Deathsmiles II X [JP X360, May 27th, 2010 | US X360 GoD, May 17th, 2011]

Started by EOJ, February 26, 2010, 11:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Another bug I've encountered a few times, and confirmed by a few others on 2Ch: some times the shot buttons stop working. I press them and nothing comes out. After letting off the buttons and trying again, they eventually start working again.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

dmauro

Quote from: lam47 on May 29, 2010, 10:45:58 PM
May I ask the people that do not like the 3D look of the game whether the gameplay, amount of bullets and patterns are enjoyable and distracting enough to overlook the (in my opinion) rather ropey 3D visuals?
I like the game, but I can get into easier Cave games (Deathsmiles is near, if not at the top of my list), and this one definitely seems to be really easy although I don't know how to play yet. I do like the game itself so far though. The levels are very easy and then some of the bosses like the EX boss and Satan Claws get some really nice and hard patterns that had me dodging bullets by the seat of my pants. The sperms bullets are fun, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong because it's soooo easy to fully recharge your hyper meter with them. The only time I'm without hyper is when I fuck up, but I guess that's just how this game is played.

I wish I hadn't paid $80 for this since because I'm pretty upset about the options the game does not offer, but I'm glad I can play it at all.

Pros: Cool game, there IS an option to turn off those god awful boss intro movies (I almost nearly got killed by sperm bullets one time before I figured out to turn them off), Arrange mode is interesting, it's easy to skip between game modes, there are online leaderboards for X and Arrange modes, Extra mode is entirely avoidable if you aren't an achievement whore :)

lam47

Thanks dmauro :)
I am a big DS fan as I like a lot of crap on screen and was hoping that DSII had a similar feel.
Since I just got Ketsui I think I will wait and see if there are any plans to patch the bugs first.
Thanks again mate.

EOJ

When you get this you should focus on mainly playing Arcade mode. For like a month, at least. X-Mode and Arrange are just bonus modes. They don't come close to the awesomeness of the original arcade version. Learn to play Arcade mode, you'll like it if you liked Deathsmiles. It's also much harder than either X-Mode or Arrange. I know I sound like a broken record here, but I see people talking about and judging "this game" and they're really not even mentioning Arcade mode (maybe they haven't even played it yet), they're just talking about X-Mode.

Cave really dropped the ball here. They could have offered the original scoring system in X-Mode, or had a mode called "360" that was widescreen with the new characters, but had the Arcade's scoring system. X-mode's system is really completely different from Arcade mode's. It's still good and fun, but Arcade's system is 10x better.

PS-Arrange mode is complete garbage. I didn't think they could do worse than Futari's arrange, but they proved me wrong. I have trouble even finishing a credit because it's so fucking boring and so fucking ugly with all the garbage on the screen all the time. It's basically a game of "wipe the crap off the screen over and over". When I want to do that I'll wash my car.
My score archive

emphatic

Can't believe I went and got this for myself as a birthday present.  :laugh: I haven't gotten the game yet (probably in the mail tomorrow) but I was kinda planning on playing this in my cabinet and that doesn't sound promising, especially as I wanted to play arcade mode first and foremost. I guess Ketsui will stay until I get the 1CC of Arcade mode or something else worthwhile is released.

EOJ

The X-Mode TLB Pigeon Blood Jitterbug is so easy to get to, and so easy to beat. I beat him without dying on my first try. Bleh.
My score archive

lam47

Christ! If arrange is worse than Futari arrange then Cave have seriously got to start thinking about these extra modes. Futari arrange is so stupid I didn't think it could get worse!

lawnspic

Did the same thing Emphatic, birthday was today and ordered from NCSX. I live on Long Island NY where they are located, should have it by Wed. Anyway, despite all the negative feedback from people playing this i purchased this going byEOJ's impression of the game. I figure that if he still enjoys it despite its flaws it cant be half bad. BTW hope i get a DLC card with it. I assume they are still selling there first shipment.

emphatic

Quote from: lawnspic on May 30, 2010, 07:12:38 PM
Did the same thing Emphatic, birthday was today and ordered from NCSX.

Congrats, man! Well, when I shop for gifts, it's things that the recipient wouldn't buy for him/herself in the first place but still enjoy because of the sentimental value. I guess DS2X falls well into that category.  =D Even if I got it for myself.

lmagus

Congrats to the two of you, I also did the same thing and bought as a birthday present, since mine was on the 29th.

It should hopefully arrive today, since I bought it last week =)

I'm also worried about all the impressions, but not too much about the game being easy since i can barely 1cc Deathsmiles =P

CRI

can i join the club?  :)
i would have ordered it anyway but since it arrive at my birthday week it's a nice bonus present.
too bad no one was home today to sign for the package so i have to wait one more day.

can't wait to give arcade mode a try.  :righton:

Monouchi

I will join the club too as DSII will arrive next week and thats my birthday week.   :righton:
Have to start though with the tedious work to get a Xbox360 all wired up to an Egret II.

lawnspic

People are complaining about the aspect ratio as i assume it was geared more towards the HD format. Luckily i have a Sony 36 inch 4:3 HD TV with widescreen mode. This is definitely one of the best TV's for older games and newer. Only drawback is you sacrifice some screen size on a 4:3 HD Vs using a proprietary widescreen HD TV.  I guess standard CRT users are out of luck unfortunately.

dmauro

The 27th was my birthday so I picked thi up as a gift for myself as well. :)

I'll try playing some more arcade mode even though it's so tiny. I was referring to x mode in my last post.

brentsg

I played this in my birthday suit this weekend, while listening to the arrange sountrack.   :righton:

EOJ

Update on the patch. Asada lists the following additional fixes:

-Clear bonus bug (this gave over 2billion in clear bonus)
-Secret achievement "get over 6 billion points in X-mode" not unlocking bug (it randomly unlocks now, they are researching as to why)
-The inability to attach a keyboard to the X360 while the game is running
-A bug in Co-op mode where Rosa's familiar would not shoot anything
-Glitch with the button config on the 2P side
-"Some other things"

All online leaderboards will be wiped when the patch arrives in mid-June.

http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2010/05/post-6dde.html

They better fix the damn Arcade mode ranking that doesn't allow you to save more than one score.
My score archive

adverse

Can we reopen the X mode thread?  Clear bonus is borked, but non-clear scores still should be acceptable.

EOJ

Nah, I don't see the point. There's also the infinite point bug on one of the bosses. There may be other things that are messing up non-clear scores as well. Just wait until the patch is released in a couple weeks. Too many problems right now - I'm reading of new bugs discovered every day.

In a couple weeks you shouldn't be getting non-clear scores anyway.  :righton:
My score archive

dmauro

shmup forum cross post for CRT fullscreen arcade mode:

Quote from: dmauro
Quote from: thamasha69
QuoteOn my 29" PVM CRT, if I set Arcade Mode's screen size options to 150x150 and the overall game options to 130x100 (or maybe I mean 100x130), arcade mode is certainly playable, ad fills most of the screen

Thank you for this.  I was unaware of the overall options resizing.  Between that and my monitor's controls, I have full screen 4:3 (xbox 360 at 1280x720 vga).  Sorry for the crap pic:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4631/securedownloadq.jpg
Great idea! The actual width you want is 134 (I turned the wallpaper on and increased until the wallpaper was completely gone). I actually make it a little thinner though just because for some reason this game puts out a wide signal and even with my hori size monitor knob turned all the way down, it still goes off screen a bit. :?

I've got arcade mode running full screen in my astro cab now. :D

EOJ

SIN made a list of all the bugs and problems in Arcade mode. He also took the time to put up tons of screenshot comparisons between the PCB and X360 version. Amazingly, the X360 version is clearly a port, not an emulation. Some background elements are MISSING in the X360 version (like the fence in the beginning of stage 1). You can also see how "white" everything is in comparison to the PCB:

http://sinmoon.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/190/

A few examples:

Missing fence in X360 version:

Fucked up super "white" last part of last stage:

Messed up super white credit roll:
My score archive

bcass

In that first in-game comparison shot (http://file.sinmoon.blog.shinobi.jp/10_05_31_1.jpg) the 360 screen looks like it has significantly more detail in it than the arcade screen.  The houses have more features on them and there is a christmas tree missing from the bottom shot, yet in the next set of comparison shots, the details are present in both shots.  Does this indicate that the arcade version suffers from some sort of pop-up?

The 360 version definitely looks better in this shot:

http://file.sinmoon.blog.shinobi.jp/10_05_31_16.jpg

lawnspic

Colors seem a lot more vibrant and saturated compared to the PCB. The 360 looks better IMO despite being a little brite. That can be fixed with a little contrast tweak.

EOJ

SIN says the overly bright "whiteness" in the map screen and first chapter screen are a bug, they only show up in D4/HDMI connections.  :whyioughtta: Through component, RGB, etc they look as in the Arcade. Hope they fix this.

Also, this is pretty horrible:

The snake in the 360 version is 1/2 the size of it in the Arcade. Unbelievable. You can also see the stupid wire-frame box that circles your character & your option in the 360 version. It's not in the Arcade, and this also looks to be a bug (or just sloppy programming). It's pretty annoying when you're playing the game.
My score archive

lawnspic

the wire frame is also present in the first DS as well, does that snake zoom in when it comes on screen? or is that really two different size snakes? i cant tell as i have not played either

EOJ

I can't see it in the first DS (running through HDMI or RGB - haven't tried it with other input types).
My score archive

lawnspic

Quote from: EOJ on June 01, 2010, 09:14:55 PM
I can't see it in the first DS (running through HDMI or RGB - haven't tried it with other input types).

yeah its hard to see but its there, i running it on HD 4:3 CRT via component input. I also watched several youtube clips of both the 360 and arcade versions and it was present. I had to confirm as i thought my xbox was malfunctioning and i just plain could not believe it being on next gen hardware

lam47

I have seen the wire frame in ds1, hdmi.

EOJ

Hmm, I'll have a look again. It's definitely not in the Arcade PCB though.
My score archive

dmauro

The boxes spinning around your character and familiar are actually really annoying to me. I think it's because they're not aliased so they're all jaggy and distracting. :(

EOJ

Another problem with scoring in X-Mode: if you put the boss movies ON, your fever mode counter stops counting down quite a bit before the boss appears. If you have the movies OFF, it doesn't stop going down until just before the boss appears (when it just pauses for a second). This creates higher scoring possibilities for those who play with the movies ON.

My score archive