way, even for Tokyo-ites so it's definitely hard to just "stop by" as it were. That's a shame because previous Tougekis were pretty easy to get to.

Oh well, I'll post a recap after it's over.

TimingTripod40

Quote from: adverse on July 11, 2012, 12:23:45 AM
Gus, you should fly out ;D
You have no idea how much I'd love to do that but there's some real life factors preventing that from happening right now. Not just the cost and my desire to get dat Ultra 1cc but also I'm at the point in my life where I really do need to take some steps to ensure I don't spend the rest of my life as a total loser.

But really, if you absolutely can't film these runs then can't you at least tell NAK he's got some big fans who would love to see him release a new video? Sure there's ZAP's amazing superplay but it's with a character almost no one uses seriously and accounting for end game bonuses NAK likely got around 450m more out of the stages anyway. And that's not a knock on ZAP as his superplay is likely the most impressive run ever done on 1.5 or BL but Reco just has a good bit more scoring potential.

adverse

I will find NAK and let him know. I've seen him shred Maniac mode at Ebi-sen a few times. Pretty sure he's focused on SDOJ expert mode at the moment...

TimingTripod40

So how'd day 1 go? If I didn't make it clear enough already, I'm especially interested in how NAK's God mode run went. Please tell me there were cameras recording the event.

adverse

From NAK:

"Wow, 5 billion? That's a great score. There are only maybe 10 people that I know of in Japan that are above 5 billion. Tell him I support him and hope that he goes further with his score. I don't think I'll be releasing videos anytime soon. ZAK has put some out, but unless I can connect up all the parts from stages 1 through 5 to my satisfaction AND kill the TLB without missing I might not release anything. So even if I did, it would be awhile until I put something new out because I'm not at that level yet."

About the event:

It was in a word, amazing.

Clear highlights:

SPS's 490? billion Ura loop live performance. He is clearly one of the sickest players I've ever seen play shooters.
Mushi Futari Black God by NAK, I think he died maybe 2 times? But had some amazing scoring set-ups throughout. Pushing everything to the goddamn limit.
Garegga by Kamui - I missed this but it was a clear and was apparently excellent play.
SDOJ by Clover-TAC - An early miss on the 2nd boss cost him his entire game strategy but he pushed on in extremely high rank (28 at TLB) to beat Hibachi with a score around 24 bil or so? Clearly not playing his best scoring patterns but still some incredible play in tough circumstances.

Will write more tomorrow.

emphatic

Third_strike

I would like know the score progression in EspRade please!
Maybe a video...

TimingTripod40

Thanks a lot for asking NAK. Really wish I could have been there.

But I think you left out an important part. What was his score?

adverse

Hey GUS, I had to miss the end of Futari God like a chump because one of my favorite musicians was on stage right as NAK reached the Stage 5 boss.
I think I heard 6.2 bil for NAK on God? Like I mentioned he died twice on Stage 4, once while trying to bullet herd on the caterpillars. Hopefully someone can confirm the score for me.

Real Shinju forest!

This is what the big outdoor vertical screen really looked like. All of the pictures that follow are absolute trash representations of how awesome the event is. Hopefully we'll see posts by Prometheus and others with much better pictures.

So anyways my re-cap. It's going to have fighting game stuff in it because I spent time moving between areas.

On the way to Narita.

VF on the main stage first day. The highlight of VF was some really sick play by a female Aoi player who went undefeated in Top 8. Her team took 3rd. Not a single Akira in top 8, all mid-tier characters all the way to grand finals.

This is also where I figured out how goddamn hot the place was going to be. Sheeeeit (wire.gif). Must've been 40 celsius out there on metal pipe chairs. I was sunscreened up with two wet towels on my head for most of both days. Honestly surprised nobody died.

The outdoor game center. They even had a NESiCA cabinet that connected to the internet. I managed to stack a few wins in third strike and Senko no Ronde.

NAK on Futari.

Yasuhisa Watanabe on stage. He played remixes of different Senko no Ronde, Border Down and a lot of classic Grev games. Was really great to have the opportunity to see him live.

Demon Yamanaka on Garegga. Don't know the ship type, but I'm sure Eaglet or someone else can comment on this. Highlight of his run was being interviewed live by the announcers while holding the button and grinding on an invincible part. Unfortunately he was playing very aggressive with the rank and got down to 1 life and rammed into something on Stage 4, ending his run. I believe up until that point he had a C score? A bit disappointing, but nerves and the extreme heat made for very difficult playing conditions so it was by no means unexpected.

A shot near the Red Bull truck. Random DJs playing wanky techno, but hey some people liked it.

Haha, the clear highlight of the weekend for me. SPS dancing with death in Ketsui. Represented here by a beautiful pink screen thanks to my high-tech iPhone. Well, I don't know what to say. SPS is definitely one of the best players I've ever seen on a shooting game. Definitely on the same level as SWY and HFD, and possibly better given his incredibly fast decision-making and precision movements. He is extremely aggressive and spends lots of time at the top of the screen. He empty locks almost everything and always has a stream of 5s following his ship. Perfect 1st loop play, there's no other way to say it. I believe at the end of the 1st loop he had 250 mil? He carried through the momentum to 2-2 where he bombed twice, and then to 2-4 where he had his first miss. Otherwise just flawless.

So if you're not aware of this, tougeki this year was kind of an organizational clusterfuck, and unfortunately I fell victim to it here. Right as SPS hit 2-4 I had to catch the absolute last bus to Narita to get home to Tokyo, so I missed the very end, but apparently he took on Doom with 2 lives (and one bomb?) and managed to clear it to the crowd's delight. End score 420 mil or so?

Towards the end of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 top 16. Pretty good finals here. Every American player except for Justin Wong was out by top 16. The Japanese players had some funky teams with Red Arremer, Viewtiful Joe, Spiderman etc. on point. All very impressive except for the fact that Justin Wong's Wolverine team was enough to completely dominate everyone in the finals. Very convincing American victory here.

R on Progear. Ok this one I remember a bit better. I believe he finished out with about 230 million after 2 looping the game. He had some genuinely amazing patterns. Progear is always such a precarious game because you have to let a ton of bullets build up before you use the special shot to cancel everything and turn it into cash, diamonds etc. With R's patterns, if he had missed by even a millisecond he would have been done for. He was doing a lot of proximity grinding on enemies in the second loop instead of the build bullets -> cancel strategy from the first loop, and he wound up running into trouble on Stage 4 and lost a life there. He also had an early miss on the first loop somewhere in Stage 4 I believe which probably had a significant effect on his score. Still, he was able to very reliably clear the second loop and had some incredible dodging on second loop bosses as he milked them.

He was an odd one on the mic: the two presenters just kept talking and he couldn't really get a word in edgewise, then when he finally said something at the very end to wrap everything up his only words were: "I'm glad my play had a good result."

Heavy Metal Raiden, fronted by Wasi303 and the owner of Mikado. I don't even like Raiden and this was really dope. Hair metal with keyboards. The sound of 1998! BANG YO HEAD

Esprade last boss. The Esprade run was another one that was a bit of a disappointment. This was performed by WSM-MKZ, who is a lone wolf all the way down in Kumamoto-ken. He is the current world record holder AFAIK. He played Yusuke and his first run was marred by a busted joystick that had to be changed out. Then he managed to put on a great show in terms of his stage chaining, but time limits in the event prevented him from boss milking, so he only focused on showing off his stage strategies. Which were, basically: always be hitting everything at 16x, point black mid-sized enemies and kill them right before the bullets hit him. I believe he ended with 32 million? That's with almost 0 boss milking. Personally I thought it was an interesting run, but it was hard to tell how close it was to world record scores without the boss milking.

I don't have any pictures from Clover-TAC's run on SDOJ, but from the quality of what I've pasted above as you can see it probably wouldn't even be worth posting. ;) TAC played A-shot in SDOJ and you could see a very deliberate strategy from Stage 2 where he stored up 8 hypers and went in on the mid-sized enemy after the tank, racking up a 10k chain and melting the mid-boss. His goal was to pop Hibachi and destroy her, but in the meantime he was going to score well. Except all that changed on the Stage 2 boss. In the second raking bullet pattern that the boss throws at you, TAC got trapped on the left side of the screen and auto-bombed, losing 3 bombs. That was a big blow for him. You could see him get extremely nervous. He was the event closer. He'd done commentary for the majority of games that weekend (and extremely good commentary at that!!), and now he had lost one of his main tools for scoring well in SDOJ: keeping the rank down with intentional bomb usage. Given that there had been a few other runs that ended in failure, everyone was extremely nervous that he was going to fail since the SDOJ last boss requires clearing the game with less than one death.

Still, he stabilized things in Stage 3 and kept his hypers to a minimum. He no-hypered all the way through Stage 4, including the mid-boss!, which was shocking given that Stage 4 can give a significant score boost. But he was desperate to keep down the rank and give everyone what they came to see. He had lost the whip which with he'd tamed this game (bombs), and now he had to improvise. He was slowly gathering bombs and prepping to get through Stage 5. Ebihara, who was on commentary, speculated that he was going to go full bore on Stage 5 but I thought the opposite, that he was going to try to no-hyper all the way through and then melt Hibachi with a level 10 hyper. But Ebihara was right (in a way), TAC cleverly used hypers in extreme survival situations and kept a full chain throughout Stage 5. He dodged through some insane pressure patterns and made it to the Stage 5 boss at rank 28. Despite auto-bombing once, he disposed of the boss quite straightforwardly. He was now at rank 25 or so against Hibachi. First pattern he had brought in a level 8 hyper from the last attack of the stage 5 boss, so he dealt significant damage for a bit, but he bombed since the first Hibachi pattern is so crazy at high rank. At some point he reached the red wave pattern (still on rank 22 or so) and dodged it perfectly, no miss, which is the first time I've ever seen anybody do that at such high rank. He hit some auto-bombs and wound up in a pressure situation on his last life with a single bomb left, still managing to take the boss down, to the raucous cheers of the crowd.

The final call-up and applause for all the players. Everyone was deeply impressed by TAC's play, Kamui especially who had also felt the pressure to put on a good show after Demon Yamanaka's game over in Garegga.

Two days of extreme heat and bullet hell finally over, and Ebihara, the last rock of the arcade gaming scene, takes a well-deserved break.

emphatic

Wow, sounds like an amazing event. That enormous TATE screen outdoors is fabulous.  :laugh:

fuse

Interesting that for Tougeki, the outdoor setup (and general format) got a lot of stick, but for this it seems to have been pretty rad. Great post, awesome to hear all of the details and see the pics!

ookitarepanda

I can only imagine the horror if it rained  :'(

Looks fun!

brentsg

Adverse, thanks for the pics!  The outdoor vertical screen is amazing.. worth it just for that.

Too bad about the temp.  We had a family reunion a while back and it was 100F+ the whole weekend with all outdoor events.  There were quite a few elderly folks there and I was thinking the same exact thing all weekend, couldn't believe that nobody died.

AweOfShe

The event looks and sounds like a fantastic time. Love that TATE set-up too. :lol: Wish I could have been there!

Thanks for the pics.
XBox Live - AweOfShe1

Nereid

Awesome report, thanks!

Did you catch any of ISO's PCB play?

adverse

I did not unfortunately.

Pretty sure Erhune did, not sure if he has an account here though. Hopefully some other recaps pop up.

Erhune

Quote from: adverse on August 06, 2012, 11:48:50 PM
Pretty sure Erhune did, not sure if he has an account here though. Hopefully some other recaps pop up.

ISO did 2.457.044.670 points with Sakuya-B on PCB Lunatic (his own best is 2.807.532.900 with this setting). It was pretty solid play with no big mistakes I can remember. He did skip some boring milking parts to make the show more interesting, thus the lower score.

It was really impressing seeing that on a huge outdoor screen with splendid colors, at night, with ZUN drinking beers just a few tables from me. Quite a surrealistic experience.

In the after-play Q&A, ISO told us he's now at the 1700 hour mark on PCB  :oogle:
"It's hard to climb a mountain..."

TimingTripod40

Quote from: Erhune on August 07, 2012, 03:51:26 AM
In the after-play Q&A, ISO told us he's now at the 1700 hour mark on PCB  :oogle:
That's about how many hours I've put into Futari. :laugh: