M2's next PS4 port - what will it be?

Started by EOJ, May 25, 2018, 09:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

M2 have already announced they are working on porting another Cave game to the PS4 for their Shottriggers series, which will come out after Ketsui. What do you think it will be?

I think the game with the best chance is Esp.Ra.De. Esp.Ra.De is set in 2018, and was released in 1998, so it would be easy to market it as a 20th anniversary release.

Ibara (+ Kuro) is my greatest wish, though I am more doubtful they would go with an SH3 release right now. Maybe a Donpachi/Dodonpachi release would be more likely first?

Another good possibility is a PGM-based game (Espgaluda or Daioujou).
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

supabok

I'm gonna go with Esprade for the reasons you noted above.

Although my heart will always be for an Ibara/Kuro release which I've been waiting years for!

pmp

Esperade isn't unreasonable after Dangun. My guess, if it's possible, would be Dodonpachi with Blue Label. Even if the original source is lost, they could probably approximate it well enough in an arrange mode to satisfy anyone who wanted to try it.

SuperPang

Esprade having not been ported should be an obvious choice but then I was surprised when they announced Ketsui so never underestimate popularity over rarity. They chose Garegga over Batrider too.

There was an interesting question in their Stunfest poll about a couple of franchises. One was Aleste, I forget the other. Possible future Shottriggers or maybe even sequels on Exa.

pmp

So apparently the home use rights to Esprade belong to Atlus. There was a similar arrangement with Guwange, and it got an XBLA release so hopefully M2 is able to work it out.

Monouchi

It would be fun for Esprade to finally get a port, that game needs more appreciation for its awesome art and gameplay. (Music too.)

Joe T.

Esprade is probably a pretty good guess if we're talking strictly about Cave games since they don't own the rights to it as far as I know(Atlas does?). I have also heard rumors of some older Toaplan shooters in the works.

EOJ

According to this interview with M2 at Stunfest, they definitely are not working on porting Ibara or Kuro yet, but they said they would get the rights and do it if there is enough demand (so write to M2 and let them know!).
My score archive

EOJ

Now, I actually think a very good possibility is Saidaioujou. The X360 port gets flak for some added input lag, therefore a new port could rectify this defect. Also, a home version with the original graphics (+ M2 scanlines, etc) has never been made available before. And like Ketsui, it is a very popular game, so it would sell better than most other Cave games.
My score archive

pmp

I would bet on DOJ or DDP over SDOJ. Who would really want the original arcade version when the 360 port, with all its extras, already exists and is mostly accurate from what I have heard.

Muchi Muchi Spork

Quote from: pmp on May 26, 2018, 01:57:14 PM
Esperade isn't unreasonable after Dangun. My guess, if it's possible, would be Dodonpachi with Blue Label. Even if the original source is lost, they could probably approximate it well enough in an arrange mode to satisfy anyone who wanted to try it.

I'm sure the board owner(s) would let Cave dump their board, even if they won't let anyone else have it. It wouldn't be source code but it would be usable and original. If they do a remake then we still don't have the game.

EOJ

A recent survey found ESP.Ra.De to be the most wanted arcade port (to current gen hardware):

http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/kikakuthetower/180830

There's a long interview with M2 in that link as well. And M2 have retweeted the results of the survey. Horii says they have over 10 titles emulated that are not planned for any release yet (apparently they just do this in their free time), and some are on that survey list, but they can't say which ones. Later in the interview he lets slip that they have Batrider completely emulated/ported, all they would have to do is add an arrange mode. It seems like that will be a Shottriggers release in the next year or so.

Since ESP.Ra.De is #1 on the list, they said they will try and get the rights to port it. But they note Atlus owns the rights, not Cave, so they have to ask Atlus and hope they say "OK". But it all depends on that.

Progear is #3 on the list, by the way. No Ibara or Ibara Kuro on there.  :-\
My score archive

Joe T.

As far as Cave games go, from what I've heard from some people "in the know" (not like I'm connected to this industry at all, so please take this as rumor only), Esprade is the most likely Cave game to get ported. It won't be next though. What I'm hearing is that the next Shot triggers port is going to be a late 80's Toaplan game. I've also heard some speculation about a return of Toaplan in some manifestation to making arcade games. Again, all rumors I've heard from some friends, who have more knowledgeable friends.

EOJ

Well it all depends on Atlus providing the rights (which they have not yet done), as I mentioned in the post above yours. Other than that M2 is ready to go on it.

I wonder what Cave game M2 were talking about (see first post in this thread) working on to be released after Ketsui. It doesn't sound like ESP.Ra.De because they don't have the rights for that yet.
My score archive

ookitarepanda

ESPRa.De would be great if they could get it out within 3 months... After all, AD 2018 Tokyo is right on the title screen.

EOJ

Here's an interesting recent interview with M2:

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1153397.html

They say they were approached by Cave in 2017 (about 1-2 weeks before a Cave Matsuri) and asked if they would consider porting Ketsui, Deathsmiles, or another one of their games. They decided to do Ketsui. However, the overt mention of Deathsmiles in this interview (with no mention of the "other" games) may indicate that is their next PS4 port. Just a hunch.
My score archive

Monouchi

Interesting info.

Deathsmiles is a good choice, its got things for everyone and has a nice scoring game.
Ive started to dig into DSMBL and that game is a really polished gem over vanilla, so much fun and options.

EOJ

Deathsmiles is their best-selling game ever, so from a business standpoint a port would be a great idea. Add in the as-yet unported Cave Matsuri DIE version (with Rank 99) and you've got a big seller on your hands.

I also really like DSMBL now. It is an incredibly difficult and complex game when it comes to scoring, but I like and respect that aspect of it more now than I did 10 years ago. If M2 could port this with better slowdown emulation than Cave gave us, that would be fantastic. It's one of the few games that I really enjoy playing on the PCB but can't stand playing the port.
My score archive

Monouchi

Agree to that, it was very different playing it on pcb.

EOJ

Here's another interesting tidbit from the M2 interview. They say that before they decided on Ketsui, Cave recommended they consider porting Ibara. M2 thought about it, but because someone on M2's team was actually involved in the making of Ibara (a guy named Fuyuno who works as an illustrator/designer. I don't know what he did on Ibara exactly), he did not want to go back to it so soon, thinking a different game (like Ketsui) would be more exciting to work on. The fact they are talking about it in the interview, I hope, implies it's something coming down the road.
My score archive

EOJ

The plot thickens!

M2's next PS4 port may be Guwange. It was hinted at by M2 recently (see this tweet), and next year is its 20th anniversary.
My score archive

SuperPang

EOJ

Odd indeed. Not sure what the game will be really, no guarantee it is Guwange. They said their next game is basically vertical but has "horizontal and diagonal parts".
My score archive

EOJ

My score archive

EOJ

Quote from: EOJ on November 16, 2018, 03:47:31 AM
The plot thickens!

M2's next PS4 port may be Guwange. It was hinted at by M2 recently (see this tweet), and next year is its 20th anniversary.

It seems the hints the developers were giving were in fact in reference to Aleste, not Guwange.
My score archive