Main Menu

List of fixable buggy Cave PCBs

Started by EOJ, December 09, 2007, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

It has not been very clear which Cave PCBs have bugs that need to be fixed, and if so, what bugs these are. So, I have searched around some Japanese BBS boards and dug up some info. Here are the Cave PCBs which have bugs, and are fixable through Cave for a fee of 21000yen. The specific fixes are given as well.

Ketsui - demonstration bug, stage 5 music bug, etc
Mushihimesama - Ultra mode 2P side TLB reset bug
Pink Sweets - Stage 6 item bug, that causes the game to freeze
Espgaluda II - 2P simultaneous bug (causes the game to freeze)
Muchi Muchi Pork - in game freeze bug (not very clear on this one)

I would bet most people never heard of the Galuda II bug, nor that it could be fixed through Cave. Interesting that the PS 'fixed' board apparently only fixes the stage 6 crashing bug, not the oft-speculated 'infinite lives' bug (which may not be a bug at all).
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Plasmo

What exactly is the item bug in Pink Sweets? Does it freeze when you collect too many items in a short time or does it depend on the items you collect??

EOJ

It has to do with the sections where the items and rose medals 'scatter' later in the level. Apparently something about this can make the game freeze, though I'm not sure if it has anything to do with how much you collect. I'll try and get clearer info on this.
My score archive

Shalashaska

I get to find out whether my Pink Sweets board is the neutered version or not in about 3 weeks when I go home on leave. :D

EOJ

Odds of getting a 'fixed' one are definitely stacked against you, but you could get lucky. Doesn't matter too much though, the bug is just on Stage 6 and I haven't reached that stage on a credit yet. I have played Score attack many times, and credit-fed through Stage 6 as well, and neither of my boards have ever frozen on me.
My score archive

richy13

hiya

i had my Espgaluda II pcb freeze up on me before ones. i got worried at the time so i turn off my cabinet left it for about 1min repowered it and its been fine since.but i was in tokyo/japan about 3 mouth ago and i shaw a Espgaluda 2 do the same freeze up in the same place mine did(2nd level first boss)

cheers richard

ps great forum here EOJ  :)

KOMA

Me too.
2nd level mid boss,sometimes the game freeze or i have no sound when the mid boss coming.

EOJ

I've had my Galuda II freeze twice - once on the stage 1 midboss, and another time in Stage 2. I'd like to get the fixed version, but I don't want to pay 21000yen + shipping for it!!

@richy13: thanks for the compliment about the forums, hope you enjoy posting here.  :righton:
My score archive

rtw

The Ketsui bug is easily fixed by burning a new EPROM.

The new version may be found at www.world-of-arcades.net

rtw
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

jpj

(pink sweets)
QuoteIt has to do with the sections where the items and rose medals 'scatter' later in the level. Apparently something about this can make the game freeze, though I'm not sure if it has anything to do with how much you collect. I'll try and get clearer info on this.
i've had it a few times, after god knows how many credits in score attack.  it always occurs during the final wave of enemies before the final boss of stage 6 - after the strings of enemies pouring in from different sides of the screen at once, a few seconds pause, and then enemies come at you from 360 degrees simultaneously, and you have to bomb to survive.  always at that point, a second after you bomb.

hermosaguy

I have the Pink Sweets crash happen sometimes on my board.  It happens in the clouds near the end of the level when the enemies come from all 360 and hone in on you.  I usually can make it through if I bomb in time, but if i get hit the game locks up...does anyone have any idea to whom I can send it to so it can be fixed?

Sperrfeuer

QuoteMuchi Muchi Pork - in game freeze bug (not very clear on this one)

i had it once after the 2nd mid boss...the whole screen was green/yellow IIRC and no sound

EOJ

I had the music cut out after the stage 3 midboss once. The sound effects worked, though, but no music for the rest of the stage (when stage 4 started, the music came back). Same thing happened to me once in Pink Sweets. Never had either game actually freeze up on me, though (thankfully).
My score archive

drboom

I had the music drop out of the boss battle at the end of stage 2 in Espgaluda (I, not II) on me once. It's never happend again. I assume it was just a fluke, but thought I'd post about it anyways.

Jmz

QuoteThe Ketsui bug is easily fixed by burning a new EPROM.

rtw
Isnt Ketsui?s game rom protected?

I got my Ketsui today and it has at least two bugs :( , it freesed at start of demonstration the first times I booted it and it went nuts when the demonstration bug starts after ~3 demonstration rounds without playing.

A fix for this would be nice, but I wont be able to fix it myself :(

rtw

QuoteThe Ketsui bug is easily fixed by burning a new EPROM.

rtw

Isnt KetsuiĀ“s game rom protected?

I got my Ketsui today and it has at least two bugs :( , it freesed at start of demonstration the first times I booted it and it went nuts when the demonstration bug starts after ~3 demonstration rounds without playing.

A fix for this would be nice, but I wont be able to fix it myself :(

Contact peap at arkadtorget.se, tell him I sent you :D

rtw

Jmz

thanks, consider it done ;)

I was quite devastated when I booted the game for the first time to watch demonstration and it hung :( (it happened everytime I booted the PCB, did this several times)

picture of it:
http://static.pici.se/pictures/APugNsWJw.jpg

But then I started to play and afterwards it doesnt hang anymore when in demonstration :) not even if it has been shutdown.

rtw

Quotethanks, consider it done ;)

I was quite devastated when I booted the game for the first time to watch demonstration and it hung :( (it happened everytime I booted the PCB, did this several times)

picture of it:
http://static.pici.se/pictures/APugNsWJw.jpg

But then I started to play and afterwards it doesnt hang anymore when in demonstration :) not even if it has been shutdown.

Here is my initial investigation:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=9528

It will hang in a short while again, your battery is discharged and the PCB cannot keep it's parameters.

BTW what is your nick on arkadtorget Jmz ?

rtw

Jmz

hehe yepp thats me (on AT..)

nice thread to, alot of good info! read it all.

rtw

Quotehehe yepp thats me (on AT..)

nice thread to, alot of good info! read it all.

Sorry I didn't find your nick on AT,  Jmz is not found.

rtw

lowemark

rtw

Quotehis nickname on AT is Jamz.   :)

Thanks lowemark :D

rtw

Jmz

Thanks to peap I'll have a EPROM chip for Ketsui in ~2 days :)
Hope it?ll not be to hard to "install".

And thanks to rtw too ofc!!  :oops:

battle gregor

ack got muchi pork on saturday ..must have triggered the freeze on stage 2 about 6 times that day.. on sunday i didn't trigger it once.. the music keeps playing but the screen is just a rainbowish mix of colours..reset and all works fine!!

rtw

Quote from: battle gregorack got muchi pork on saturday ..must have triggered the freeze on stage 2 about 6 times that day..
What is the "freeze bug" on stage 2 in MMP ?

battle gregor, what does your version screen say ? The one at the start of the game where
you get "This game is for use in Japan...". At the bottom of this screen you can
see the version. For my MMP it is:

"2007/ 4/17 MASTER VER."

Do you have the period at the end on your PCB ?

rtw

battle gregor

it seems random but it mostly happens on level 2(at different places tho :rolleyes: ).. the game freezes and your left with a jumble of colours on the screen and the music keeps playing

i'll have a look for you tonight.. i'll try and take a pic of the bug as well.. it happened on level 3 last night for the first time as well .. :mad: i switched my cab off and on too quick and it erased my scores as well :shock: strangely enough tho it didn't mess with my settings tho because i have my board set up to got to the game over screen and that setting was the same when i checked in the dips!

EOJ

That sounds pretty bad, battle gregor. :/ I've played my PCB for countless hours over many months, and have never experienced any bugs, so it leads me to believe mine is a fixed version. Will have to wait and see what your master version string is in order to confirm, however.
My score archive

battle gregor

yeah it's pretty annoying.. it seems to happen when you use your lard attack when the screen is filled with enemies. it shudders then gives up the ghost :laugh: sometiems you see it shudder but it doesn't do it tho.

anyways heres the pics

BUG!

OPENING SCREEN

Sperrfeuer

MAYBE it has something to do with the PSU Voltage.....check it if you can... in my cab i had 4.95V and i had the same bug (once). A few weeks later i checked the voltages in all my cabs and adjusted it to ~5.05V after this i never had the bug again, but as said i'm not sure if it has something to do with it......

battle gregor

i'll try mate it does seem to be happening pretty often ... never adjusted my power supply before .. do i need a  multimeter or can i just adjust without one???

i could always try an extended session on the supergun and see if it does it on that as well..