Monthly Competition #7 - DOJ Black Label (September)

Started by jpj, September 01, 2008, 02:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpj

second half of stage 3?  (trying to imagine where you mean)

adverse

Hit 77 mil today.  Won't be happy until I get 100.  Goddamn is stage 4 brutal...

jpj

feeling rusty...  and i'm using sanwa buttons at the moment, gonna have to sort that out...

:-*

kernow

Do you usually use seimitsu parts? Just wondering, I was thinking of getting some shorter throw LS32's but I'd feel anal using sanwa buttons still. Thats OCD for you!

Sorry to off topic a little :)

jpj

no probs mate  :)

usually i use all seimitsu - LS32 joystick and whatever their normal 30mm snap-ins are  (PG-14's?)

when i got my SSFIIX board, i wanted to swap to all sanwa parts, but the JLF/JLW wont fit into my sigma arcade stick.  but i changed the buttons to sanwa anyhow (i don't like the sanwa joystick for shooters, but i think the seimitsu does well for fighters  :) ).  so LS32 + sanwa buttons  =D  (is this what you meant you were thinking of having?)

but i'm not too keen on sanwa buttons for shooters really.  i do have another brand new sigma joystick, so i might just have one for fighters/puzzlers, and one for shooters; but i didn't really want to use it as it's pristine, and i've wrecked my current one - it gets used so often my palm prints have permanently worn into the plastic   :oogle:

also, nice to see you signed up here kern   :righton:

kernow

Quote from: jpj on September 09, 2008, 06:47:24 PM
no probs mate  :)

usually i use all seimitsu - LS32 joystick and whatever their normal 30mm snap-ins are  (PG-14's?)

when i got my SSFIIX board, i wanted to swap to all sanwa parts, but the JLF/JLW wont fit into my sigma arcade stick.  but i changed the buttons to sanwa anyhow (i don't like the sanwa joystick for shooters, but i think the seimitsu does well for fighters  :) ).  so LS32 + sanwa buttons  =D  (is this what you meant you were thinking of having?)

but i'm not too keen on sanwa buttons for shooters really.  i do have another brand new sigma joystick, so i might just have one for fighters/puzzlers, and one for shooters; but i didn't really want to use it as it's pristine, and i've wrecked my current one - it gets used so often my palm prints have permanently worn into the plastic   :oogle:

also, nice to see you signed up here kern   :righton:

Yeah, I guess I could change to LS32's + seimitsu snap ins. But I can't help but feel it'd be a 'poor workman blaming his tools' state of affairs.

I like this place, some good info, everyone seems to be very good at their shooters though hehe. thanks dude.

jpj

Quote from: kernow on September 09, 2008, 07:04:31 PM
But I can't help but feel it'd be a 'poor workman blaming his tools' state of affairs.

how do you mean?   :)
you've got an AWSD, if i'm remembering right.  and they're all sanwa parts (?)

for shooters, you'll notice a difference (tighter control, etc)
if you have a 2P cp maybe you could have all seimitsu in one half, and all sanwa in the other half...   :lol:

kernow

Yeah all sanwa, my OCD couldn't possibly deal with LS32 sticks and sanwa buttons, not to mention one half sanwa and one seimitsu!

the 'poor workman blaming his tools' scenario i.e 'oh I can't get anywhere on DOJ because of my sticks throw is too long, not because I just suck' heh

Thing is I do actually feel the throw is too large on the sanwa JLF and quite often I find myself trying to dodge something in a swam of bullets and just hitting something else, christ how lame does that sound. :)

I might pick up a couple - hopefully they'll just plug straight in, I am pretty sure the mounting holes are the same, maybe the connectors too, I don't want to fart around with chopping wires up or anything, just keep it standard.

oh well, practice makes perfect! (derails thread, sorry guys)

jpj

i would say go for it!
although i think you may have some troubles with the mounting holes   :-\

but yeah - sanwas don't suit the shooters (think markedkiller said the same about his cab/s setup)

and to go even further off topic, can someone please make some suggestions for what i can write on my high score board?  5 lines, and each 3 letters max.  last one was:
JPJ
SUX
COK
AT
DOJ

cannot use FUK sadly

jpj

two more scores from last night

the 250 run was crazy, as i'd totally fucked up stage 2 and 3, finished stage 4 on maybe 125m...?  and the 1,000 hit chain was from stage 5 - shoulda been much higher, but got screwed on the beehive   :-X

i could do better with a couple of days of practice, but to be honest i might just go back to border down for a little while   :-*

jpj - 288,700,700 - A-E - 1-5 - 1834 Hit

battle gregor

just a word of warning to kern that you need to specify ls-32-01 if you want the jst connector on your stick.. you have to watch the mounting plates as well.. with a ls32 i get the right mounting plate but wrong connector for my aero and with a ls-32-01 i get the right connector but wrong mounting plate  :whyioughtta:

as for ocd fuck that shit both my cabs are a mixture of sanwa and semitsu.one cab even has one stick sanwa and one stick semitsu. :-*

i have been thinking about changing my bomb button to semitsu as lately i keep letting off bombs on dodonpachi with the sanwa buttons. never done it before much but lately i do it all the time  ???

kernow

thanks for that man, I'll definitely have to ask when I purchase. so the ls-32-01 will slot right in, thats good to know (well apart from checking the mounting plate that is)

cheers dude

GaijinPunch

jpj

C.U
AT
LAP
TWO
G.P

edit:  or maybe

NO
ONE
C.C
FOR
G.P

:-*

kernow

GaijinPunch

Haha - nice ones.  I'd like to hit loop 2.  Not sure if it'll happen though.  You should be happy I'm playing at all this month.  Both things of my real life that take up a lot of stress and time (work and family life) are in full motion.

jpj

i do appreciate it   :)
kinda why i like monthly games, cos you can dip in and dip out - i only played two nights this month   :-[
hope things don't get too manic for you, and there are still two weeks left for that clear...   :righton:

GaijinPunch

Sucks when real life is more manic than the danmaku.:(

GaijinPunch

markedkiller78

Guess I'm just in here being nosey as I don't have DOJ or BL :)

Quote from: GaijinPunch on September 15, 2008, 11:10:47 AM
Haha - nice ones.  I'd like to hit loop 2.  Not sure if it'll happen though.  You should be happy I'm playing at all this month.  Both things of my real life that take up a lot of stress and time (work and family life) are in full motion.

That?s what I like about danmaku, I?m too busy concentrating on the game that I forget about all the other stressful stuff. I do still hate getting called away to do some real life stuff  in the middle of a good run though :( I hope things calm down for next months comp.

If I have the game then I?m aiming not to be last lol.

@Kernow; I?ve just fitted new LS32?s to both my Astros. They make such a difference imo and sanwa buttons just to mess with your mind :)

kernow

hah, nice one man, I might have to try them next time I order sticks, I hope the mounting holes are the same (I think so)

I've been on DOJ and sucking hard. merely trying to chain the first level at present.

GaijinPunch

adverse

So how do you guys deal with the stage 3 boss's really quick "swirling" pattern?  I can dodge this about 2/3 of the time, but it seems crazy hard to predict if he will throw out the sequence with the tiny gap.  I find that generally with A-E, I will have to dodge this pattern twice.  The first time, there will be a narrow dodge on the last swirl.  The second time there will be one or two narrow dodges.  But is it random?  And when these narrow ones come, do they come at a fixed position from the previous bullet swirl?

jpj

usually, i will have no-miss no-bombed up to here, and score about 160m.
hyper him, and don't die.  if i need to, just bomb his last bit.  max bomb bonus isn't worth much at all in DOJ anyways

or did you mean a different swirling pattern  ???

adverse

Quote from: jpj on September 17, 2008, 06:25:53 PM
usually, i will have no-miss no-bombed up to here, and score about 160m.
hyper him, and don't die.  if i need to, just bomb his last bit.  max bomb bonus isn't worth much at all in DOJ anyways

or did you mean a different swirling pattern  ???

It's the second attack he does. 

Is hypering him really effective?  I've done it a few times but I always get caught up on the attack where you have to weave through the 'corridors' if you will, i.e. the fourth attack of his first form.

jpj

ah, i know where you mean now...

no, hypering makes it more difficult, i just do that for points.  can't really say anything but practice, and be conservative with your movements.  for the fourth attack, hold A for first two sweeps, C button for the following two   :)

adverse

HEX - 100,082,240 - 1-5 - A-E 735

Could have gotten farther...probably at least another 10 mil.  Fucked up with a hyper on hand and a life left.  Ugh. 
Well this will probably be it for me with this competition.  By the end I managed to full chain level 1, 3/4 chain level 2 and half chain level 3.  At level 4 though everything changes, lol.  :'(

jpj

updated  :)

do you wanna choose the game for next month, adverse?   :)

adverse

I'd be down for either Ibara Arrange or Deathsmiles.  I guess the last monthly comp was Ibara Hard mode though right?  So maybe Deathsmiles?