Mushihimesama Futari Black Label "ANOTHER VERSION"[Cave 2009, PCB]

Started by EOJ, January 16, 2010, 04:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Thanks to pixeljunkie's post, we now know Cave made a new revision of MFBL on 11/27/2009, that just became available this month. It reads "Another version" on the title screen, and is apparently termed ver 2.0 as well. More details to follow.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

emphatic

Hive

:o

So it really is true. wow...
An update to the greatest Bullet Hell I have ever played, even if minimal, is such a great thing to hear.

EOJ, thanks!
Hive's "Colorphiles" Blog:  http://colorphiles.blogspot.com/

EOJ

Quote from: Hive on January 16, 2010, 05:43:03 PM

EOJ, thanks!

Don't thank me, I'm just relaying pixeljunkie's info.  ;) I am going to do some investigating on my own, and I hope pixeljunkie posts some more info about it soon.  :righton:
My score archive

cstarflare

EOJ

The timing more or less coincides with MFBL being available for download in the port. Maybe they made this as a bonus to those who play in the arcades?

Also makes you wonder if this will be DLC later. If you'll notice, after unlocking BL and ver 1.01, there's room on the Xbox port's menu screen for one more selectable mode.

My score archive

pixeljunkie

as far as differences go, not sure yet. I've only played it before a couple of times at a meetup. Hopefully get it side by side at Akraten's in March for extensive study.  =D

MrTie

Neat, are there any differences in the test menu settings then in normal BL, or is this your first BL board? Either way excited to here any new info that you can figure out.

adverse

So can I assume that this is out in arcades here?

Wonder if my local spot got it...

EOJ

It says "international" version? Something just for foreigners? Bizarre.
My score archive

Hive

just trying to imagine what they've tweaked, has got me really excited.

**hoping Adverse's arcade got the update**

EOJ

Check if the text is in English (mode select screen, endings). If so, that may be the only difference since it says "international" on the master ver.
If not, the plot thickens.
My score archive

adverse

It's not at shinjuku taito station so I doubt anywhere else has it.  Hey is possible though.  Kaneda or HUU?

EOJ

If it's just an international version, you won't see it in Japan. Quite bizarre that they would make an international PCB version of this particular game. Maybe when they were making the MFBL port they thought "what the hell?".

Interesting that the master ver is one day after the release of the Futari port in Japan.

If international, perhaps the difficulty was lessened and/or defaults altered in addition to some things translated into English? Only pixeljunkie can inform us right now.
My score archive

GaijinPunch

Kewing

wowowow... So out of the blue, it leaves me rather stunned.
However..
Quote from: EOJ on January 16, 2010, 10:14:26 PM
If international, perhaps the difficulty was lessened and/or defaults altered in addition to some things translated into English? Only pixeljunkie can inform us right now.
I think that's most probably the only differences it will have if they're only referring to making it international. It would be a bit odd to name it 2.0 if you only translated menus and story, and altered default settings, tho... So, who knows?

pixeljunkie

If it's just an international version, you won't see it in Japan. Quite bizarre that they would make an international PCB version of this particular game. Maybe when they were making the MFBL port they thought "what the hell?".

Interesting that the master ver is one day after the release of the Futari port in Japan.

No english text option...endings are in Japanese [???]. Dificulty and extends are all identical from what I can tell from vids. I am really curious to find out what the hell the differences are IF ANY at this point. Still playing/digging. My brain is fried on bullets for the night.

edit: Oh! Also, all the art is identical as well.

brentsg

I would speculate that this has more to do with the distribution changeover from AMI to Annex than anything.  Perhaps all Cave goods sold by Hong Kong retailers will now be International Version PCBs. 

It still really doesn't make sense that they would reprogram, and apparently re-box games that have to be really low on stock at this point.  Maybe someone can find out if they are doing the same for other games which are still available new in Hong Kong.

EOJ

brentsg seems to have hit the nail on the head. I'd bet he is right, considering the timing of all relevant events. If so, it's just the same game, marked as a reprint. "Another ver" may just mean "a new print under a new distributor".

Is there an AMI logo when you start up the game? Perhaps the removal of that screen is the only real programming difference other than the title screen.

A neat curio, in any case.
My score archive

Hive

Quote from: EOJ on January 17, 2010, 01:06:22 AM
brentsg seems to have hit the nail on the head. I'd bet he is right, considering the timing of all relevant events. If so, it's just the same game, marked as a reprint. "Another ver" may just mean "a new print under a new distributor".

it still says "2.0", right?
That would make it reprogrammed to an extent.

EOJ

I don't see a "2.0" anywhere in the pics. Maybe that's just what Legend was calling it.
My score archive

emphatic

I now remember reading on Arcade Otaku a couple of months ago that someone was offered an "English" version when he was going to buy a brand new DFK kit from Legend. So what brentsg proposes rings true for me as well. Perhaps this hasn't "come to light" 'til now because many collectors buy these games either on release day (too early for updates) or second hand.

SuperPang

Quite bizarre that they would make an international PCB version of this particular game. Maybe when they were making the MFBL port they thought "what the hell?".
Cave apparently do English DFK boards to order, did anyone confirm that?

EDIT:  emphatic beat me to it. That was probably merely an "International version" produced after they parted company with AMI as well. I bet gameplay is the same.

grotto

pixeljunkie

I'll snap a pic of the CPU as well, it has a dated sticker across it that's also odd. Also, there is no english text anywhere. Hopefully someone can chime in officially about the "english DFK"

emphatic

Quote from: pixeljunkie on January 17, 2010, 11:27:20 AM
I'll snap a pic of the CPU as well, it has a dated sticker across it that's also odd. Also, there is no english text anywhere. Hopefully someone can chime in officially about the "english DFK"

Is the test menu changed? Perhaps there's a regional setting where language can be selected? Does the "only for use in Japan" say "only to be used outside of Japan"?

necpmf

I keep chuckling when I look at "another version". It's like they were programming it and someone was like "good god this is like the 50th time I've reprogrammed this board, I'm not even going to make a version number for it".

zlk

The next revision is rumored to be called the "YET another version."  :righton:

PsychoDiver

Quote from: zlk on January 17, 2010, 04:41:37 PM
The next revision is rumored to be called the "YET another version."  :righton:

Lol....with an additional pattern added to Larsa's arsenal!