Started by drboom, December 21, 2007, 08:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markedkiller78

1.   Dodonpachi
2.   Esp Rade
3.   Esp Galuda 2
4.   MMP
5.   Ketsui

I?ve not played DS, DFK, MF1.5, or IBL so can?t comment.

I prefer the old style cave games. Guwange would be up there, but I detest scenery getting in the way. I suspect progear would too had I not sold it prematurely. It still amazes me how much I enjoy the top 3 & they are some of Cave?s cheapest :)

All that being said, I?ve had more fun per $ from APB than any other shmup. It?s such a bargain & has so much depth, not to mention how much fun the game is, but that?s a different topic :)

Caveman

1 - Espgaluda II
2 - Mushi Futari 1.5
3 - Espgaluda
4 - Mushihimesama
5 - MMP

Also a mention to DOJ & Guwange, essential Caveness ;)

battle gregor

i am another one of those weirdoes who prefers the early cave stuff ..

1.dodonpachi
2.esperade
3.dodonpachi d.o.j
4.muchi pork
5.ketsui

i did enjoy both the galudas gameplay but i dont like the art style.as for mushimesama i hayte the art style and the gameplay   :lol:

muchi pork and ketsui could rise up if i ever get to play them enough..
i miss my muchi  :P

jpj

ABC-P.F

Hello! I'm a newcomer here. I'm very interested in CAVE shmups.

Anyway, my personal ranking is

1. Ketsui
2. Dodonpachi doj
3. Dangun Feveron
4. Mushi Futari
5. ESP.RA.DE

The third and fourth is well contested......

bitkid

I think I want to change my list now that I've played the PS2 ports a bit now.
Keep in mind that I haven't played Mushi-Futari, Espgaluda 2, Ketsui, Ibara Kuro BL, Pink Sweets, MMP, or DDP: DFK.

1. Guwange (I've seen the light and agree with GP on this one. Its such a rich game that I've bumped it up to #1. I concur with GP that it has the best Cave soundtrack. I also like how it has a similar kind of "chain the level" mechanic that DDP has, but IMO Guwange is a bit less strict).
2. Mushihimesama (I love the fast pace of Original mode, and the creativity of the patterns in Maniac).
3. Espgaluda (Scoring system that is so satisfying in that instant gratification kind of way).
4. DoDonPachi (After playing DOJ for a bit I think I enjoy DDP a bit more right now. Its hard, but not grind-my-brain-into-paste hard).
5. Progear no Arashi (I guess I really like bullet-canceling scoring systems. I like this game for similar reasons to liking Espgaluda, that and I really love the art design).
6. Esp Ra.De. (I really like the techno-futuristic art design in this game. The scoring system is pretty fun and being a newbie like me you can be improvisational with it too which is nice.)
7. Ibara (I have the PS2 port of this and I've been putting way more time in Arrange mode than arcade mode. At first I really didn't like the art design in Ibara but I've come to really dig the awesome pyrotechnics. I still wish the bullets were a bit easier to see in Arcade mode).
8. DoDonPachi DOJ (The game so fun it hurts...literally, I don't know if I have screamed at the TV any more than I have with DOJ).
9. Dangun Feveron (Love the disco beat soundtrack and the manic running about to get EVERY LAST DISCO MAN!)
10. DonPachi (For me this game is only fun in quick spurts. If I play it any more than that I just get so frustrated at the latter stages.)

I've been thinking of writing up a review for either Esp Ra.De. or Progear. Not sure which I will pick yet.

Sonic R

I have not played too many games?  :-[

My top 5:

1. Mushihimesama
2. Pink Sweets
3. Ketsui
4. DonPachi
5. DoDonPachi

I played Mushi Futari briefly but cannot really rate it proper? With more time to play, it will surely make my top 5. 
I am also curious to play Death Smiles and Muchi Muchi Pork.

EOJ

My list changes again! Owe it all to DDPDFK 1.5.

1)Mushihimesama Futari ver 1.5
2)Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu ver 1.5
3)Deathsmiles
4)Mushihimesama Futari ver 1.0
5)Mushihimesama

Mushi Futari BL gets bumped off the list. Definitely starting to lose my interest in that game...
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

professor ganson

Quote from: EOJ on October 22, 2008, 11:23:29 PM
My list changes again! Owe it all to DDPDFK 1.5.

1)Mushihimesama Futari ver 1.5
2)Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu ver 1.5
3)Deathsmiles
4)Mushihimesama Futari ver 1.0
5)Mushihimesama

Mushi Futari BL gets bumped off the list. Definitely starting to lose my interest in that game...

So glad to see Death Smiles in your top 3 because I respect your opinion and so this is more confirmation that this game is going to blow my mind.  Can't wait!!!

EOJ

My new top 5 for the start of 2009:

1) Mushihimesama Futari [1)Black Label, 2)1.5, 3)1.0]
2) Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu ver 1.5
3) Ketsui
4) Muchi Muchi Pork!
5) Espgaluda II

Ketsui makes the list!  :o
Deathsmiles drops off.
My score archive

dimmu--borgir

Have been limited to Mame and PS2 and only Ibara and Mushi on PCB:s so far.  However, I'm already curious how this list will look like in a year.

Progear
Mushihimesama
Esprade
Dodonpachi
DOJ

Got Mushi yesterday so the list will probably change soon. Soo damn good. I knew that stepping into CAVE PCB territory would be that good.

RGC

Hmm, might as well revise my list too:

1. Mushihimesama
2. ESPGaluda II
3. Donpachi
4. Dodonpachi
5. ESPGaluda Arrange [PS2]

This is based purely on the ones I have returned to the most.

skykid

My current top 5:

1: Progear no Arashi (I have serious battles with this game.)
2: Dodonpachi DaiOuJou (Never a peaceful death.)
3: Mushihimesama
4: Guwange
5: Dangun Feveron

Surprised to see Ibara making so many top 5's. Perhaps one day I'll see the light, but for now it's just a painfully frustrating game for me.  :mad:

Quote from: SuperPangWhere DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away

astrodan88

Based on what I've played. In order of release, not preference (I just can't choose a favorite)

Do Donpachi
Progear
Mushihimesama
ESP Galuda II
Pink Sweets

I haven't played Ibara Black Label, MMP, Futari, Death Smiles, or DDPDFK but I suspect at least one of these would make the list (MMP  ;))

Pda

Question for EOJ:

How come Futari BL makes it on top of your list eventually after your "starting to lose my interest in that game" comment?  :o

EOJ

Why? I got interested in it again.  ;) My lists are always my "current top 5", and these fluctuate based on various factors. I've been really enjoying God Mode in MFBL the past month, hence its rise to the top.
My score archive

Pda

At the end of the day you'd still put ahead your beloved 1.5 or BL?      That's what our citizens want to know,dear President!

EOJ

Overall Futari 1.5 is still #1 for me.
My score archive

Jonpachi

I lean more old school Cave, the early tenative years when they were still figuring it all out.

1. Esprade
2. Progear No Arashi
3. Dodonpachi DOJ
4. Muchi Muchi Pork!
5. Dodonpachi
6. Dangun Feveron
7. Espgaluda
8. Ibara
9. Mushihimesama
10. Donpachi

jpj

SuperPang

Quote from: SuperPang on December 28, 2007, 08:36:39 AM
1. Guwange
2. Ketsui
3. Ibara
4. Espgaluda
5. Progear no Arashi

Funny how this changes depending what I played recently.

Currently:

1. Ketsui
2. Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label
3. Esprade
4. Espgaluda
5. Ibara

Jonpachi

Quote from: SuperPang on February 28, 2009, 06:55:56 AM
Quote from: SuperPang on December 28, 2007, 08:36:39 AM
1. Guwange
2. Ketsui
3. Ibara
4. Espgaluda
5. Progear no Arashi

Funny how this changes depending what I played recently.

Currently:

1. Ketsui
2. Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label
3. Esprade
4. Espgaluda
5. Ibara

Nice to see Rade made it in this time. Not enough love for this game. Yeah, the boss-milking sort of kills the fun a bit, but if you just ignore that and play it straight-up it's still my all time favorite. I just love how aggressive you can play, and the classic Joker Jun artwork and characters are still the best.

PROMETHEUS

1) Mushihimesama Futari
2) Ketsui
3) Dodonpachi DaiFukkatsu
4) Mushihimesama
5) Guwange

adverse

I gotta say I'm pretty surprised when I see Mushihimesama in people's top 5's.  Is it maniac mode that attracts people?  I 1CC'ed Original mode and had an ok time doing it, but the scoring in original is known for being really boring. 

For me, not a lot of change:

1. Mushihimesama Futari BL
2. DDP DOJ BL
3. DDP DFK
4. Ketsui
5. Deathsmiles

GaijinPunch

adverse

jpj

i could never get the esprade love.  fo a while, i figured it was the starting place fo a lot of old-timer's pcb collecting, and had a nostalgia value; as well as popular with young guys cos of mame etc.  i loaned the pcb for a week, but just didn't do anything for me   :-\  wouldn't even put it in a top 20

mushi maniac *does* have some nice bullet patterns.  but that button-tapping business just isn't for me.  i liked original (despite it being easy), and really liked ultra (despite it being cheap  =D). 

currently:

1. dai-ou-jou black label
2. ibara
3. espgaluda
4. ketsui
5. mushi futari

although i haven't played anything post-futari

Plasmo

I didn't know that you rank Ibara that high! Tasty.

jpj

i love ibara  =D another one on the list of stuff i need to play again soon  :righton:

GaijinPunch

Quote from: adverse on March 01, 2009, 08:25:47 AM

Says the guy playing Futari 1.0 original right now  ;)

1.0 Original is mean.  Nothing like the err... original original...which is quite boring.