What is the allure of Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.0?

Started by EOJ, April 20, 2018, 12:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

I'm quite interested as to why so many people are interesting in buying (and hopefully playing) Daifukkatsu 1.0. I've seen this on several forums lately. I have never played it myself, and I'm not a huge fan of Daifukkatsu 1.5, though I did own that PCB in the past and played it intensively. But with 1.0, you can counterstop before the second loop even starts, so I could never be very interested in playing such a game. I'm not aware of any Japanese players who take 1.0 seriously.

So, is it the rarity? The lack of autobomb? Something else I'm missing?

Share your thoughts!
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Monouchi

I´m a huge fan of DFK 1.0 and have it at second place of my all time favourite shmups.
I play it very often as its almost always stuck in one of my cabs.

I really like the presentation and game design of Daifukkatsu but the Autobomb killed it for me in 1.5.
(Autobomb is a different topic but I cant stand it in DFK, AK, SDOJ...)
Then one day Limpan told me that 1.0 didnt have the autobomb and after that I just had to get a pcb.

I dont play for score but saying that the counter stop breaks it is not valid for me when we have counter stops in Guwange and overflow bug in SDOJ.
I also dont know or have seen that many people manage to get the counterstop.
The safe spots on Hibachi is for me something expert players can complain on, for us normals just getting to Hibachi and then be able to get to and stay in the safe spot is no easy task.
(I´m still struggling at 2-4.)

If playing for survival then 1.0 is very accessable and i would say even easier than 1.5 to 1cc cos of the Bomb stock refill.
With the Hyper recharge trick you can practically bomb your way through the whole game. (Im curious to know why Cave added the Autobomb instead?)
Still, if you want to play for score then you dont want to bomb and all those Bomb restocks becomes obsolete.

The sheer joy in 1.0 for me is hunting that 2-ALL, and what a awesome hunt that is.
You have the DFK design with the risk/reward system of countering lasers or using the spread, strategically collect bees to refill the hyper gauge, tons of bombs that makes you feel really powerful and that can quickly recharge your Hyper, no wimpy autobomb......if you get hit you die.
Getting that Ura warp to show up is one of my fave moments in shmups.
Then the final and most awesome part is the bullet packed Omote loop (The Omote loop was nerfed in 1.5)
....it starts with all black background and then real bullet hell begins, with some carefully planned routes with the Hyper recharge trick the second loop becomes quite manageable and incredible fun imo, there is even an extra 1Up to be had in stage 2-3.  :righton:

I even prefer 1.0 over BL as i think BL destroyed the main design idea of DFK (I would rather say its a different game.), but that is another topic.

Here is a 1.0 2-ALL run using the Hyper recharge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74xllim9ofY&t=1296s

EOJ

Quote from: Monouchi on April 20, 2018, 03:21:58 AM

I dont play for score but saying that the counter stop breaks it is not valid for me when we have counter stops in Guwange and overflow bug in SDOJ.

I don't think those are apt comparisons. In DFK 1.0, if you do the counterstop (just by regular chaining) by the end of Stage 5, you have a whole loop to go through where score means *nothing*. That's quite unparalleled in all Cave gaming (unless I'm forgetting something), and why they immediately set out to fix it and get rid of 1.0 from all arcades (which they did, pretty quickly).

It's nice to hear the core game is fun. And I can understand it must be a fun challenge to get a 2-ALL. It's a shame they didn't offer an autobomb on/off select for 1.5!
My score archive

Monouchi

That was just my opinion as I dont play for score.  :)
If I would play for score then I wouldnt play games that have broken score systems(Counter stops,overflow etc), but maybe thats just me.
On the other hand I think its really exciting watching those scores go up and up in games like ex Garegga where the scoring works.

BL is cool with music and all but to be able to just hold down spread and laser and then be safe from the laser-counter design that Vanilla has kinda broke it for me. I think that is one of the coolest game design ideas that DFK has.
One day I will prolly get back to BL and look at it as a different game, cos being in red-mode is fun.

Edit:
1.5 with a autobomb on/off select would really be something, then it would be no full Bomb refills or autobombs and I think the difficulty level would be closer to pachi game.

EOJ

Quote from: Monouchi on April 20, 2018, 03:39:22 AM
If I would play for score then I wouldnt play games that have broken score systems(Counter stops,overflow etc), but maybe thats just me.

Interesting opinion!

If a game is really broken in regard to scoring, like the arcade version of Mushihimesama Matsuri 1.5 (where you can counterstop in Stage 3), then I think I would not enjoy playing it. But if the counterstop comes toward the end of the game I don't mind. I just think of it as a fun milestone to achieve. I've never done a counterstop in a Cave game, but the top scorers have and it doesn't seem to put them off from playing the games.

Speaking of counterstops, ever since I saw Espgaluda 2 scores go over 1 billion I've been amazed the game did not counterstop at 999,999,999. I mean, the scores that go over that just barely do, and it took years for scorers to get to that point. It would have been very understandable for Cave to not think anyone would exceed 999,999,999.

My score archive

Monouchi

Quote from: EOJ on April 20, 2018, 03:52:09 AM
I've never done a counterstop in a Cave game, but the top scorers have and it doesn't seem to put them off from playing the games.

I have high respects for high score players and players making it to the counterstop but for me it just means that there is a cap to the score. Reach it and you are done.
I do play one game for score and that also shows me how much time you have to invest in a game going for the high scores, and that means I would miss out on time spent on learning other games.
Just hunting 1ccs (And at least learning the scoring to get those extends) has showed me the beauty of many games. For example one of my favourite scoring systems in a Cave game is AK, I could really see myself going for serious score play in that game, its sooo satisfying seeing those Golds circling the plane.  :righton:

Muchi Muchi Spork

Edit: I've looked more into the hyper refill trick, I haven't tested differences in 1.0 to 1.5 much yet, just testing in 1.5 right now. But it seems that it isn't a Bomb Mode thing as I thought before. All the modes can use it. But the way it works is some enemy "pieces" work with it really well where you get that rapid refill effect, and some other pieces do jack squat for it. So it's a matter of you have to memorize which enemy pieces are the right ones to bomb+hover over. I kind of wish it worked the same on all of them.