Ketsui DS (w/ superplay DVD)

Started by EOJ, December 11, 2007, 03:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiken

Quote from: zakk on November 11, 2008, 08:32:01 AM
There are no boss names referenced in the arcade; but the book that came with the INH DVD has names for all the bosses and midbosses. They're all in katakana, but from my stumbling around with them it looks like they are the same names as used in Death Label. Someone that actually knows japanese might want to confirm that, though.

They're the same.  Also, this.

Shalashaska

Just got this and wow.....Extra kicks my ass hard. :laugh: It's fun though and works much better than I thought it would (as many of you have said). So far the only thing I don't care for is how some of the patterns literally appear RIGHT in front of your ship (mostly in Death Label) due to the small screen. That and I wish I could understand the ask Ikeda section.

rtw

After playing the DS version I installed Ketsui in my cab last night. All those boss fights have improved my performance in the real game :righton:

Ketsui is truly a fantastic game :D

rtw
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

FrederikJurk

Quote from: rtw on November 13, 2008, 03:10:22 AM
After playing the DS version I installed Ketsui in my cab last night. All those boss fights have improved my performance in the real game :righton:

Nice to see that theory confirmed, some folks over at shmups.com heavily disagreed with that.  :-*

gsl

Quote from: Kiken on November 11, 2008, 09:22:03 AM
Quote from: zakk on November 11, 2008, 08:32:01 AM
There are no boss names referenced in the arcade; but the book that came with the INH DVD has names for all the bosses and midbosses. They're all in katakana, but from my stumbling around with them it looks like they are the same names as used in Death Label. Someone that actually knows japanese might want to confirm that, though.

They're the same.  Also, this.

I never thought to look on the official website for the names of the various bosses for the arcade version, or at least I never thought there'd be English names posted.  I have an almost dyslexic tendency to misread katakana at times and wondered for the longest time what the hell kind of boss name  "Evacnia" was.  Sounded like some sort of vampire or something.

EOJ

This game sold another 1900 copies last week, bring its total as of Nov 8th to 10,209 (according to vgchartz.com). That's double the amount Raiden IV or RFA have sold. Looks like there's more money in DS boss rush games than full arcade ports to home consoles, as far as shmups go these days.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

adverse

Says a lot about Raiden ports, not so much about CAVE ports IMO.

EOJ

Well, we'll see. The last CAVE port (Ibara PS2) only sold about 4000 copies.
My score archive

FrederikJurk

Hahaha, what?  :o

So, I?m not really sure how things work in the porting business, but the way I understand is that Arika bought the rights to Ketsui back then, tried to port it to the PS2, failed to make a perfect recreation and used their license for this game, right? So who do you think would make the first move to make more portable Cave shmups - Arika or Cave? Aside from further boss-rush games, I think a portable Death Smiles would make perfect sense, as it?s more suitable for the screen format, is very accessible and has a theme that will draw many newcomers in for sure. Or maybe even an original game...

Any theories on why this game sells so well? I?m pretty sure it isn?t just the DVD  :rolleyes: I used to think that it has something to do with the Ketsui title, but then again, handheld games (and systems) sell like crazy in general these days.

SuperPang

Number of DS owners VS 360 owners?

FrederikJurk

Yeah, but that doesn?t explain why it sold more than twice as much as the Ibara port.

battle gregor

mebbes cos ketsui was relatively popular in the arcades but ibara was a flop

FrederikJurk

But are port sales really that directly tied to the games popularity in the arcades? I read somewhere that many players decide whether or not to focus on the game in question after a couple of credits, and Ibara had a very different style from other Cave games, which I imagine might have repelled a lot of Cave fans instantly. However, you only pay once for a port and can play it as long as you want, and I imagine japanese shmup enthusiasts to be at least interested enough in the genre to shell out for the port once to get a closer look at the game at home.

Or maybe I?m totally off here, I don?t know  ???

jpj

Quote from: EOJ on November 14, 2008, 02:33:35 AMLooks like there's more money in DS boss rush games than full arcade ports to home consoles, as far as shmups go these days.

normally i'd see that as bad, but luckily japanese publishers don't have the best business sense   =D

charlienash87

I just noticed that your multiplier gets punished for both auto bombing, and dying. This makes me think that having auto bomb on might not be worth it at all. If you auto bomb and then die your multiplier takes two hits instead of one :(

Anyone know how to trick vinogradov (boat boss) into not shooting? When I get it down to half bar it stops shooting sometimes.
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

Kaneda

You might have timed it out. If you don't destroy it by a certain point it sails on by and stops firing.

charlienash87

It still has a way to go before leaving the screen when it stops. it does it at different times, and sometimes starts shooting again. when it stops i get to rape it for 5chips, but sometimes get shot point blank.  I know it's not the time out. I think it might be the position of the screen. Maybe if you push the screen up or down to a certain degree.
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

professor ganson

Probably the only thing I don't like about this game is the way you keep getting extra lives.  Not so good if you are interested in scoring to have this unwanted variable.  Otherwise this is more than I could have hoped for.

FrederikJurk

Just max out the lifes once for each mode (leave it running as you watch TV or something and start the mode when you?re game over again until you?ve got 19 lives) and you?re fine. After that it really is a non-issue. Still a weird decision to include this but I?m thankful for it in Death Label  :rolleyes: I haven?t maxed them out on Novice and Normal since I don?t intend to play these for score since these are the modes where the "shot-tapping" comes in, a technique that?s far too risky on later modes, especially Very Hard and Death Label.

I agree that it?s very confusing at first, leading to such twisted reviews like this.

professor ganson

Interesting, thanks!  I assumed that they maxed out at some point, but wasn't sure.

charlienash87

i found a place to bomb for over 1,100 chips. During evacaneers first phase, his third pattern. 1st pattern being the bounce pink crap off the walls at you, 2nd would be the 4 "half ring" shaped things he shoots directly after the 1st pattern. right before the second pattern, start shooting him point blank and the half ring things miss you along with the next pattern and most of the pattern after that =D. stay there and bomb the hell out of him. if you're on death label with four bombs, you get around 4,000 chips :o.

Is that safe spot in the pcb version? I've never seen it taken advantage of in any replays. I doubt i'm the first one to realize this. it's got to be an intentional safe spot. after all, the object of the game is to be a bad ass and shoot things point blank as much as possible :cool:
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

gsl

So I took a look at the Japanese Wiki for the game to try and figure out why I've got this one damned panel on the EVAC Report that refuses to unlock.  It's number 4, which as it turns out requires you to defeat the Seahorse in under 15 seconds.  Has anyone cleared this panel, and if so, how?  I keep running through training mode trying to do it, but I can't seem to figure out how to clear the boss that fast.

EDIT: Nevermind.  It works if you attack the main body and don't bother blowing off the wings.

charlienash87

can someone please explain how to unlock any of the following evac report panels: 20, 60, 96, and 108. I've tried translating them and i still don't understand what the conditions are.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

Plasmo

xax974

hey guys!

New here and 50h of play time on Ketsui DS, i love that game, nice time killer in the metro :) still barely passing the death label though, got an awful 6/143 stat ;p

i also play the cave ps2 port.

charlienash87

shinu ga yoi in Ibara

adverse

EOJ

Yeah, Mihara made a blog post about how they're giving some leftovers they found for Amazon to sell. It's not a reprint, and he's not sure how many exactly will be there, but it's a one time deal. I'm sure they'll all sell out before they ship on August 1st.
My score archive