Author Topic: Would you keep your PCBs if...  (Read 128 times)

Offline OlDirty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Maniac Member
Would you keep your PCBs if...
« on: January 21, 2020, 03:26:49 PM »
a multicard would exist. I'm talking about multicards like the ones for NEOGEO of CPS II. So multicards which let you play the games in 100% original quality. The thing is i'm always wondering why people spend thousands of dollars for example Neo Geo AES games. Whats the sense if you can have it as a multicard and don't notice any difference in gameplay sound and graphics? Is it something emotional? I would really like to understand why people are doing this. I would for sure sell my games and spend my money in a better way than in software. What would you do and why?
PS: is it a heretical question?

Offline Queen Charlene

• aspiring STG diva
  • Maniac Member
  • she/her | they/them
Re: Would you keep your PCBs if...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 04:37:59 PM »
IMO, it's definitely more for the sake of preservation than feasibility. it's a collector's item as well as a piece of history.

it's kind of like why you might own a thousand-dollar vintage '60s Fender that's out of production instead of just buying a more common mass-produced Fender that does the same thing and is more sturdy.
❤️ trans girl dangerous ~ | twitch | game dev | my scores!

Offline OlDirty

• Maniac Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 05:11:26 PM »
I understand that with cars because it'll be never the same when you drive the car. For sure you notice other stearing, motor sound, suspension etc, but for software which is running on original hardware just as a mulitcard i don't get it.

Offline brentsg

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 01:11:16 PM »
You could pose this question on any forum that deals with something that can be owned or collected.

Why own an original piece of artwork if you could grab a print?  And that's not even a great analogy because at least the artist should get royalties from the print.