Espgaluda 2 port slowdown accuracy

Started by EOJ, April 14, 2010, 01:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

There is no difference in slowdown between Arcade and 360 modes. Basically, a lot of slowdown was removed, and a few useless bits of slowdown were annoyingly added. Here's a list and summary:

REMOVED:
-Bits in Stage 1
-Stage 1 boss patterns
-Bits in Stage 2
-Stage 2 boss phase 1 and phase 2
-Bits throughout stage 3, but the second half is missing quite a lot on the large ships.
-Bits on Stage 3 boss (nothing major though)
-Stage 4 boss (multiple patterns)
-Bits in Stage 5
-Stage 5 boss first pattern (this is pretty annoying, making the pattern much harder than the PCB)
-Bits in Stage 6
-Stage 6 boss phase 2

Stage 4 feels OK to me, nothing popped out, so it's pretty good. Stage 6 Boss 2 (TLB) also feels pretty accurate, which is nice.

ADDED:
Start of Stage 2 - weird pointless slowdown.

DIFFERENT:
Zesshikai feels a bit different in speed. Transitions in and out of Zesshikai and Kakusei (including their respective over modes) feel very close to the PCB.

Overall this is a big step back from the great Deathsmiles Arcade mode port, and ultimately also a step back from the flawed Futari 1.5/BL ports.
The slowdown accuracy is, unfortunately, on par with the poor DSMBL port. I feel it's about 80~85% accurate overall in Espgaluda II. Does this ruin the game like the missing slowdown does for DSMBL? No, I don't think so. While bits are missing in many places, the game plays smoothly, and most of the bits that are missing are not required for scoring (which is the difference with DSMBL). While Zesshikai feels a bit different, its efficacy is basically the same, and I didn't notice any spots that were harder to score on with Zesshikai in the port compared to the PCB, except the Stage 5 boss.

So there you have it. Not a really accurate port, but still a fun, playable game. Unfortunately, due to all the differences, and the slight increased difficulty in the port compared to the PCB, scores are not comparable between the two versions. Bottom line: if you're a serious scorer and you like the game, you'll probably want to upgrade to the PCB eventually. Regardless, you should keep the port for the fun extra modes and the great training mode.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

dimmu--borgir

One weird thing is regarding the slowdown on lvl 2 is that if you choose training, the slowdown is there but if you restart (not going back to the meny) the slowdown is gone...