General tips for CAVE games?

Started by wasilewski, July 28, 2018, 10:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasilewski

I found the guide " The Full Extent Of The Jam" to be very helpful but I still have a lot of work to do in order to get what I would call anywhere that's good at STGs, in particular CAVE games, which are my favourite.

Aside from the tips in The Full Extent Of The Jam, is there anything else that will help me become a better player? 

The only I have noticed is that I would sometimes die at the very edge of the screen. 

I could upload a video of me playing something, although I can't record sounds.

Muchi Muchi Spork

I haven't read that but I would say besides practicing over and over and over the most important things are reducing lag in every way you can. So pcb with supergun and crt monitor with arcade stick by seimitsu designed to have the shortest throw and sitting close to the monitor is the ideal situation (or playing on an ideal old crt based arcade cabinet if you can afford and have space for it). With that I've cleared virtually every Cave game. With a laggy home videogame setup and a gamepad I would have cleared jack squat.

wasilewski

Quote from: Muchi Muchi Spork on July 28, 2018, 01:05:26 PM
I haven't read that but I would say besides practicing over and over and over the most important things are reducing lag in every way you can. So pcb with supergun and crt monitor with arcade stick by seimitsu designed to have the shortest throw and sitting close to the monitor is the ideal situation (or playing on an ideal old crt based arcade cabinet if you can afford and have space for it). With that I've cleared virtually every Cave game. With a laggy home videogame setup and a gamepad I would have cleared jack squat.

Thanks again for the reply.  Unfortunately I don't have the room for a proper arcade set up haha!  I would love one though.  I just play via MAME on my Mac. 

Monouchi

The Full extent of the Jam is good for starting to learn basic stuff, like bullet herding etc.

Its also important to stick with one game to learn its patterns and system.
All Cave games are different and gives you practice in different ways.
For example EspRaDe has quite basic patterns and is a good practice for reaction dodging, Ketsui has very organic patterns good for practicing to see pattern movement, Dangun feveron has extremely fast bullets and so on.

wasilewski

Quote from: Monouchi on August 02, 2018, 09:51:26 AM
The Full extent of the Jam is good for starting to learn basic stuff, like bullet herding etc.

Its also important to stick with one game to learn its patterns and system.
All Cave games are different and gives you practice in different ways.
For example EspRaDe has quite basic patterns and is a good practice for reaction dodging, Ketsui has very organic patterns good for practicing to see pattern movement, Dangun feveron has extremely fast bullets and so on.

Thanks Monouchi. 

What do you think is the "easiest" Cave game?

Monouchi

It depends if you just want the 1cc or if you want to score high.
Imo the easiest Cave 1cc is Deathsmiles if you take the easy route.
AK with Type-C is also a very easy 1cc and it also has a great scoring system that is easy to learn.