Rotatable LCD TV stand and issues w. my tv

Started by Rad, February 12, 2009, 07:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.

Basically i am an arcade fan since i 1st saw an arcade machine. Happens that my best performance in arcades was @ Raiden 2, that's bc vertical shooters in time became my favorite genre (well that and gun shooting).

Anyway, it was only last year that i built (w. help from someone) my supergun. I use JROK's adapter for the video (which is for horizontal games).
Now you guys really made me wanna buy a Cave kit or pcb at least, but i have one big problem: the game's vertical orientation.
Only way i can see it possible is by rotating my LCD TV from 0-90 degrees. I seen in a local hypermarket LCD TV's that were fixed in the wall in a vertical position. However i wouldn't like to buy an extra TV just for this purpose, so please reply to this in case any of you discovered a rotatable LCD TV stand somewhere in case you use a supergun.

I know Death Smiles is a very nice game and its horizontal but 1k usd for the regular non-MBL edition its a bit much for my pocket atm (90k yen, the price Fujita offered me).

My second problem is with the LCD TV i have, i think i mite of ruined its component input port. When i first got the JROK i think that by mistake i plugged in one of the YPbPr sockets the VHS cable. Now when i put the component cable in the right sockets the image has a double that is stretched,shakes and and overlays the image. I haven't had the opportunity to test elsewhere what is wrong: the TV is busted or the adapter. I can play on S-Video or AV modes but the image quality is way poorer than on Component.

EDIT: I managed to get my hands on a HD cam with component output and tested the tv, nothing wrong with it.
         Seems the adapter is faulty or other issue w. the TV.
         Anyway here are the pics i took with the hd camera of my tv running the  supergun in Component and S-Video modes.   
         The first (faulty) image being the Component mode.

http://i43.tinypic.com/29byao4.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/ztw7dw.jpg

Any advice welcome, thanks.

SuperPang

A lot of LCD computer monitors have rotatable stands but IMHO you should be looking at a CRT for your main low res setup.

Rad

Quote from: SuperPang on February 12, 2009, 07:43:23 AM
A lot of LCD computer monitors have rotatable stands but IMHO you should be looking at a CRT for your main low res setup.

Yeah, but unfortunately i live in Romania, so the only cab i ever owned was a poor condition horizontal display one (i couldn't buy one even if i wanted too, arcades are dead in here since about '99).

Also, not much space in my room.

I edited my 1st post and added pics of the issue i have w. my adapter; gonna ask JROK about this, hopefully its a issue w. my noname LCD TV only.

Rad

Well i found a solution, its kinda like scratching your head with your toes but...

Take 1 tv tuner pci card, plug into PC; connect the output from the JROK adapter (which works fine, its my TV that has issues); use a nice freeware like DScaler to view the image from the supergun, and now... just rotate the image via software from the video card's control panel (there is also a key combo in vista something in the lines of ctrl+alt+arrow keys).

I'll post some pics when i get a vertical game running (as in buy one).

There is one last arcade in town at a mall, i might go there to ask if they have a vertical cab for sale (although the horizontal ones they have look rather bad).

Rad

I ordered a Ibara PCB from Fujita. but the postal service is taking its time, EMS tracking says it left Tokio outward office of exchange 2 days 16 hrs ago, no update since.

Anyway i discovered a soft called iRotate which allows screen rotation in windows with ctrl+alt+arrow keys.
This is way easier and faster than going to the video card's control panel (especially when its turned to a side).

Here is a short clip showing screen rotation with the tv tuner soft displaying my Atomiswave.

Displaying the game like this seems kinda sad compared to a dedicated cab, but for people with little room for a cab or that have a supergun and a tv tuner card should do the trick; my tv is of decent size (32") so i should see pretty well the video output (well, like the 360 port of DDP DOJ BL).

Hope this thread helps people that wanna join the PCB club and have a problem with the vertical orientation of the games.