what is the best arcade cab for the home?

Started by jaycm1, August 25, 2008, 01:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaycm1

hope you guys can help at the moment i play all my cave games on my supergun which is fine  :-\  im thinking of getting a cab someone is selling egret 2s  in the uk  =D he says its easy to turn the moniter how true is this? the only hori game i have is deathsmiles which i play a lot all my other games are vertical,i have been put off buying a cab in the past as it all sounds very technical,he's selling the cabs at ?650 gbp shipped is that a good price not sure  :righton:

Gwyrgyn

I paid $1200 + shipping for my Egret 2, so that's a good deal. They are easy to rotate but take a little time to do so, so not as convenient to flip as a TV or whatever.

markedkiller78

Quote from: jaycm1 on August 25, 2008, 01:23:43 PM
hope you guys can help at the moment i play all my cave games on my supergun which is fine  :-\  im thinking of getting a cab someone is selling egret 2s  in the uk  =D he says its easy to turn the moniter how true is this? the only hori game i have is deathsmiles which i play a lot all my other games are vertical,i have been put off buying a cab in the past as it all sounds very technical,he's selling the cabs at ?650 gbp shipped is that a good price not sure  :righton:

If you can only have 1 cab I the home (which is more than most :) ) Then the E2 is the best bar none. You can rotate the screen in 15 mins on your own, 10 of which are to remove the bezel thanks to the 8+ screws

The last lot Tone over at KC imported were ?500 ish, but he?s finished importing now :( I paid ?650 for mine 2 years ago + another ?100 in shipping. I don?t see them coming down in price any time soon tbh.

SuperPang

No offence to the guy in question but I'd get some assurances before dealing with a first time importer, such as 1. What happens if unexpected costs arise (VAT, clearence fees, freight forwarding, storage etc all add up), 2. How thoroughly are they tested and 3. How will allocation of the best units work.

jpj

i have been put off buying a cab in the past as it all sounds very technical

i know exactly what you mean.  take into account that any cab you buy is gonna be in used condition, and almost certainly on site for it's tenure.  monitors can have screen burn, parts may need replacing, re-painting, etc etc; as well as the practicality in terms of weight and size.  where would it be going in your home, can you actually fit it through the doorways, etc.

i think candy cabs look really cool, but a lot should be said about the convenience of a supergun as well.

oh... and yeah, egret 2 would probably be a good choice for what you'd be after it for   =D

jonny5

Quote from: markedkiller78 on August 26, 2008, 08:18:09 AM

If you can only have 1 cab I the home (which is more than most :) ) Then the E2 is the best bar none. You can rotate the screen in 15 mins on your own, 10 of which are to remove the bezel thanks to the 8+ screws

it takes 15 mins to rotate an egret 2?  so what is so quick about the 'quick rotate mechanism'?

i can rotate my new astro city's in under 5 mins including rotating the bezel.....by myself.....

just curious.....

markedkiller78

Rotating takes 2 mins tops. Undo 3 screws, then 4 little bolts and turn (with one hand)

The bezel has 8 screws & they are a pain to line up and screw back in :(

KOMA

In fact there is not a 'quick rotate mechanism',there is a safe rotate mechanism for your back.

drboom

Ditto on the rotation on the Astro City. Super easy and they're half the price of Egret 2's, if cost is a factor. Honestly, I can't see why you'd pay double for an Egret 2. Sure, they're pretty nice, but 2x as good as an Astro City?

Gwyrgyn

Yeah it's really more like a no-risk rotate mechanism as you really can't do anything wrong with it. It still takes a while to do just because it takes a while to open the thing up and unscrew and rescrew the bezel. Rotating the monitor itself is extremely quick and easy. Probably not worth the extra cash just for that alone though.

zakk

You can just leave the bezel unscrewed, when you close the thing up, it stays in place due to the way everything sits.

markedkiller78

I've got 2 New Astro's, an E2 & an AWSD.

Although the E2 is more expensive I'd recomment it if it's your only cab, otherwise I'd say get 2 Astro's one Hori, one Vert :)

E2 & astro have the same monitor & both look great, but I've snapped the neck on a monitor before, so believe me when I say the easy rotate, or safe roatate mech, could save you a fortune.

I wouldn't expect to pick up an Astro for ?375 in good confition though. To my knowledge no one plans to import them & I've not seen one for sale in a while.

The 2 I got were in very good nick at ?375, but I took a gamble (I actually bought 2 thinking I could make 1 good unit) I've spent hours cleaning & ?110 in new parts. You would have to wear a balaclava & bring a bat if you thought about taking one of mine for ?375 ;) but then again someone might sell up cheap if you bide your time.