Guwange for XBLA [2010] - Patch adding 4:3 support is now available for download

Started by adverse, September 01, 2009, 10:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LRussolo

Finally! Have been looking forward to this ever since it was announced. Arrange Mode sounds awesome to boot!

Kewing

It's very nice to finally see an official port of this one become reality, at last. Looking forward to see how Blue and Arrange will play.

How convenient that I just bought a points card yesterday, heh.

EOJ

My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

emphatic

Wow, less than a month to go!  :righton:

njiska

Finally we have peace. Only a meager month to go.
Hey look I have a crappy blog -- Njiska v3

DOJ - Pride of wankers and elitists everywhere!

Lunchbox

Any word regarding different market versions?
No arcades in Spain.

emphatic

Silicon Era posted a bunch of screenshots and there's an ENGLISH title screen now:

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/12/guwange-scrolls-to-xbox-live-arcade-on-november-10/

EOJ

Looks like the logo for some TV show from the 70s!

I'm disappointed they didn't spell it as Goo Wan Gay.
My score archive

njiska

It's so huge and unsightly. I like that they kept the brush stroke look but they should have kept the vertical orientation on the side as well.

emphatic

Thank God I'll only play this using my Japanese account.  :righton:

moozooh

Very tempted to draw the rest of the cock that capital "G" seems to be an unfinished part of.

EDIT: Something like this.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

charlienash87

the 2 Os' make the balls and the rest of the letters just spell "wang." damn clever puns going on

it may not be official, but there's no denying the style this has
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK8Rtkb6TSc
the artwork on the bottom is a really nice touch.
Quote from: Joe T. on March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM
real shame we can't region lock the region free tards to the shmups forum region-moaning thread.
shinu ga yoi in Ibara

emphatic

Quote from: charlienash87 on October 14, 2010, 07:50:28 AM
the 2 Os' make the balls and the rest of the letters just spell "wang." damn clever puns going on

it may not be official, but there's no denying the style this has
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK8Rtkb6TSc
the artwork on the bottom is a really nice touch.

That stick belongs to Superpang IIRC.

dan76

The screenshot at the bottom makes it looks as though it's optimized for 16:9... Like DS2. Playing a hori with black boarders all around was bad enough - but a vert, in yoko would be ridiculous.
XBL gamertag: durango76uk
www.1ccgames.com

njiska

I'm pretty sure the only reason DS II was forced 16:9 was because the primary focus of that release was X mode and it's natively 16:9. I'd be very surprised if Guwange was forced into 16:9 mode.

Kiken

Quote from: emphatic on October 14, 2010, 06:00:05 AM
Thank God I'll only play this using my Japanese account.  :righton:

If this is anything like practically every other game on the 360, you'll be able to change the in-game text (and title screen) simply by changing the dashboard's display language.  Otherwise, it may have an in-game option to display the original Japanese... I suppose there's a chance it could also be one of the very small handful of games that detects the hardware region Neo-Geo style, and runs in that language regardless of the dashboard settings.

EOJ

ASD said at the recent Cave meeting that Guwange XBLA is basically 100% perfect in regard to slowdown. Ichimura spent a long time tweaking the game, and he managed to get all of the slowdown perfect.

Source: http://sinmoon.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/202/
My score archive

Kewing

That's great to hear. With this and DFK it seems like they're really making up for all the previous messups, after all the user complaints.
Just 1 week away. I can't wait for it.

Van_Artic

Quote from: EOJ on November 04, 2010, 03:42:40 PM
ASD said at the recent Cave meeting that Guwange XBLA is basically 100% perfect in regard to slowdown. Ichimura spent a long time tweaking the game, and he managed to get all of the slowdown perfect.

Source: http://sinmoon.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/202/
very good, i'm looking forward play to Blue and Arrange modes
i wonder if Arrange have new mechanics (other than twin stick gameplay) or arranged OST

Lunchbox

Where's the bitching here?
On your marks...

No, seriously, I'm really having a good time with guwange, after all.
No arcades in Spain.

antares

No fullscreen Tate = no buy! Seriously what were you thinking Cave?

Great the forum is back online, at least here one can bitch about issues without the fear of earning countless idiotic noob comments  :)

I hope you keep this place going for a long time to come EOJ  :righton:

emphatic

Quote from: Lunchbox on November 12, 2010, 04:41:49 PM
Where's the bitching here?

Yeah, let's leave all that to the shmups forums.  :righton:

hipgnosis

I am enjoying this port a lot. Blue mode is pretty damn good, it improves the original a lot. Xbox 360 mode is a fun twin stick shooter, but might get boring after a while. There doesn't seem to be any complicated scoring mechanics there, it is just pure shooting fun. The smoothing filter is quite good also, I'm playing this on a LCD so the lack of 4:3 isn't a problem for me.

gsl

The 4:3 issue sucks, but thankfully I don't sit too far from the TV the 360 is hooked up to.  I paid my money and then wrote an e-mail to them for whatever that's worth.  It's disappointing but not unplayable--as opposed to, say, Dead Rising, where the in-game text telling you what to do is unreadable on a composite connection.  In any case, I figure a LCD TV in the house anymore is just a matter of when, not if.

I only had the chance to run through it a few times last night; can anyone give a quick rundown on the Blue version differences?

jyumi

Quote from: gsl on November 12, 2010, 11:18:58 PM
I only had the chance to run through it a few times last night; can anyone give a quick rundown on the Blue version differences?

From my observation:
1. Bullets you touch with your shikigami, that you have not already turned into gold, will flash pink+blue. They will turn into gold once you destroy an enemy with your shiki.
2. You can "coin stream" with your shot anytime just as long as your skull counter is in the gold area (not sure about this)
3. You can't really milk bosses with (A+C), but you can destroy a boss's objects and turn bullets into gold. ex: the pods on the back of the stage 3's boss or it's tiny spiders. You can milk with A+C but you won't get as many coins.
4. some boss's attack are much harder. [stage 4 boss (last attack), stage 5 boss, stage 6 boss, and TLB]
5. the monkey boss in stage 5 grows as you're shooting. i.e. making it really easy to defeat with your shiki.
6. When you bomb, any bullets your bomb touches will turn into gold.

youtube: Ghostezra
general: Tyjet Poison

hipgnosis

So does anyone know if the counter stop was removed from this version? It would make this release pretty interesting.

Medal

Quote from: hipgnosis on November 13, 2010, 03:28:31 PM
So does anyone know if the counter stop was removed from this version? It would make this release pretty interesting.

Not really...It doesn't counterstop until near the end, anyway.

fuse

There any information about what the last achievement is yet? I see some lad in Germany has it on Trueachievements: http://www.trueachievements.com/a72716/secret-achievement.htm

Aliquantic

For 50 points, it's "perfect the TLB" according to various websites.

EOJ

You have to beat the last form of the last boss (the one that tosses out the annoying big yellow balls) without taking any damage and without bombing. I beat it with using two bombs and taking no damage, but it didn't unlock. I've read Japanese dudes confirm if you don't bomb, it unlocks.
My score archive