Main Menu

Xbox 360 sticks - Recommendations?

Started by Deity, May 02, 2009, 05:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deity

So, which 360 stick should I get, if I am getting one specifically to play Cave-shmups on xb360?

Is the HRAP EX the way to go? Or maybe the SFIV Tournament Stick?

HVL

HRAP EX and SFIV TE are both solid choices if you want Sanwa.

As for Seimitsu, I think the best (at least the most cost effective) option is to get the standard SFIV stick and mod it with Seimitsu LS-32-01 and buttons of your choice. No soldering required, simply remove the generic parts and drop in the good stuff.

Megalixir

There's the HRAP EX SE, or for pads, a SF4 FightPad.

That's it, unless you wish to mod stuff.

Joe T.

Yeah, the white SFIV fightstick (madcatz) is the way to go.  I have a very nice custom stick that cost me more money and hassle and it doesn't have all the niceties of the SFIV stick.  I got the fightstick for $60 shipped and new seimitisu parts for another $45.  Swapping out parts was so easy that anyone with a screwdriver can do it.

I would like to change the artwork on it but I don't have photoshop. 

Danmaku

What's the difference between sanwa and seimitsu for shmups?

adverse

Quote from: Danmaku on January 07, 2010, 09:13:08 AM

Maniac and Ultra.

Danmaku

I use a HRAP EX modded with Sanwa Buttons and it feels just excellent with Futari.

HVL

Quote from: Danmaku on January 07, 2010, 12:38:59 PM
I use a HRAP EX modded with Sanwa Buttons and it feels just excellent with Futari.

That's good for you; it's a matter of preference between Sanwa and Seimitsu after all. Both make high quality arcade parts.

PS. I used to like JLF too, until I tried LS-32... =D

Megalixir

Quote from: adverse on January 07, 2010, 10:15:07 AM
Quote from: Danmaku on January 07, 2010, 09:13:08 AM

Maniac and Ultra.

Actually, I know a Japanese guy who can reach Stage 4 of Ultra with a Megadrive pad, but that's another story.

gsl

Doesn't Mr. Monkeyman generally play his PCBs with a modded Saturn pad?

Megalixir

Last I heard, he sold his Supergun stuff along with Ketsui, Galuda 2 and Daifukkatsu.

It's in good hands now, though. I don't know if he still plays but I believe it was just a normal Saturn pad, wired for whatever Supergun he had at the time.

moebinkay

I bought the M Futari stick (as pictured currently in my avatar), but I prefer using a the basic xbox360 controller when it comes to xbox360 shmups. I always get so tense whenever I play and my palms sweat so much I ended up deteriating my previous controller. I bought another wired one, and strapped on a silicon case so it wont end up like the last. The only stick that I use today is the Sega Saturn Virtua stick especially when I play DonPachi or DDP. BUT if your determined on buying a stick my advice is to go with the Hori "Fighting Stick EX2" [http://www.hori.jp/us/products/xbox360/fighting_stick_ex2/index.html]. Its compact, Wireless, and much more comfortable to use. The others are all based on colored versions of the "Real Arcade Pro.EX SE", If I want I could use it for self defense instead.

Elixir

The EX2 is total shit; it's made of full Hori parts, it's difficult to mod, it's wireless (this isn't a good thing why do people think this is a positive thing why), can you explain why you're recommending it?

moebinkay

Certainly, with regards to modding "Diety" didn't request anything about that. I don't know why you urge so much in doing so. Its joystick is smooth, unlike the MF one that I use thats extremely light. As for wireless I dont mind a wired controller, but a wireless device doesnt imprison you to a limited amount of area. Its very rugged compared to others and you can take it with you easily, a good friend of mine keeps one all the time in his backpack.

Elixir

...because the stick and buttons are Hori buttons, so modding it would be a good idea. The size is not the problem, it's the quality of the parts.

I don't care though, use whatever you want. I'm just surprised someone would recommend the EX2.

fuse

Quote from: Elixir on January 21, 2010, 03:17:20 AM
The EX2 is total shit; it's made of full Hori parts, it's difficult to mod, it's wireless (this isn't a good thing why do people think this is a positive thing why), can you explain why you're recommending it?
I don't know if this is just the UK version or anything but my EX2 is wired.

I want to get one of the Super SFIV TE sticks and mod it with a LS-32. Between that and my stock SFIV TE that would have me covered on all bases.

MX7

I've had an EX2 for a while, and I couldn't be happier with it. I've just snagged another one for ?25 inc p&p. It's wired, has a nice clicky stick, a shortish throw and the buttons are workmanlike but solid. There's also only 6 face buttons (I can't stand sticks with 8 buttons). If I had the cash and the space, I'd prob plump for something bigger and better, but I love this stick :D

I've used Seimitsu and Sanwa sticks a fair amount, and I still don't see a problem with this. If you're already playing in your bedroom on a console, you might as well get a cheap stick. If I had fat hands, then it might be a bit too small, I suppose. Apart from that, I can't really see a problem unless you start comparing it with sticks that are twice the price  :-\

adverse

EX2 is fucking garbage.

For both fighters and shooters.

twoup

I want to put in a good word for the HRAP EX-SE, they're fairly inexpensive since the US release & the stick is really good. I actually like to use a ps2 pad normally and even got a convertor for it on the 360 but I found the EX-SE to be just as responsive (better actually) once I got used to it. The stick accomodates all the small taps needed to play danmaku shumups & it feels a bit 'tighter' (for want of a better word) then a sanwa stick.

Funny to see a Saturn pad mentioned in the thread, if my usb saturn pad worked on 360 I daresay I'd use it every now and then.

Deity

Is the Mushihimesama Futari stick any good? It has the LS-32 right?

NR777

Quote from: Deity on March 01, 2010, 12:09:39 PM

I'd say you're better off just getting an EX-SE. 

brentsg

Quote from: Deity on March 01, 2010, 12:09:39 PM

It has mushy Hori buttons though.

ookitarepanda

Kewing

Well, I'm finally getting a HRAP EX SE this christmas so I've been looking around ebay and what not, and there's a tidbit that has striken me with a bit of doubt. I see some of the sticks for sale are listed as being officially distributed by Hori in the USA. Now, this may seem like an stupid question but, are these USA sticks the exact same regarding parts and build as the ones sold on Japan?
No harm in making sure before plunging the money, no? ;p

spl

Quote from: Kewing on December 02, 2010, 03:08:16 AM
Well, I'm finally getting a HRAP EX SE this christmas so I've been looking around ebay and what not, and there's a tidbit that has striken me with a bit of doubt. I see some of the sticks for sale are listed as being officially distributed by Hori in the USA. Now, this may seem like an stupid question but, are these USA sticks the exact same regarding parts and build as the ones sold on Japan?
No harm in making sure before plunging the money, no? ;p

The parts will definitely be the same if it is a HRAP EX-SE model. There have been slight differences in certain models of Horis like the HRAP3 PS3 stick which the USA version had a thin plastic sheet to protect the panel and the Japanese did not so was prone to getting scratched - but besides these things the parts/case is the same.

All the HRAP sticks are very high quality and very sturdy.  :righton:

brentsg

Be warned that Hori are assholes when it comes to support.  I bought a USA model of a Hori stick from Japan Videogames, new.  It had an issue and Hori simply told me they don't support products sold by that retailer.  They understood that it was a USA product, sold by a USA retailer too.  Initially I thought there might be confusion there.

I'd imagine you might see the same thing from Ebay or similar.

Note:  My stick was warped badly enough that it couldn't be adequately fixed just by adjusting and using different rubber feet.  It flopped all over during use on a flat surface.

ave

Will the Hori EX2 stick (modded with Sanwa-parts) work on a Mac? I've had problems with a DoA 4-stick that while it was recognized in the system profiler, it still wouldn't work for some reason.

I was thinking about buying this stick because the HRAP models are a little too expensive for me at the moment and I also need kind of a "smaller" stick that I can easily put into a suitcase. I wanna use it for 360 shooters and MAME (OS X) basically.
東亜プラン4ライフ

fuse

I'm pretty sure the DoA 4 stick is an EX 2, just branded. Would imagine you would encounter the same issues with both.