Main Menu

Know your enemy!

Started by adrenalinq, August 20, 2008, 03:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrenalinq

As you all know this year we got frustrating news that Microsoft rejected Cave arcade games from Live Arcade.
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/03/28/2-of-the-greatest-shmups-rejected-for-xbla-by-ms/
With global and friends-only scoring system xbox360 could become a must-have for all Cave fans. But who is responsible for this crazy rejecting? Now we got a name!

David Edery - Worldwide Games Portfolio Planner for Xbox Live Arcade

Yeah - this is THE MAN who is incompetent enough to call Cave games "faithless arcade ports". The best thing is that he has a blog. I am not asking to decline word "f*ck" in comments but we can comment and mail him to death or force him to reconsider. Maybe someday he will understand that there are a lot of fans and this games must exist with HD graphics as a downloadable content of XBLA.

His blog
http://www.edery.org

Kaede

Perhaps he just realised that releasing these on XBLA would make fuck all money and that all the hardcore shooter fans would just bitch about incorrect resolutions, the shitty 360 pad and lack of TATE anyway?  ???

The percentage of 360 owners in the West that would actually care enough to purchase these ports is tiny.

adrenalinq

I see some good points in your post but:
Quote from: Kaede on August 20, 2008, 05:39:15 AM
the shitty 360 pad and lack of TATE anyway?
You can use Arcade Fighting Stick EX2 by Hori to play. It works perfect with Triggerheart Exelica.

I was looking for a good plasma TV that does not have technical problems with rotation so I could play DoDonPachi and Ketsui on 50" display! And now I feel I am forced to explain my wife why I need to buy another xbox because Japan games are never region free.
QuoteThe percentage of 360 owners in the West that would actually care enough to purchase these ports is tiny.
Yeah, shooter genre is in ass because casuals prefer games that do not take any time to learn to play. But maybe if Cave lineup could be available worldwide without import barrier the genre could revive and get more hardcore fans.

SinHo

I don't know, but my feeling is that there would be a very limited interest from hardcore shooter fans to d/l or play CAVE games with a stick and 50? plasma. Even if they manage to get a 1/1 port with slowdowns and resolutions.

But it just might work to get ppl which today don't know or never played, for example Ketsui to get more interested in the ?real thing?. It can of course give ppl on the shooter scene the opportunity to play games which are hard to find or to expensive.

drboom

Sent a message with some thoughtful and insightful comments, reconciling gaming as an art and explaining how in a global economy diversity and daring pay off over the long term. It'll probably be ignored.

zakk

In ten years when you can still drag the world's last functional X360 out of your closet and  play Ketsui on a disc, you'll wonder why you ever got so up in arms about it not being on XBLA.

SinHo

Quote from: zakk on August 20, 2008, 01:20:27 PM
In ten years when you can still drag the world's last functional X360 out of your closet and  play Ketsui on a disc, you'll wonder why you ever got so up in arms about it not being on XBLA.

... Don't think so... the last functional TV set just broke down ;-)

EOJ

Quote from: adrenalinq on August 20, 2008, 03:26:40 AM

Yeah - this is THE MAN who is incompetent enough to call Cave games "faithless arcade ports".

He called them "faithful" actually. Makes a big difference. Anyway, we talked about this months ago in the Ketsui/DDPDOJBL thread. I'm much happier we're getting Ketsui and DDPDOJBL on regular disc releases. They quality will be higher, and as others have mentioned downloadable games suck for the long term. So it worked out for the best. Just buy a Japanese X360, they're only around $300.

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

jonny5

region locked, downloadable....whatever....just release it so hopefully the price will drop a bit on ketsui PCB's so i can get my hands on one finally.....for less than 2 weeks pay :righton:

EOJ

I don't think this will have much effect on the price of the PCB unless it's a spot-on Arika style port with an option for scanlines to mimic 240p low res. We'll have to wait and see.
My score archive

adrenalinq

Well, yeah, the good new is that two games will be released but what about the others?

I believe that we dont have a chance to see Progears, ESP RaDe, DonPachi and ESP Galuda ported to 360 via retail.

I will quote: "Out initial plan was to port LOTS of good arcade titles to XBLA. We talked to IP holders of these titles, and persuaded them." I would never complain if their plan was just to port Daioujou and Ketsui! Actually I will feel that it is an awesome news. But what about old outstanding shooters?

EOJ

Well, we don't know if they were referring to other CAVE shooters or not (there are a lot of arcade games out there that don't have ports). All those games you mention are in emulation, so at least people can play them if they want. :) There's no need for a Galuda port, there's already a perfect one on the PS2.
My score archive

retre

Quote from: EOJ on August 21, 2008, 02:55:36 AM
Well, we don't know if they were referring to other CAVE shooters or not (there are a lot of arcade games out there that don't have ports). All those games you mention are in emulation, so at least people can play them if they want. :) There's no need for a Galuda port, there's already a perfect one on the PS2.

Right. We need the other titles:   MS Futari, Muchi Muchi Pork, Death Smiles, etc.