Main Menu

Comparative port sales

Started by EOJ, May 01, 2010, 03:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOJ

Media Create numbers (First Week / Overall)
Deathsmiles - 19,635 / 30,192
Futari 1.5 - 15,747 / 18,303
Ketsui - 9,575 / ??
Deathsmiles IIX - 16,000/ ??

Famitsu numbers (Overall)
Galuda 2 - 15,000
DOJBLEX - 12,000

Numbers from Cave
(Overall)
Deathsmiles - 35,000
Futari 1.5 - 28,000
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

EOJ

Yep. DSIIX should sell at least 25~30K in its first week, I think. After all, Otomedius sold 28K. 3D graphics + scantily clad girls + horizontal shooting = big sales.
My score archive

gsl

That's crazy that Futari's been dragging so much after the first week.

antares

According to the latest Cave interview that was published on eurgamer.de a short while ago

Eurogamer:
How many copies of Deathsmiles and Futari were sold for the XBox 360?

Makoto Asada: Deathsmiles 35,000. Mushihimesama Futari 28,000.

http://www.eurogamer.de/articles/espgaluda-2-interview?page=2

(the interview is in german)

EOJ

Wow, 28K for Futari? That's a pretty huge number for a full-priced vertical shooter in this day and age.
My score archive

EOJ

The Media Create sales list DSIIX with 16,000 sold in its first 4 days of availability:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/ranking/2010-05-24/
My score archive

EOJ

Andriasang mentions the company who made Students of the Round for X360 said 50% of their sales were from Amazon.co.jp, which Media Create does not include in their numbers. They also say online retailers are the main source for X360 sales. So when you see Media Create numbers for a Cave port you can double it to get a more accurate approximation of the amount an X360 port has sold. This also explains why Cave's sales numbers (in the first post) are so much higher than what Media Create or Famitsu report.
My score archive

espibara

Thanks for this info EOJ its really useful

insigniadeck

so basicly deathsmiles is the most money making cave port?

espibara

The irony is I personally think the deathsmiles series is quite weak, I enjoyed deathsmiles but deathsmiles II soured the experience for me

Special World

Quote from: espibara on April 10, 2011, 05:45:00 PM
The irony is I personally think the deathsmiles series is quite weak, I enjoyed deathsmiles but deathsmiles II soured the experience for me
I don't see how this is ironic. The Deathsmiles games are horizontal and allow per-level difficulty selects, making them a great entry into scrolling shooters.

Not quite sure how DSIIX ruined you on the series, either. The graphics are pretty crap, but it's a very fun, fast-paced game with great music. Even if you hated it, I don't know how it could have ruined the first for you...

insigniadeck

also lets not forget deathsmiles official is release out of japan as well...

StarCreator

I'm fairly certain the numbers being charted in this thread only includes Japanese brick-and-mortar retail sales.

insigniadeck

moozooh

I don't think there's been any recent info on DFK, but it should be(come) at least comparable with Galuda 2 which has recently got a Platinum release.
<dan76> As it is I'll have to endure high res - life's hard.

iconoclast

Some new numbers from Media Create: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428423

DeathSmiles IIX: Hell's Christmas (Cave) {2010.05.27} - 22.694 / 22.694
Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra (5pb.) {2010.04.22} - 17.951 / 17.951
Espgaluda II: Black Label (Cave) {2010.02.25} - 16.442 / 16.442
DoDonPachi Resurrection (Cave) {2010.11.25} - 10.902 / 10.902
DeathSmiles [Platinum Collection] (Cave) {2010.04.08} - 5.616 / 5.616 

moozooh

Wow, I seriously thought Ketsui has done a lot worse, what with all the rapidly plummeting prices. :o

EOJ

Maybe a lot of those were sold at reduced prices? Anyway, it did pretty darn well. And keep in mind that number excludes all online sales, so it easily sold over 20K.
My score archive

brentsg

I don't believe anyone's numbers.

EOJ

Looks like Akai Katana Shin sold 5,600 at retail shops in its first three days. Remember, this number is from retail shops only. Adding online sales would surely double this, if not more:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/02/media_create_sales/
My score archive

Let_It_Be

Quote from: moozooh on April 14, 2011, 11:32:12 AM
I don't think there's been any recent info on DFK, but it should be(come) at least comparable with Galuda 2 which has recently got a Platinum release.

Do you believe that the combined BL and 1.5 sales are roughly equivalent to Galuda 2's sales, or are you only taking one version into account?

I'm very curious about the sales differences between the versions, it's too bad there isn't any new info

moozooh

I was thinking 1.5 only. It's very unlikely that 1.5+BL would sell less than Galuda 2, especially since both are excellent ports (with BL even being superior to the arcade release).

Let_It_Be

Muchi Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets is currently labeled as "Out of Stock/Out of Print" on Play-Asia's page.

I'm assuming this means that it's flying off the shelves, does anyone have some figures on this?

EOJ

I think it sold about 6K in its first week in Media Create (which, again, doesn't count any online sales and at least 50% of all Cave port sales seem to be through Amazon, Play-asia, and the like). Since then, it's been selling out regularly at Play-asia and other sites. Amazon Japan has the LE discounted to about 4300 yen, and seems to be clearing them out.

I wouldn't expect any more printings of this other than a possible Platinum Hits edition some time down the road.
My score archive

Let_It_Be

Why would they do such a short run on this collection? I thought they were making a decent amount of money from this.  Now I'm upset I didn't have the money on me when this was available :facepalm:

Looks like I'm going to have to pray for a platinum hits run now.

EOJ

I'd estimate it did at least 15K. Not bad for a port of two games that they seem to have slapped together pretty quickly, and it probably met their expectations.

As for buying a copy, check ebay, forums, and other sites. Ncsx.com still has the regular edition in stock, but it's a steep $88.90. I'd guess that's why it's still in stock.

If you could find someone in Japan willing to buy the LE for you (it's only 4300 on Amazon.co.jp), that might be a cheaper way to find it.
My score archive

StarCreator

NCS's pricing isn't terrible considering it's the day one retail price - they rarely do price drops unless they're really desperate to get something out of their warehouses.  It makes sense since they've already paid full price to import it, so dropping the price would just mean they're throwing their own money away.

They do eventually run out (note they're out of Deathsmiles IIX regular edition, but not the limited), so it's still inadvisable to wait too long if you exhaust any cheaper options.

Let_It_Be

If DSIIX is running out, that must mean DFK 1.5 should be running low soon as well.

Looks like the final sales figures could come in then.

pestilence

PA also listed Otomedius X as out of print for a day. I wouldn't take them listing it as that to mean it's gone for good. I'm pretty sure OOP/OOS is just how their website updates once the on hand stock has been depleted.

EOJ

Quote from: pestilence on June 17, 2011, 02:16:12 PM
I'm pretty sure OOP/OOS is just how their website updates once the on hand stock has been depleted.

No, usually when the stock on hand has been depleted they change the status to "1 week", or "on backorder". I've never seen them change it to "Out of print/out of stock" unless they can't get it anymore, though your Otomedius X example seems to be an exception.

Quote from: StarCreator on June 17, 2011, 07:58:08 AM
NCS's pricing isn't terrible considering it's the day one retail price

Ah, I thought I saw it as $83.90 back when it was up for preorder (and soon after its release date). I didn't know it was $88.90 there from the start, I thought they raised the price a bit.
My score archive