The "what Cave game(s) are you playing right now?" thread

Started by EOJ, January 18, 2008, 08:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monouchi

Great going EOJ, MMPs scoring system is quite fun I think. Someday I will return to MMP and try some Ikuo.

My fave scoring system is AK and I popped in the pcb the other day to show a friend, got 130mill in that casual run, got excited and tried yesterday again and got 160mill. So now I am also aiming for 200 mill.

EOJ

AK has a very inviting scoring system. I'm sure you'll hit 200+ mil in no time.  :righton:
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

wasilewski

Quote from: Monouchi on July 06, 2018, 03:15:46 AM
Great going EOJ, MMPs scoring system is quite fun I think. Someday I will return to MMP and try some Ikuo.

My fave scoring system is AK and I popped in the pcb the other day to show a friend, got 130mill in that casual run, got excited and tried yesterday again and got 160mill. So now I am also aiming for 200 mill.

Isn't it very satisfying being able to hit over 100mil on Cave games?  The majority of STGs don't score that high, but it's great on Cave games seeing your score shooting up like that.

Monouchi

It is.
Though right now I would be very happy if I reached 10 mill in Ibara. ;)

Monouchi

Very close to a letter score in Ibara, still my personal best atm.  :)
Too bad I dropped the medal there on the last level...

Also a better view in how to play Ibara than my last 1cc upload.

I really like the action with high rank play, its fine balanced of amounts of bullets and their speed, its crazy fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnyNURd5QFc&feature=youtu.be

EOJ

Quote from: Monouchi on July 22, 2018, 07:41:37 AM

I really like the action with high rank play, its fine balanced of amounts of bullets and their speed, its crazy fun!

I really enjoyed this video. Very good 1CC run, and so close to a letter score! Looking forward to your first letter score.  =D
My score archive

Monouchi

Quote from: EOJ on July 22, 2018, 11:19:40 PM
I really enjoyed this video. Very good 1CC run, and so close to a letter score! Looking forward to your first letter score.  =D

Thanks!
I just felt like trying some Kuro and got a new personal best on first credit.
These two games are so awesome.... :)

EOJ

I pretty much only play my MMP PCB these days, with some Futari 1.5 Maniac and BL God runs tossed in once in awhile to spice things up. I have been alternating between all three characters, after hitting a wall with Rafute. I have improved my score to over 177 million, but it's really hard to make progress with her! Her bomb is sorta random (as far as I can tell) and so you need some luck for a good run. If I could stop making mistakes, with my current strats I could get over 190 mil, but I always seem to make a mistake (or two, or three...). In a strange turn of events, I have really gravitated toward Momo, though the second half of the game feels a lot harder with her. We'll see what I can muster with Momo!
My score archive

wasilewski

Quote from: Monouchi on July 22, 2018, 07:41:37 AM

Nice run!  I also subscribed to your channel. 

Monouchi

Quote from: EOJ on July 25, 2018, 11:56:03 PM
I pretty much only play my MMP PCB these days, with some Futari 1.5 Maniac and BL God runs tossed in once in awhile to spice things up. I have been alternating between all three characters, after hitting a wall with Rafute. I have improved my score to over 177 million, but it's really hard to make progress with her! Her bomb is sorta random (as far as I can tell) and so you need some luck for a good run. If I could stop making mistakes, with my current strats I could get over 190 mil, but I always seem to make a mistake (or two, or three...). In a strange turn of events, I have really gravitated toward Momo, though the second half of the game feels a lot harder with her. We'll see what I can muster with Momo!

Nice! Thats 100 mill over my score...
MMP scoring is fun but I cant really accept that design decision of that random medal showing up from time to time, it drives me crazy. :)

Quote from: wasilewski on July 26, 2018, 12:35:59 PM
Nice run!  I also subscribed to your channel.

Thanks!

EOJ

Quote from: Monouchi on July 27, 2018, 03:47:09 AM

MMP scoring is fun but I cant really accept that design decision of that random medal showing up from time to time, it drives me crazy. :)

You can suck those in easily with the B button. And I like this design decision because it keeps you on your toes! Still, it is a lot easier to maintain a medal chain in MMP than in pretty much any other Yagawa game.
My score archive

EOJ

My Ibara PCB arrived yesterday. I got a 1CC today.  :righton:

I forgot to turn off the rapid fire on the A button when putting in my initials.  :laugh:

This doesn't beat my old 7.2 million score, but that one wasn't a 1CC.

This is actually one of the easier Cave 1CCs if you ignore score items, keep your lives low, hoard bombs up until the bosses and then take them out with hadou guns. About as hard as Futari 1.5 Original in my estimation. Keep in mind I had not played this game in at least 8 years and I was pretty much just winging it a lot of the way.
My score archive

Monouchi

Quote from: EOJ on July 31, 2018, 06:33:35 AM
My Ibara PCB arrived yesterday. I got a 1CC today.  :righton:

This is actually one of the easier Cave 1CCs if you ignore score items, keep your lives low, hoard bombs up until the bosses and then take them out with hadou guns. About as hard as Futari 1.5 Original in my estimation. Keep in mind I had not played this game in at least 8 years and I was pretty much just winging it a lot of the way.

Nice going! :)
I have a Reco pcb and use button 3 as a rapid fire button 1, in that way i can choose when to get high rate fire but also lock and control my options <3 with button 1.

Yes, i agree, hoard bombs and dont pick up anything else than bomb fragments and its quite an easy 1cc.

On the other hand, yesterday I reached last stage with above 8 mill, 3 lives and 3 full bombs...and I did collect almost everything i saw in the stage before.
I have never seen such an agressive rank, it was like playing Dangun feveron stage 4.  =D

SuperPang

Monouchi

Quote from: SuperPang on July 31, 2018, 07:26:27 AM
Quote from: EOJ on July 31, 2018, 06:33:35 AM
About as hard as Futari 1.5 Original in my estimation.
:oogle:

Well, i would add that imo Ibara needs a bit more understanding of the game-system and bosses, where to launch the hadou and such things. :)

EOJ

You can learn where to hadou on the bosses in a day, just by watching some videos. Futari 1.5 Original involves much more actual dodging, so in that respect it is more difficult (especially the last boss). You can 1CC Ibara and only really have to dodge a few patterns on the Stage 1 boss. The other bosses you can just do 3-4 hadous and not deal with a single pattern.

Again, this is if you avoid all medals/extra powerups and just pick up bomb fragments and the power ups you need and don't go over 1 extra life in stock at a time. It is a surprisingly easy clear.

BTW, I turned on my PCB again today, and my 1CC score was gone! All the rest are there, and I put some new scores up today and those aren't erased on power down. Weird!  :-\
My score archive

Monouchi

Quote from: EOJ on August 01, 2018, 02:40:30 AM
You can learn where to hadou on the bosses in a day, just by watching some videos. Futari 1.5 Original involves much more actual dodging, so in that respect it is more difficult (especially the last boss). You can 1CC Ibara and only really have to dodge a few patterns on the Stage 1 boss. The other bosses you can just do 3-4 hadous and not deal with a single pattern.

Again, this is if you avoid all medals/extra powerups and just pick up bomb fragments and the power ups you need and don't go over 1 extra life in stock at a time. It is a surprisingly easy clear.

BTW, I turned on my PCB again today, and my 1CC score was gone! All the rest are there, and I put some new scores up today and those aren't erased on power down. Weird!  :-\

In Futari original you can just reaction dodge on your first runs and throw a bomb when it gets tight. Thats at least how it is for me.
Imo Ibara needs a bit more video-watching to get through and rank-control.

Ive also noticed the scores not being saved, after that I always start a new credit after my scoring run before I turn off the cab.
That seems to help...but Im not 100% sure.

EOJ

Quote from: Monouchi on August 01, 2018, 03:02:32 AM

Ive also noticed the scores not being saved, after that I always start a new credit after my scoring run before I turn off the cab.
That seems to help...but Im not 100% sure.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that next time.
My score archive

EOJ

:)

This score did not save after a power down either, even though I played an extra credit right after. Every time I get a 1CC score it is erased, but every non-1CC score is saved.  :displeased:
Maybe I'll try initializing the ranking again and see if that sorts it.
My score archive

Monouchi

Nice score. :righton:

Hm, I also noticed that in the beginning, but now my 1ccs seems to save.
Wonder what the secret trick is?  I will test again.

In gameplay I finally found the timing for milking the end phase of stage 2 boss. get it more often now.

EOJ

Quote from: Monouchi on August 04, 2018, 01:39:34 AM
Nice score. :righton:

Hm, I also noticed that in the beginning, but now my 1ccs seems to save.
Wonder what the secret trick is?  I will test again.

In gameplay I finally found the timing for milking the end phase of stage 2 boss. get it more often now.

Thanks! This was the first time I tried the st2 boss milking, I got about 1 million from it and ended st2 with 5.6 million. Lost the medal chain in st5, but all in all not a bad run. Now I need to learn the st 3 and 6 boss milking to improve my score.

Maybe after my next 1cc I will play a credit that saves another score to the scoreboard. Perhaps that will help? :-\
My score archive

Monouchi

Nice, yeah in stage 3 boss milking Im coming there with lots of bombs but somehow Kasumi dies way to fast for me to milk as much as I want.
Need to watch some more videos.

Just got the hang of saving a hadou to the beginning of stage 2, that was some extra score.

EOJ

I keep trying to play Espgaluda 2 on and off, but man, that game is kicking my arse.  :laugh: I used to be OK at it and cleared it with all three characters with 300+ mil scores, but for the life of me I can't even get to Stage 6 now. I'll keep trying of course, but this is taking more work than I thought it would. I love the music in this game, it has to be Cave's best soundtrack. Magical stuff.

I'm not nearly as good at Futari 1.5 either. I have a score in Maniac around 450 mil now but that's a far cry from my old 600+mil scores.

In contrast, I find the Yagawa games (Ibara, MMP) much easier than they used to be and I'm scoring better than ever on them. Pretty weird.
My score archive

Monouchi

Yeah, Espa 2 is not an easy game.

Got my first letter score in Ibara,
A502100
...taking the score increase step by step.  :)
I got to the last boss with three full bombs and one extra life, then totally blanked out and forgot what I was supposed to do.   :facepalm:

I also played some Futari BL original to try to get some better score.
I reached stage four Boss without dying and quite high counter.
...then before the last pattern the boss jumps forward and leaves me with a very small area of the screen and then unleashes the final pattern.
is this normal? (Some rank effect?)
First time seeing it.

EOJ

A belated congrats on the letter score in Ibara! :righton:

I'm not sure I've seen that final boss pattern in Original, as you describe it. Maybe it was some kind of glitch?
My score archive

ookitarepanda

I've seen that happen a few times on MFBL. Similar things have happened with bosses like Madara in ESPGaluda II or a couple of the bosses in Muchi Muchi Pork, where depending on where the boss was when you broke a life bracket, it'll move to a very inconvenient spot on the screen. Super frustrating.

Monouchi

Quote from: EOJ on August 15, 2018, 06:24:21 AM
A belated congrats on the letter score in Ibara! :righton:

Thanks!
Will continue to hunt and Ibara is now stuck in one of my cabs for I guess a pretty long time. ;)

On another note, i have ended my search for DFK BL and had my peace with it.
Got to play the pcb over at Limpans place and I really cant stand the game, its like controlling Titanic.
Strong mode was a bit of fun so I will prolly come back in a couple of years.  :bigsmile:

After some Ibara hunting then its finally time for some Pink Sweets.

EOJ

DFK BL is a pretty eccentric game. Definitely not for everyone. I find Bomb style very frustrating (for score), and Strong style on the PCB is a mess with all the sprite/OSD flicker every two seconds. Very easy to die without knowing what hit you. They "fixed" that in the port and that is why I find the port preferable (it is also $3000+ cheaper. ;)).

My fave is B-Power style, but that just makes the whole game into a milk fest, with your ship in a corner of the screen for long stretches of time.

Pink Sweets is even more eccentric (and difficult). I admire it for its uniqueness, but I don't think it's a game I'll return to, since I've already 1CC'd it with all four characters.
My score archive

Monouchi

Yep, the DFK BL port it is.

My goal with PS is to 1cc it without the infinite lives trick using Shasta. I dont care if it take 10 years.
I love the game and think Shasta is the most enjoyable shmup ship/weapon Ive ever come across. (Love the design also, seen in Ibara.) Lots of tricks from that Shasta superplay.  :righton:

SuperPang

DFKBL Bomb mode is one of my favourites. It's a lot of fun pushing the red meter as high as you dare and diving between flashing bees. Haven't played DFK in ages because of it.