Main Menu

Deathsmiles Xbox 360 port!

Started by EOJ, August 27, 2008, 05:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megalixir

Quote from: Shalashaska on May 10, 2009, 06:43:25 PM
Sure does and holy hell do those bullets move fast when you get your counter up there.  :o

I really need to spend more time with Futari.

GaijinPunch

Quote from: Megalixir on May 10, 2009, 06:40:23 AM
Yeah, but some games have a better way of handling punishment for dying. This isn't one of them.

DOJ, for example. (<3)

That's probably the wost example for punishment you could come up with.  Bomb, Death, or missed timing of a few milliseconds equals the same thing: your score in the shitter.  There's a few of them, but for the most part, if you die, you really trash your score.  Any of the DS variants aren't the worst offenders either.  I'd say Progear rewards perfection the most.

Megalixir

Quote from: GaijinPunch on May 11, 2009, 12:35:35 PM
Quote from: Megalixir on May 10, 2009, 06:40:23 AM
Yeah, but some games have a better way of handling punishment for dying. This isn't one of them.

DOJ, for example. (<3)

That's probably the wost example for punishment you could come up with.  Bomb, Death, or missed timing of a few milliseconds equals the same thing: your score in the shitter.  There's a few of them, but for the most part, if you die, you really trash your score.  Any of the DS variants aren't the worst offenders either.  I'd say Progear rewards perfection the most.

Thing is, the way DOJ's made, if I end up dying I'm still inclined to continue playing for survival. This is providing I don't die or fuck up the first or second stage because oh god I need a perfect first stage and if I don't get it down I'm going to reset until it's done. With DS, moreover 1.1, if I die before the castle I'll end up resetting since it isn't a difficult game and 1ccing it really isn't a priority. Ketsui's the same, but the punishment for bombing and dying is much higher. A game shouldn't encourage you to reset, and especially with PCBs it's usualyl a pain in the ass.

Lunchbox

I know, this can be a little annoying, but could somebody do a brief review of the diferences between the score system of DS (PCB) / xbox360 and 1,1 modes?

No arcades in Spain.

Lunchbox

Uh... thank you Megalixir , i didin't realized of that topic :-[.

So, there are no differences betwen the socre systems of PCB/360 mode?
No arcades in Spain.

EOJ

PCB & X360 mode use the same scoring system. However, due to the different slowdown in X360 mode, it appears that you can't score
as high as you can on the PCB (or in Arcade mode).
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Megalixir

MBL and Premium Theme are now available.

The premium theme has the bath theme as the main background, and on the friends tab it has the bosses and their respective stages mixed in with your friends' avatars. Not really worthwhile unless you have at least 10 friends, else you aren't going to see all the stages. Costs 250 points. Looks like this:

MBL is still downloading. It's 550 MB and 1200 ponts. Can't wait to try out Sakura.

Monouchi

Hm, I cannot find any MBL download.
And when I type in my code from the xbox live card I bought from PA..it says the code isnt valid... ???

Kiken

Quote from: Monouchi on May 12, 2009, 10:54:43 AM
Hm, I cannot find any MBL download.
And when I type in my code from the xbox live card I bought from PA..it says the code isnt valid... ???

Just go to Game Downloads, Browse, Te (or Shooting), scroll down to Death Smiles and voila.

Is the card you got from PA an Asian account card or a Japanese account card (and are you logged in under your Japanese account)?

SuperPang

Log in to your JPN account, pop the disc in and hit Y > Downloads is the easiest way.

KOMA

Ok, MBL is really fun,especially Ice place stage but rank 999 is a pain in the ass,is it Mushi futari Ultra? ^^
I'm not sur how the scoring system works,Sakura is a bit weird to absorb item.

Megalixir

Yeah item don't go directly to her, I guess that's her only downside though?

As for the "power up at 500" achievement, it needs to be done exactly on 500. Might want to update the achievement list. More as they pop up.

EOJ

Not sure what you guys are talking about with Sakura's item aborption - she absorbs items just like every other character in MBL. The suck-in range is different in MBL from regular DS, which may be what you are referring to. You always have to let all crowns drop whether in normal or power up mode, which is a big difference from regular DS and ver 1.1. Sakura's weakness is her weak lock-shot, and her shot is very weak on some bosses.

I've played this a bit (full run in Arcade (2.8bil) and X360 (2.4bil)), and I can't believe it, but Arcade mode is really fucked up in terms of slowdown emulation. While most of the first six stages are OK, the ice palace is ridiculously messed up, it feels like you're playing it in fast forward - slowdown is missing everywhere. Same with the Castle.

Amazingly, X360 mode MBL is far more accurate in the ice palace and the castle. In fact, the ice palace feels nearly exact to the PCB. Slowdown is noticably missing in some parts of the first 6 stages and it's really messed up on the last boss (again, feels like you're playing it in fast forward) though, so it's not perfect overall, but as of right now it seems like X360 mode is the more accurate of the two.

I have to say, after playing regular DS so much over the past couple weeks, and then playing MBL today, I've realized I really prefer regular DS. No contest.
If regular DS had the ice palace instead of the Canyon as its bonus stage, then it would be just about perfect for me. I think MBL is better than ver 1.1, though.

No training mode and no replays for MBL really sucks. I would have gladly paid a bit more for it if they would have included these features.

All in all I'm rather disappointed with the MBL port. Arcade mode is really far from accurate, and while X360 mode is better, it also has problems. Whoever did this port clearly did not spend as much time on it as the programmer(s) did on regular DS.
My score archive

EOJ

Some guys on 2Ch are complaining about rank 999 in X360 mode - apparently slowdown is missing all over the place, and they say some patterns are now nearly impossible. Seems this is better in Arcade mode, but then you have the fucked up ice palace there, so you really can't win with this port.  :mad:  :'(
My score archive

Gwyrgyn

Quote from: EOJ on May 12, 2009, 05:08:34 PM
You always have to let all crowns drop whether in normal or power up mode, which is a big difference from regular DS and ver 1.1.

That statement is kind of oddly worded I think. You still WANT to get the large crowns when in normal mode, you just only get the full vacuum range on skulls.

EOJ

I don't see what's "oddly worded". You get more added to your counter when a gold crown splits into 4 skulls (or a medium crown splits into 2 skulls) in normal mode than if you just suck up the gold crown (or medium crown). Not true in regular DS.
My score archive

Gwyrgyn

I'm pretty sure the item counter increase you get from the larger items is at least equal to if not more than the value you get when they split. Trying to find a vid to prove one way or another but none of them are helpful or encoded in something that VD can view.

Edit: Oh well if I'm reading the wiki right, it says skulls are worth +3 in MBL meaning you get +12 total as opposed to +10 if you get them as gold crowns, so I guess I'm wrong.

EOJ

Quote from: Gwyrgyn on May 12, 2009, 10:32:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the item counter increase you get from the larger items is at least equal to if not more than the value you get when they split. Trying to find a vid to prove one way or another but none of them are helpful or encoded in something that VD can view.

Sorry, that's not the case in MBL. You get 3 per skull, 10 per large gold crown, and 5 per medium crown. So it's always advantageous to let the larger crowns break. This is the only reason why they changed the "suck in" range in MBL.

In regular DS, you only get 1 per skull, so it's never advantageous to let larger crowns break into skulls in Normal mode.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

I think I'm going to hang on to the PCB.  Although 1.1 & MBL are neck and neck.... I like both way better than Arcade.

EOJ

You always go for the games with the big multipliers!   

I love the short, highly technical bursts of scoring in DS. Once you get consistent at the important recharges, it becomes fantastic. MBL and ver 1.1 feel like
a long drag to me now. Cumulative multipliers are not my cup of tea.
My score archive

EOJ

Quick note for those interested: the Chief Programmer for both the DS and DSMBL ports is Toshihiko Sera.
My score archive

EOJ

Just got a 2.98bil ALL clear in MBL (X360 mode MBL) w/ Sakura, going through both EX stages. First time I ever did that (I 1CCd it before, but I only went through the ice palace).  :cool:
My score archive

KOMA

QuoteNot sure what you guys are talking about with Sakura's item aborption - she absorbs items just like every other character in MBL. The suck-in range is different in MBL from regular DS, which may be what you are referring to. You always have to let all crowns drop whether in normal or power up mode, which is a big difference from regular DS and ver 1.1. Sakura's weakness is her weak lock-shot, and her shot is very weak on some bosses.
For exemple.At C-2 with Follet in power mode i use the option to get more skulls at the big rock and the previous rock's spot.My counter goes up fast,with Sakura it doesn't but again,i might be doing something wrong.
I need video!

I try Rank 999 yesterday and is it very impossible to dodge some patterns,i understand the complain about 2 chan if the patterns are not accurate.

Monouchi

Quote from: Kiken on May 12, 2009, 11:20:01 AM
Just go to Game Downloads, Browse, Te (or Shooting), scroll down to Death Smiles and voila.

Is the card you got from PA an Asian account card or a Japanese account card (and are you logged in under your Japanese account)?

Finally, it was alot of hassle cos of my works super-evil firewall.
Now MBL is down and ice-palace is fun.
Even got the wife to play DS.  =D

SuperPang

I have mixed feelings on MBL. I mean, if I'm only going to own one DS kit, sure, this is it. It's nice that you can pretty much play it like DS and enjoy what they've balanced, plus Sakura is great for suicide bullets and the new EX stage is at least as good as the other. On the other hand I can forget about getting anywhere in Rank 999 any time soon. Its a slap in the chops like the Mushi Ultras and leaves me longing for it to have either extra bullets, or suicide bullets, and not both  :laugh: Ver 1.1 on rank 3 sits somewhere in the middle and absorbing bullets has never been so much fun, it completely transforms the gameplay and is probably the best thing about this port, especially if Rank 999 is even harder due to missing slowdown.

EOJ

Whoa, current high score in MBL's Arcade mode leaderboard is 9.9bil w/ Windia. That's really close to the WR. I guess the inaccurate slowdown isn't much of an issue (which is good news). Second place is 7.8bil with Rosa (which is also very impressive).

MBL X360 mode scores aren't even close. Maybe due to rank 999 lacking slowdown there, while it's in Arcade mode?

Seems like while MBL Arcade is lacking slowdown in the ice palace, the slowdown there isn't really necessary, while MBL X360 mode is lacking slowdown in rank 999 levels and the last boss, and it IS necessary there. So in the end, MBL Arcade seems to be the one to go for, if you're interested competing with the scores in the arcade. Personally I find MBL X360 mode to be rather fun (until the last boss), but I don't choose any rank 999 levels when I play.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Played 1.1 again last night.  I'm really digging it. Sue me. :)
I think I'll hang onto my MBL kit.  Seems to be the way to go.
Arcade Mode isn't really doing it for me.  Maybe I'll try outputing 480i
instead of 480p and give it a whirl.

KOMA

How many rank 999 we need to get to ice palace/Ex/Castle with this rank?

EOJ

My score archive