Deathsmiles 2 [CAVE PCB, 2009]

Started by EOJ, January 06, 2009, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwyrgyn

565m run with Casper: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7712237

I noticed the rings are pretty odd in this version, as is explained on the new system page:

Tiny Silver Rings- Dropped when you use your option to block yellow/green bullets. Increases your +Counter but decreases your Item Counter.

Tiny Red Rings - Dropped as chip damage from bosses and maybe enemies too? Increase Item Counter only.

Blue Rings - Dropped from killing some enemies and from negating yellow/purple sperm bullets in normal mode. Raises your +Counter only.

Platinum Rings - The big ones you see a lot of, they show up for a lot of reasons. Canceling bullets when entering Power Up mode, Chip Damage from options in Power Up (that aren't bosses?), killing stuff in Power-Up with Lock-Shot (tons for this), releasing Lock-Shot to negate the sperm bullets (yellow/purple ones), probably even more stuff. They refill your Item Counter only.

This is the first version to look like it has an actual legit scoring system although it's definitely still largely composed of Power Up > Lock Shot > Refill > Power Up. Bombing on bosses seems real useful since your +Counter drops like a rock on them.

Dave_K.

Quote from: adverse on July 17, 2009, 10:28:53 AMBasically the typical CAVE crew is credited, with Inoue as director... :/

Inoue really sold out on this one.  :-[  Should have gone straight to console.

Quote from: Inoue

HVL

Quote from: Gwyrgyn on July 22, 2009, 12:47:08 PM
565m run with Casper: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7712237

The best ending. Ever.

Quote from: adverse on July 17, 2009, 10:28:53 AM
Got to the last phase on the boss (Santa Claus) of the new castle.  Dear god, the 3D models on the chess pieces, and then the evil babies that attack you later...just bad.  Straight up.

You mean Satan Claws, right? :laugh:

adverse

Call me crazy but I find this game fun, if short and not challenging enough.

Commenters at Mihara's blog lately have been having an about-face on it too after the 3.00 upgrade.

Gwyrgyn

They finally managed to get enough shit covering the screen to make it a real Cave game.

GaijinPunch

Quote3.00 upgrade.

That's a lot of upgrades to get an arcade game right.  Is there a staff roll yet?

croikle

Quote from: adverse on July 17, 2009, 10:28:53 AMI continued after Santa Claus, and you get a credit roll.  Basically the typical CAVE crew is credited, with Inoue as director...
So there's finally a final stage, but there's space for an EX stage in the upper left at least, and the other character. 4.00, or will it go higher?

Gwyrgyn

Quote from: GaijinPunch on July 25, 2009, 09:58:41 AM
Quote3.00 upgrade.

That's a lot of upgrades to get an arcade game right.  Is there a staff roll yet?

Yup, big ol ending and credit roll. You can see it in one of the vids on nico.

hermosaguy

That has gotta suck for the collector trying to get every version of every Cave game.  I'm still bitter I don't have Futari 1.0!  :laugh:

SuperPang

Megalixir

Quote from: GaijinPunch on July 25, 2009, 09:58:41 AM
Quote3.00 upgrade.

The game was right the first time. They just released it in the arcades instead of Comiket.

Kaneda

3.00 is apparently still not quite right, I saw it freeze yesterday. Other than that, I'm seeing a lot more people playing it, myself included. I saw one bitching score at 1,08 billion.

adverse

Awesome, somebody finally passed a billion.   :righton:  Was that at HEY?  Did you see it go down?  That haunted library level is a goldmine.

Kaneda

It was at HEY but unfortunately I didn't see the run.

EOJ

Finally got to play this yesterday at A-cho in Kyoto. I was impressed - it plays really well and the graphics aren't as fugly as they look in the vids. Overall the game feels very tight and I had fun with it. Really looking forward to the port for this one.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

adverse

Nice, glad you're digging it.  So am I.

Edit: Just saw the other thread.

EOJ

I've played this about 10 times now, my best score is 273mil w/ Windia, ending at the last boss (just a sliver of life left on him too).
You really have to use the lock-shot nearly all the time in this game, in order to score well. Makes me feel like I'm playing Soukyuugurentai or something.
My score archive

EOJ

The more I play this, the more it feels like Galuda 2 to me. You've got your proximity gem effect, your zesshikai type mode when you hold A+B in Power up mode and get suicide bullets that slowly track you, and the quick in/out of power up mode (when you know what you're doing). So I feel it's maybe 30% Deathsmiles, 50% Galuda 2, and 20% Soukyuugurentai. Pretty weird mix. Yagawa should do the arrange mode for the port.
My score archive

adverse

SIN just posted up that he hit almost 1.2 billion.  Pretty sick.  He must have his routes really figured out at this point.  

Have you noticed if there is a way to keep the plus value high?  Are good players getting to 10k on the plus value in the first stage?  What I tend to do is score a bit on stage 1 and then make sure I have a "hyper" for the boss so that I can kill it quick and keep the plus value from falling too far.  But then whenever I start the next level it seems that the plus value has fallen even further.  Any idea what determines this?

I've also found two 1up items in the game, one from the big armored ghost in the library level after the chandelier section and another from the second or third brown blob in the upward scrolling level towards the end.  In both cases I killed them with the lock-on shot.  But sometimes I don't get the item so not quite sure what the conditions are...

EOJ

I know you have to use the lock shot when in normal mode to get gems - this fills up your multiplier faster than just using the laser. I think it's only really beneficial when you can lock onto a bunch of small enemies who release suicide bullets that you can convert into gems.
All the good players I've seen get the multiplier to 10,000 in stage 1 before they start scoring in Power up mode. But they also end the stage with 70+mil (my best is about 30mil).

You're right about the two 1UPs. You have to be in power up mode and use the lock shot. I'm not sure if there's any other requirement.

Best score I've seen at A-Cho is 970mil. Best run I personally saw there was about 750mil.

I think your multiplier depletes during the boss fight, then gets cut by 1/2 at the start of the subsequent stage, but I'm not sure really. One thing I like about this game is a death only shaves 10% off your mulitplier. I think DSMBL would be way more fun if it was like this (maybe this will be altered in DSMBL 1.1).
My score archive

adverse

Gwyrgyn

I like how that dude did nothing but hold laser the whole time and still managed to rack up 760m points easily with Lei.

HVL

Quote from: Gwyrgyn on September 17, 2009, 01:23:32 PM
I like how that dude did nothing but hold laser the whole time and still managed to rack up 760m points easily with Lei.

Yeah, playing the castle with her seems very exciting. </sarcasm>

gsl

EOJ

I'm looking forward to the new super-powered character. Looks like fun.

I wish they would port this soon, but I have a feeling we'll have to wait about a year. It's the only game I play when I go to the arcades now. It's really very fun.
My score archive

zlk

I wonder if there are any new maps to be unlocked.  I am also surprised that the price of this game has not dropped at all.

EOJ

There are some areas on the map that look like they should be other stages. They will probably unlock them in a few months once they finishing making the stage(s) (surely they haven't completed them yet), after this final character is unlocked. Basically, Cave released a 50% finished game last May, and they have been slowly bringing it up to 100% complete. They probably get more money from these long, dragged out location tests (which is what they amount to), but it's annoying for the people who actually play the games.

I wouldn't buy the PCB until the final version is released, with all characters, stages, etc available. I'd bet you have to download (or install from USB) the new stuff they add, and it isn't in the versions that are out right now.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

I got fucked off enough at other companies releasing half-finished games and updating them as they go.  I thought this was limited to online RPGs (Phantasy Star Universe sucked massive shit when it came out.  I heard it got better, but fuck if I stuck around).  Unforgiveable for a shooting game, IMHO.   So, not playing it.  The handful of times I make it to the arcades I've been playing VF5.

EOJ

Ah, you've gone back to VF. Didn't you spend like 1,000,000yen on VFIV?
My score archive

adverse

Quote from: EOJ on October 05, 2009, 11:01:16 PM

I wish they would port this soon, but I have a feeling we'll have to wait about a year. It's the only game I play when I go to the arcades now. It's really very fun.

Want to open a score thread?  Or should I?  Still have to do the DFK one too.

I've been toying with DS2 as well after seeing a really sick player at Alpha Channel.

Also, I doubt that Rei is going to be as overpowered as he was at the AM show.  Ultimately they have to keep some sort of character balance.