Author Topic: savant  (Read 786 times)

jpj

• Trade Count: (0)
savant
« on: March 26, 2009, 05:08:35 PM »
one of the people i play regularly at street fighter 2 is a concert pianist, and we regularly talk about our favourite musicians, and talented performers.  now personally, i believe music is very systematic, not unlike mathematics, and can be learnt by nearly anyone.  some instruments require a lot more physicality than others.  certainly, it would be harder to play mandolin if you had fat stubby fingers, etc.  so sometimes physical characteristics can be advantageous; but the rest just comes down to hard work.  legend has it that the young james marshall hendrix had never picked up a guitar before he was fourteen.

after chatting for a while, i remembered this documentary i'd seen some years ago about someone who was beyond a virtuoso status.  derek paravicini is heavily autistic.  can't tell right from left, or count to ten.  but he is a musical savante.  if i was religious, i'd call it a gift from god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kwjDLHX92w

that's part 1 of 5.  but you can find the other parts in the Related Videos  :)

absolutely blew me away when i first watched it.  hope you enjoy  =D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 06:12:47 PM by jpj »

Offline charlienash87

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: savant
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »
That was much enjoyed, thanks jpj
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

Offline charlienash87

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 11:22:52 AM »
He can hold and follow more notes simultaneous than he has fingers. as far as counting goes, 1................................
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

Offline zlk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:53:09 PM »
Cool find jpj.  I wonder if one day there will be a savant in shmups who can just dodge any Cave TLB attack with impunity. 

Offline charlienash87

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 12:18:06 PM »
narrow and obsessive interest(s) are shmups. I wouldn't be surprised if a good amount of people who play shmups are autistic. good point jpj, that never occurred to me :o
shinu ga yoi in Ibara