Deathsmiles 2 [CAVE PCB, 2009]

Started by EOJ, January 06, 2009, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pda

You can smell a port for DS2 more than ever now.Doesn't it look like cellshaded from what i could see?I wonder what system runs this,no details yet?Wouldn't be surprised if it's an external one,a la Type-X 2,since Cave hasn't a big history in 3D stuff.And you pointed out that the game was somehow bugging/rebooting,like our beloved PCs running XP,which is TTX2's OS.

EOJ

They just moved the camera on the live feed - you can actually see the screen now.

It looks pretty wild, with tons of stuff happening on the screen.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

adverse

Quote from: EOJ on February 19, 2009, 09:55:34 PM
More details:

-the new character, Soupy, is 7 years old.

::facepalm::

Argh...

Ok, well the Space Harrier-esque portions worry me but otherwise I'm curious to see how it goes down.  Taito Type X2, the same thing SFIV ran on IIRC.  Capcom had a relatively easy time porting that to both 360 and PS3.  Given that the game is a hori as well, I think this is a step towards increasing synergy with consoles.  Perhaps also the deathknell of the vertical shooter?  Or maybe they'll make vert Viewlix at some point.

adverse

So apparently the first boss is a giant reindeer.   :laugh:

EOJ

A guy on 2Ch:

"while the game is very pretty, you no longer have skulls bouncing all over the screen, and because of this the game feels unsatisfactory".
My score archive

EOJ

I see there is a selectable stage map in those pics.

The graphics look OK. Sorta reminds me of a PS2 or DC 3D game. Some of the enemies (and the boss) look cheesy though.
Overall definitely not as nice looking as Deathsmiles.

Well I definitely won't be buying this arcade game, but an X360 port is pretty much definite, so it will be nice to own this for $70 around Christmas time.  :righton:
My score archive

rtw

Quote from: EOJThe graphics look OK. Sorta reminds me of a PS2 or DC 3D game. Some of the enemies (and the boss) look cheesy though.
Overall definitely not as nice looking as Deathsmiles.

So this is a hi-res game ?

rtw
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

EOJ

I'd think so, since it's all polygonal. I don't know why they'd make a realtime 3D game in 240p.
My score archive

Midnight Milkshake

I expected something like Blaz Blue, but finally it's 3d, better wait to play it before giving an opinion about.

retre

Argh! This means that Cave finally leaves the sprites?  :-[

Anyway, 3D fact apart, the game looks great.

GaijinPunch

I need to find a picture of a grave stone.  Cave has official sold out.  There's going to have to be some rockin' gameplay in this... and then it will be their one and only signature.

SuperPang

3D never even crossed my mind. I hope to hell this is an xmas release because if thats nearly finished it looks nothing like a Cave shooter and you're right, its a management forced sellout.

KOMA

The feeling i have with DS2 it is the same when SNK has made Metal Slug in 3D,what's the f**

Gwyrgyn

The only thing that really looks bad from what I can even make out is that there's just nothing going on on the screen. That could be a symptom of just being a beta or set at a really low difficulty, but either way the game looks really boring by comparison right now.

Ast-Kot

I've read that the new hardware powered by Cave is an WXp based with a ASUS M3 mother board :)
あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

drboom

Quote from: GaijinPunch on February 20, 2009, 07:30:22 AM
I need to find a picture of a grave stone.  Cave has official sold out.  There's going to have to be some rockin' gameplay in this... and then it will be their one and only signature.

Go nuts.
I'm reserving judgement until I see some more footage. I'll be hella depressed if Ketsui 2 comes out in 3D, tho.

Midnight Milkshake

Still waiting for better screens or videos to judge it, but don't like what I'm seeing.

zlk

I think the backgrounds and enemies look great.  There is a severe lack of bullets on the screen for a cave game, but that will probably be fixed.  I am looking forward to the game.   :righton:

Pda

Quote from: zlk on February 20, 2009, 12:24:05 PM
I think the backgrounds and enemies look great.  There is a severe lack of bullets on the screen for a cave game, but that will probably be fixed.  I am looking forward to the game.   :righton:

Funny,on my own i find backgrounds and any character quite bland.Explosion and shot light effects look nice.Menu/inbetween stages presentation remains typical Cave polish.

Not too excited,but looking forward for Matsuri's special 3D posters! >:D

Gwyrgyn

I thought the backgrounds looked pretty good. There is a lot of depth and detail going on, especially in the daytime stage.
Doesn't even look like there's a scoring system going on yet though so there will probably be a lot of gameplay changes before the game releases. It doesn't really look very fun or interesting yet as a result.

GaijinPunch

I started to think "okay, it's not terrible" until I saw that castle boss.  Blech.  Could turn out decent (looks better than their 3D competitors, that's true) but losing sprites is definitely now a lost Cave signature.

Ast-Kot

Maybe I'm the only guy according to the new direction choosen by Cave but the game is only at 10% completed and I think that Cave get the rigth direction for a new era of shmups!!
あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

EOJ

I stand by my original comments on the graphics, though one thing I didn't mention was the explosions, which look like ass. The graphics and the gameplay will have to be improved quite a lot before I take the game seriously. The bullet patterns are a joke so far (though interesting that there is still a lot of slowdown - must be programmed in). Hopefully CAVE is just showing this early, and will actually spend time on it and not release it until December instead of a release a few months from now.

I think it's sad that CAVE has abandoned 2D sprites, it's what set their games apart from the rest these days. I'm still holding out hope that DS2 is a one-off, and they will perhaps do Ketsui 2 on the SH3, but that seems rather improbable at this point.  :(
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Quote from: Ast-Kot on February 20, 2009, 03:52:46 PM
Maybe I'm the only guy according to the new direction choosen by Cave but the game is only at 10% completed and I think that Cave get the rigth direction for a new era of shmups!!

A game is not playable at 10%.  This is 50% or more.  Traditionally Cave have only shown games at a near-complete level, and nothing has gone more than a few months after it's been shown.

rtw

Is it only me or does this game resemble Trouble Witches ? With the entire magic circle and suchlikes...

rtw
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work

KOMA

It's hard to see the cave 2d spirit away.It looks like Trouble Witches  and a bit Otomedius wich is not a compliment....