Main Menu

Welcome back!

Started by EOJ, March 24, 2018, 07:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pic3k

badBrains

EOJ

I'm trying to change the site back to 'cave-stg.com' instead of 'bl.cave-stg.com'. There may be some glitches while this happens. I'll get it sorted ASAP, but just wanted to give you all a heads up.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

slateman

I'm nowhere near as 'hardcore' as many of you, but CAVE games were always my favorite and this place was my go-to place.  The return of the forums, and EOJ, bring a smile to my face.  Looking forward to coming back.  So psyched.  :D :D  :righton:

HVL

I miss adverse.

BULLETS TURN TO GOLD.

idc

idc

kidpanda

NintenCade360

Welcome back, EOJ! First-time member, but I lurked around constantly. This site got me interested in getting all the Cave Xbox 360 releases, hence the numbers via my username. I have all them, with exception to Instant Brain as it's a visual novel. I also have all the Love games (including GeSen Love) and Qute games. I'll probably get Natsuki Chronicles, whenever that comes out, despite not being interested in Xbox One.

EOJ

Okay, I've changed the url back to the proper one and I think I fixed all the glitches. Still some more mods to install and whatnot, but I think we're good to go now.

And hello to those posters above me!
My score archive

brentsg

Forgot to mention, thanks for the revival.  I had tried to archive the forum before it went away.  I failed miserably.

EOJ

Quote from: brentsg on March 24, 2018, 11:40:50 PM
Forgot to mention, thanks for the revival.  I had tried to archive the forum before it went away.  I failed miserably.

Hey, really nice to see you here again!

The story of this archive is that, on the day I pulled the site down I did a full back up of everything. This was two computers ago on an old external hdd. I had long sold the computer itself and wiped the data clean. This external hdd is quite old, and I haven't used it since this backup in 2012. I tossed it in a shipping box when I moved from Japan, and stuffed it in the back of my closet in my new place. After several years, I totally forgot about it, until last week.

I don't regret pulling the site down back in 2012, but I am sorry for any inconvenience it caused others. At the time I was really burnt out on these games, and the scene in general, and I felt it was an unhealthy and unproductive part of my life. I needed to focus on my family and work. It was the right decision for me at the time. It was quite liberating, actually! I moved on to other hobbies, particularly electric guitars (playing, buying, selling, fixing, researching, setting up, etc), which are still a great passion of mine.

In 2018, I am able to appreciate Cave and their games in a different, more reserved fashion, and I am more interested in studying aspects of the legacy of the company, as well as the fluctuations in the prices of their goods both past and present. I do hope to explore score-attacking a few of their games again, but I suspect it won't be with the same dedication I embraced in my younger years.
My score archive

drunkninja

Good to see this place back again, along with a few names I've not really seen in a few years.

Glad to see there was a working archive, and glad to be back here again! :righton:

slateman

Quote from: eojx9999 on March 25, 2018, 12:03:19 AMI do hope to explore score-attacking a few of their games again, but I suspect it won't be with the same dedication I embraced in my younger years.

Well isn't that how it goes?  I have four children now.  But back when DOJ came out on the PS2, I was obsessed.  Those two worlds simply cannot merge ever again. 

I just grabbed a 360 for dirt cheap after mine RRODed years ago.  Going back for some SDOJ runs was refreshing, especially without the rigorous constraint of *must.score.more*. 

We all hope you find that balance and that cave-stg doesn't weigh you down.  Glad you're back!

EOJ

I think I've found balance in the force. :righton:

But yeah, you're right about having kids and dedicating yourself to scoring in these games. Not very realistic anymore. That's OK. It was a fun ride while it lasted. Maybe we can teach the next generation.

I love SDOJ because it's pretty much the only game I enjoy just blasting my way through without paying attention to the scoring. It's a really good challenge.
My score archive

xygax

Wasn't there a general thread about the ports quality/accuracy? I can't find it. ^^"

IIRC it could be expanded. That would be useful as even on the farm precision info on particular games is sometimes quite scattered (just try to find talk exclusively about Donpachi ports: you'll find 100 posts about the DoDonpachi ones...)

Also maybe a reminder list of all the non-ported games like some matsuri prize exclusives etc, would be great. <3

Kaneda

Thanks for bringing it back, EOJ! Also nice to see you playing these games again.

EOJ

Quote from: xygax on March 25, 2018, 05:07:46 AM
Wasn't there a general thread about the ports quality/accuracy? I can't find it. ^^"

Also maybe a reminder list of all the non-ported games like some matsuri prize exclusives etc, would be great. <3

I think both of those were from the wordpress part of the old site. I also have that backup but I don't think I'm going to install WP again. I'm just going to stick with a forum this time. I'll try to just get the data out of the WP files and post it here in the forums.
My score archive

EOJ

Quote from: Kaneda on March 25, 2018, 05:19:53 AM
Also nice to see you playing these games again.

Thanks! Too bad I suck now. I just played Akai Katana and couldn't get past the 4th boss.
My score archive

Plasmo

You will be very surprised how quickly your skills come back. It's like riding the bike or swimming.

TimingTripod40

Great to have this site back. I remember messaging EOJ some time ago elsewhere that I wanted this site back. I've always felt there's never been a real replacement in the 6 years since it went down, so it's very welcome for it to be back.

graphure

Great to see the site return. I certainly used it as a handy point of information during the 360 shmup era, but never got around to registering back then. I'm glad I can finally rectify that oversight!

x9999

Oh god, I can't believe it! Finally, I got the opportunity to create an account on the legendary mystic cave-stg forum!

Stompp

Thank you for bringing CAVE-STG back to life again, eoj!  :righton:

kibo

Good News! Thanks EOJ.

tjb

Every 6-odd months since the closure I'd think about this place, I recently borrowed a mates 360 to get back into shmups too, what perfect timing

I'm so happy this place is back man <3

Monouchi

Awesome to have this forum back! Thanks EOJ.

Limpan

Yay, really cool to have the CAVE-STG forum back online. I became a member back in 2012, but did not post anything back then, I just lurked!  :)

Animaitor

Hola!! So nice from you to bring back the forum. It is also great to see lots of old faces. Kaneda, are you still in Japan?

I recently moved and yesterday I was going through my PCB collection and making sure there was no battery leaking. Replace the ones in Ibara, Mushihimesama and Futari BL just in case... and right after, I get this message about cave-stg coming back to life!? What the... XD

Anyways, thank you so much EOJ!!

Oniros

Hello everyone, some of you might recognize from the shmups forums. I started getting into Cave shmups back in 2014, long after the original closure of this place. Today, I don't play shmups nearly as much as I used to but I still like collecting them and listening to shmup OSTs. :) Glad to see a place as beloved as this come back! :D

Cell

Wanted: Mushihimesama PCB 

EOJ

Quote from: Animaitor on March 26, 2018, 10:54:55 AM
I recently moved and yesterday I was going through my PCB collection and making sure there was no battery leaking. Replace the ones in Ibara, Mushihimesama and Futari BL just in case... and right after, I get this message about cave-stg coming back to life!? What the... XD

:laugh: Seems the stars were all aligned. I've heard a few stories like this recently. Weird!

My score archive