Author Topic: Gradually increasing or decreasing quality in a game  (Read 1308 times)

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Ultra Member
Gradually increasing or decreasing quality in a game
« on: July 24, 2008, 01:56:08 PM »
I'm talking about the quality of the stages as you progress through a run in the game, not the overall game experience.

Games that gradually decrease in quality (and fizzle out towards the end):

-Ibara (Kuro). It starts strong (the first 3 stages are awesome), but after stage 4 it starts to fizzle, and the last stage isn't too exciting. Pretty good final boss fight, though.
-MMP. It starts strong and continues until stage 4, but its Stage 5 is long and dull (boring last boss too).
-Espgaluda 2. This game is one stage too long IMO, so towards the end it gets tedious. Last boss fight is way too long as well.

Games that gradually increase in quality (start off weak but get great in the later stages):
-Pink Sweets. It starts off pretty weak for the first 2-3 stages, but from Stage 4 until the end, the game is awesome.

Games that are solid from start to finish:
-Dodonpachi
-Mushihimesama
-Mushihimesama futari (all 3 versions)
-Deathsmiles

Any others? Different opinions? I didn't include looping games here as I haven't really experienced the loops in any of them, but feel free to chime in with opinions on those.
My score archive
twitter: cavexstg
XBL gamertag: eojx9999

Gwyrgyn

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Gradually increasing or decreasing quality in a game
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »
-Espgaluda 2. This game is one stage too long IMO, so towards the end it gets tedious. Last boss fight is way too long as well.

I'm inclined to agree the game is too long, but I like all of the stages including the last one. Last stage could probably just stand to be about half as long, especially the Alice clone section which really does drag forever when you Zeshikai the whole thing. That, and I really don't like the final boss at all. Bad music and it's not very nice looking.

And I disagree about Mushihime-sama actually. I think the first stage is notoriously boring and pointless, as there's nothing going on scoring wise on either Original or Maniac modes in it and the stage is just easy as hell. All of the other stages I do like though.

I think regular Ibara is solid all the way through, although Stage 4 is definitely a weak point. The boss in particular takes FOREVER, especially in Arrange mode where you have to suicide ~5-6 times and constantly wait through patterns without shooting or anything.

And Ketsui is pretty much good the whole way through too, although I think the normal final boss is really pretty lame and easy and I don't like his music.

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »
Okay, I think you're right with Mushi's stage 1. It's pretty good in Ultra, but very weak in Original and pretty mediocre in Maniac.
My score archive

jpj

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 08:13:52 PM »
i would say ketsui and doj are pretty shit hot all the way through.  okay, so the first stages aren't gonna fuck you up, be it rarely feels tedious   :righton:

i would ask you though EOJ, have you ever reached the 2nd loop of any of cave's 2-loop games?  your first forray into any of the 2nd-loopz (bar DP and DDP) is the quickest 'awesome -> WTF!?'  ever.  especially DOJ in my opinion.  people tend to think black label isn't really worth getting, but wait until you have to start attacking the 2nd loop starting with only 1 life...   :'(

espgaluda is another one that feels solid to me.  while futari feels a bit low in the middle (stages 3 and 4) before picking up at the end.  i don't feel any heat from DDP until quite a way in, and the first stage or two of DP are enough to put me in a coma  =D

edit: coolest avatar so far  ;)

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 08:49:38 PM »
i would ask you though EOJ, have you ever reached the 2nd loop of any of cave's 2-loop games? 

Just Pink Sweets.

edit: coolest avatar so far  ;)

Thanks. It's one of my all-time favorite boss patterns in a game.
My score archive

Offline GaijinPunch

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 09:33:31 PM »
I love Galuda Stage 6 other than it being too long.  The Asagi Clone part (it's not Alice Clone, Gwyrgyn) is a great homage to where the series came from, and pretty cool.  Cave slow down at it's finest. I think maybe 1 midboss (something a bit more character driven) and a snip at the first would've made it better, but hey, I can't complain.  It's much more personable than Futari Stage 5. 

With that being said, I kind of miss the days of a full stage 5 with a teaser for stage 6.  It seems the long final stage is the wave of the future though.

The difficulty curve in Death Smiles is all whack if you consider 4-2 a stage all on it's own.  At full rank w/ the Canyon, it (4-2) is still a joke even compared to the easier parts of 4-1 (and most of the Canyon).  It's fun, although a bit anti climactic (with stupid music).

PROMETHEUS

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »
I never noticed a decrease in quality in a Cave game. Always thought they worked just as hard on each stage to make them all as cool as possible.

freddiebamboo

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 09:02:56 PM »
Galuda is awesome up until you hit stage 5 and then it all feels like a bit of a let down after the highs of stage 3 & 4.  The last boss has far too many forms that are over long and non-threatening to boot.

Dangun Feveron just gets better the further into the game you go, but it does have probably the most boring stage 1 (bar mushi obviously) of any cave game, so it was only going to get better.

jaycm1

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »
I think mushi's level 1 original mode is good,great acition and very big boss.I think the first level and half in guwange are quite slow and then when that sea eel pops up half way through level 2 the difficulty suddenly goes rock hard :lol: