Author Topic: SDOJ in MAME - not likely any time soon  (Read 277 times)

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Ultra Member
SDOJ in MAME - not likely any time soon
« on: December 23, 2019, 09:15:18 PM »
My score archive
twitter: cavexstg
XBL gamertag: eojx9999

Offline peg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Maniac Member
Re: SDOJ in MAME - not likely any time soon
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 02:21:27 AM »
So it involves desoldering the ROM chip?  Yikes, no wonder this and others (Mushi Matsuri and Akai Limited) haven't been dumped.  If SDOJ isn't dumped, surely those other 2 never will be either.  What the hell are all those ports on the PCB used for?  Surely one of those could be used to read the ROM instead of having to desolder chips?  I guess not.

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 02:24:42 AM »
I don't think CAVE wants anyone dumping the ROMs or other things on these PCBs. They did a good job of making it difficult, at least.

I have heard Mushi Matsuri and AK LE have been dumped, but the ROMs aren't publicly available (and may never be).
My score archive

Offline el_rika

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Novice Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 03:21:24 PM »
Matsuri Mushi and AK LE are rare PCBs. Sdoj is not. If the existing Sdoj dump(s) will not be released, sooner or later a PCB will fall into the right hands.
If Cave would release a new shmup tomorrow, i bet that inside a month we would see a Sdoj dump. It's an ego thing, nothing more.

Were CPS3 boards easier or harder to dump?..just a curiosity. I clearly remember Guru stating that a CPS3 dump will never happend.

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 06:38:16 PM »
You're right, SDOJ is not that rare (350 made). However, it is extremely expensive (current rate on the low end is 500,000 yen, or $4500 USD), and I know I would be very nervous to have someone desoldering chips on such a pricey board I owned. You can ruin the board if you aren't careful, and then that's $4500 down the drain.

There is also a port of the game, so it's not like you can't already play it for an affordable amount (unlike AK LE).

I think you are right that eventually it will turn up in MAME. Best chance for this is to crowd fund the purchase of a PCB ($5 per person from 900-1000 people should do it), then dump that. No one would be worried if the board broke because the most anyone spent on it was five bucks.
My score archive

Offline OlDirty

• Maniac Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 02:10:23 PM »
I was wondering why SDOJ is still not available in MAME. Thanks for that link. If somebody has a dump why not share it for gods sake? They are afraid of loosing money if a MAME version is available? NEO GEO multi and CPS2 multicards exist, do the original games lost value? I don't think so.. SDOJ is also a PCB i'm missing in my Cave collection, but i play it on the xbox connected to my Egret2.
Funding that game with several people would be a really a nice idea. I would be in with 100$ for sure. So no one would loose a huge amount of money if something should go wrong.

Offline Queen Charlene

• aspiring STG diva
  • Maniac Member
  • she/her | they/them
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 02:53:14 PM »
i would absolutely contribute to a board collection/rom dumping fund! i've grown a fondness for game archival that i think also feeds into my current love for STGs, and anything that helps preserve history is something i want to be involved in. ^-^
❤️ trans girl dangerous ~ | twitch | game dev | my scores!

Offline OlDirty

• Maniac Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 04:08:01 PM »
To make things easier there would be also another way to get the dump done. Lets find a few people willing to throw 500$ /each in a pot ( i would be one of them). Buying a PCB with that money. Send it to a good dumper. Have it dumped and the dumper sells the PCB again. The dumper keeps 10% of the selling price and pays the rest back in equal parts back to the guys which spent 500$. So the dumper has something for his work and the guys which spent the money didn't loose much. Of course if the dumping process was succesfull.

Offline el_rika

• Novice Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 03:26:17 PM »
The dumper keeps 10% of the selling price and pays the rest back in equal parts back to the guys which spent 500$. So the dumper has something for his work and the guys which spent the money didn't loose much.

The dumper would not do it for the money, that you can be sure. As already stated by Haze, the only reason Sdoj is not dumped to public, is the difficulty of aquiring the PCB (at a decent price) by the able & willing party.

Offline OlDirty

• Maniac Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 02:52:52 AM »
Why the dumper wouldn‘t dump it for that money? Is it too much work? Sorry i have no idea of the dumping process. I thought the bigger problem is buying a PCB,but that wouldn‘t  be the dumpers problem.

Offline el_rika

• Novice Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 03:44:09 AM »
I probably phrased it wrong. The dumper affiliated with Haze will do it, but not for money.
When the first batch of the cv1000 games were dumped, it happened quite fast, one after the other, so i guess there is nothing particulary difficult in the dumping process, though there's that small risk involved that something could get fried.
Had Sdoj been released some 2 years prior, it would've been dumped along with the rest.